Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the fairly new owner of a 2000 Tundra Limited Access Cab and absolutely have fallen in love. The truck was purchased with a Borla exhaust system, toolbox and sprayed in beadliner previously installed. I recently added a K&N FIPK myself and am very satisfied. I am looking for a little more punch though. I was wondering what mods I would have to do to install a UNIChip? I have done some research and have found a website where I can get one for $671.00. Any suggestions??? 2000 Toyota Tundra Unichip Performance Chip <-- link to chip I have priced

·
Registered
984 Posts
get it. wont regret it. espeacilly since i had to pay $800+ for mine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Get one! for the pre vvti tundras it works great, i love mine, execpt when i go to the pump and have to get the 91 octane, becasue i dont want to turn it off!!! The prices have dropped on them alot lately, i got mine for around $700. You wont regret it!

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Get one! for the pre vvti tundras it works great, i love mine, execpt when i go to the pump and have to get the 91 octane, becasue i dont want to turn it off!!! The prices have dropped on them alot lately, i got mine for around $700. You wont regret it!
I got mine used from a TS'er for about half of what they sell for new. It definately kicks a$$. I had a full tank of 87 octane when I installed mine. I didn't have any predetonation or dieseling on 87, though my highway gas mileage sank to 15mpg.

Would a higher octane actually help?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Get the chip! Also drop the FIPK and go back to the stock filter or a True Flow filter...that's what the chip was mapped on, you'll get the best performance that way anyhow. They have a map available for headers, exhaust, etc...just let them know what you have and you'll get the correct map :tu:.

Run midgrade and the B map :D. You'll never go back...

I haven't noticed a difference running premium vs midgrade, but there is a difference running midgrade and regular...a very slight difference in mileage. On my truck (long tubes, u/d pulley) the "cutoff" for which grade to run is about 2.50/gal, but I've started running midgrade all the time...performs a hair better :D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you wouldnt have to do anything other than just check that I have a catback exhaust and the FIPK? I thought I read a lot of stuff somewhere about having to send them off to get programmed and stuff and didnt know if I would have to?

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Get the chip! Also drop the FIPK and go back to the stock filter or a True Flow filter...that's what the chip was mapped on, you'll get the best performance that way anyhow. They have a map available for headers, exhaust, etc...just let them know what you have and you'll get the correct map :tu:.
You talking the Trueflow Intake, or just the filter?

If I add headers, exhaust, etc., how does that work? Do I mail it back to them and they reprogram it, or what?

Run midgrade and the B map :D. You'll never go back...

I haven't noticed a difference running premium vs midgrade, but there is a difference running midgrade and regular...a very slight difference in mileage. On my truck (long tubes, u/d pulley) the "cutoff" for which grade to run is about 2.50/gal, but I've started running midgrade all the time...performs a hair better :D.
Did the higher octane improve your mileage? (Compared to lo-test)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That's a good price. I thought I was done modding my truck, but maybe not. How about a group buy?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I second a group buy. Can you guys give some more detail on the performance enhancement, mileage improval, things like that? I am looking to do an engine mod but I want to do one that is gonna deliver some bang for my buck

Ryan

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I second a group buy. Can you guys give some more detail on the performance enhancement, mileage improval, things like that? I am looking to do an engine mod but I want to do one that is gonna deliver some bang for my buck

Ryan
They did a Unichip group buy back in 2004. Maybe you can get up enough interest to do another one.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
how much hp do you gain out of this? seems interesting?
I have not had it dyno'd so I don't really know. But I can feel it in the "butt-ometer."

I took it for a 250 mile round trip last weekend. I can feel the extra torque when I do a high-speed accelleration, like to pass an 18-wheeler. The extra oomph is enough that the tranny isn't so quick to downshift as before. :)

One downside: I could usually get about 19mpg on the Interstate. This trip I got 15mpg. :(

This is on the "A" map on regular (87 octane) gas. I'm going to let this tank get real low, and fill up with 89-octane and switch to the "B" map to see if it does any better. :devil:

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I forget what the no-mod gain is...but it's 15-20# torque at peak, and gains all through the range. Verndog still has all the dyno charts on his website.

It was tested with the True Flow intake "kit", which means the stock intake and a True Flow filter. Drop the FIPK and you'll see a better gain.

Depending how I run, I get 0.5-1mpg better on midgrade and B map than regular on B map...that's where I got the crossover at $2.50/gallon for regular. At that point it's about the same, money per mile, to run midgrade on my truck. YMMV, my truck is heavy with large tires.

If you add stuff, just send it back for a reprogram. When we did this, we got one free reprogram, subsequent are 100$. They mapped the chip a few different ways, best ask them since I don't remember the configurations they tested.

-Sean

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have wanted the UniChip for awhile now! and the only reason i haven't done it, is that i have a a minor harding tranny shift from 2nd to 3rd (like everyone else it seems) i just dont want the extra power to make it worse and shorten the life of my transmission even more

Ken

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Here's another vote of interest in a group buy, if someone wants to do it, I'm down.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i'm definitly going to unichip mine but i want to get my mods done so i won't have to have it reprogrammed or anything. i wish we had a unichip place here in maryland so they could fine tune it after i get it. from everything i've read the unichip does great things!

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I have not had it dyno'd so I don't really know. But I can feel it in the "butt-ometer."

I took it for a 250 mile round trip last weekend. I can feel the extra torque when I do a high-speed accelleration, like to pass an 18-wheeler. The extra oomph is enough that the tranny isn't so quick to downshift as before. :)

One downside: I could usually get about 19mpg on the Interstate. This trip I got 15mpg. :(

This is on the "A" map on regular (87 octane) gas. I'm going to let this tank get real low, and fill up with 89-octane and switch to the "B" map to see if it does any better. :devil:
OK. So I've been running on the "B" map on 89 octane now for about a quarter-tanks worth. What am I supposed to notice that is different from 87 octane on "A" map? :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts