Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading these forums voraciously for the past few days, but have not been able to find an answer to my biggest question: Will my truck safely pull my travel trailer, or should I get air bags, or an equalizer hitch, or both?

Truck: 2008 5.7 L Tundra DC (6'+ bed) with heavy haul package. I just bought the truck a few days ago after towing the 'new' trailer with my 2002 Tundra (it pulled it okay, but I was looking for an excuse to buy a newer model).

Trailer: 1976 Silver Streak (bumper pull). I have not been able to take it to a scale. The guy I'm buying it from says it is about 5,500 lbs, and I don't know the tongue weight.

I plan to live in it this summer and travel the west coast. I know I need a trailer brake controller (think I'll get a Tekonsha Prodigy) and am contemplating some type of camera/mirror to hook-up while traveling solo, but hate to spend more than I need to on hitch/suspension if I don't need to.

My apologies in advance for asking a question that is probably buried in here somewhere...

Jim

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
personally i'd never pull any type of travel trailer w/o a WD hitch. im sure u can do it but why not? peace of mind for one thing.

to answer your camera deal, look for my thread "budget versions of popular mods" or somethign like that. the OEM style overhead monitor and universal rear camera for 100 bucks off ebay, super easy to install. mine is at the top of my license plate and looks right at my hitch. i can hitch up to the boat w/no issues at all, perfectly every time now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same concern when I bought my travel trailer, but decided to try it with just a w/d hitch and see how it towed. I bought an equal-i-zer brand hitch, and it tows great with no other mods. My trailer is 27' and weighs about 6500lbs loaded.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It's your house, do what you want, but I'd want a weight-distributing hitch. Especially driving on Highway 1. It gets a tad bit windy along the coast - not exactly the ideal time for your trailer to start walking all over the place.

As for air bags, hook up your trailer and see how much the truck squats in the rear - and then decide if you're happy with the amount of suspension travel you're left with.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I still use a WD in my 3/4 ton. They are worth it!

PS. I'll sell you my P3 for 75 shipped, although I don't have the Toyota cable. You'll have to buy that or use the harness that comes with the control and splice it to your truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been towing a 7000 pound trailer ever year from Pa to Florida and back, 2600 miles for 15 winters with a F 150 then a Chevy 1500, neither had air bags, when you hook up your weight distribution hitch your truck should come down even in the front and the back, here is a good site to go to , RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information, and go to the tow section and do a search, you will find the right way to hook one up, I just bought a Tundra with the 5 .7 can,t wait to tow with it,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts