Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I'm waiting for most of the hype to settle, (and my cash flow rollercoaster to calm itself) before I go and try to buy a Tundra. While I'm waiting, I'm debating some of the options. My Tundra will be a Crewmax limited with almost all the goodies. The ones I'm having the most trouble nailing down concern the bed. My first choice of vehicles is a new Lincoln Town Çar, but the wife thought the trunk might not be big enough (yeah right), so I said, okay, let's get a four door truck, the new Tundras are very nice. This works to my advantage as she'll never drive it.

Now since our primary use of the Crewmax will be 3 hour drives to see family for the weekend and the bed will be used as a trunk, I was thinking of giving it the full treatment with factory tonneau and full factory bed rug. However, there will be occasional hauling of trees/mulch/fertilizer/etc. from the local garden center. While I've transported the like in my SAAB 9-3 hatchback, the cleanup of the upholstery wasn't enjoyable. This then suggest to me that Line-X and no cover would be in order. However, this would then necessitate waterproof luggage for our travels, and some way to lock it up in the bed. Maybe I'm trying to do too much with this thing.

Any suggestions? TIA.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've ordered my Tundra with a Toyota hard tonneau cover and bed liner. I want to be able to lock the contents and seal them from water. But I am going to hang the cover above the truck in my garage for the times when it's not needed.

Speaking of locks, I ordered the locking gas cap too. I don't know why the don't just include one with the truck instead of non-locking. With the price of gas these days, it's precious cargo. Plus, I don't want any Tundra haters dumping sugar in my tank either.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put a bakflip cover on the bed of my Crewmax and I love it. Like you I weighed all the options and this ended up being my final choice. It is a hard cover and is very secure. It can not be opened without the tailgate being opened and of course the Tundra has a standard locking tailgate. The bakflip has three sections on the Crewmax and you simply flip up the sections you need to when hauling something large. I like it because you do not have to remove it when you want to haul large items. Also, when it is down it is secure and free from water. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Everyone,

I'm waiting for most of the hype to settle, (and my cash flow rollercoaster to calm itself) before I go and try to buy a Tundra. While I'm waiting, I'm debating some of the options. My Tundra will be a Crewmax limited with almost all the goodies. The ones I'm having the most trouble nailing down concern the bed. My first choice of vehicles is a new Lincoln Town Çar, but the wife thought the trunk might not be big enough (yeah right), so I said, okay, let's get a four door truck, the new Tundras are very nice. This works to my advantage as she'll never drive it.

Now since our primary use of the Crewmax will be 3 hour drives to see family for the weekend and the bed will be used as a trunk, I was thinking of giving it the full treatment with factory tonneau and full factory bed rug. However, there will be occasional hauling of trees/mulch/fertilizer/etc. from the local garden center. While I've transported the like in my SAAB 9-3 hatchback, the cleanup of the upholstery wasn't enjoyable. This then suggest to me that Line-X and no cover would be in order. However, this would then necessitate waterproof luggage for our travels, and some way to lock it up in the bed. Maybe I'm trying to do too much with this thing.

Any suggestions? TIA.
It sounds like you may be a good candidate for an Undercover hard tonneau cover. You can go to their website (http://www.undercoverinfo.com/index.html) to find a dealer in your area so that you can see one in real life (the display should suffice). I think they look really good. It sounds like you want to keep a hard cover on most of the time but remove it every now and then. I don't know of any hard cover that weighs less than the Undercover and is as easy to remove. It even comes with hooks for you to hang it in the garage when it's not on your truck. (I don't have an Undercover but I really liked it - I bought an Extang Trifecta because it better fit my needs).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I visited the undercover site ,does anyone know if they have one ready for our tundra's?I'd also like to know the cost and if it will fit with our rail track system in place. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I visited the undercover site ,does anyone know if they have one ready for our tundra's?I'd also like to know the cost and if it will fit with our rail track system in place. :D
Last I heard they were targeting the end of May (that estimate is a month old and I haven't followed up). Undercovers seem to be selling around $600 with $42 shipping (e.g. Undercover Tonneau Covers available at TruckAddons.com). I haven't heard anything about how it will deal with the Deck Rail System.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I put a bakflip cover on the bed of my Crewmax and I love it. Like you I weighed all the options and this ended up being my final choice. It is a hard cover and is very secure. It can not be opened without the tailgate being opened and of course the Tundra has a standard locking tailgate. The bakflip has three sections on the Crewmax and you simply flip up the sections you need to when hauling something large. I like it because you do not have to remove it when you want to haul large items. Also, when it is down it is secure and free from water. Just my two cents.

does it work with the deck rails?

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is the only problem with the bakflip. The side rails are in the way of the clamps for the bakflip cover. What we did with mine was remove both of the rails on the side of the bed. The rail at the front of the bed does not interfere with the cover so it can be left in the truck. I put two of the hooks on the front rail and of course you have the four that are on the bottom of the truck bed giving you a total of 6. If you want to keep all of the bedrails then the bakflip will not work unless you choose to mount them lower under the bakflip clamps. Cover is low profile and very secure for those not concerned as much about the deck rails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts