Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my new 07'TundraDoubleCab4X4 and preparing for a 1,200 trip from Daytona Beach Fl to Upstate NY and in looking for a hard Tonneau Cover for it I called undercover. They told me it would be maybe another 6 weeks until they have the first ones off the assembly line.

So went the ebay rout and bought a cheapie Torza Sure-Fit from BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com for 150.00 plus 32.00 for 2nd FedEx. I’m hoping this
Cover will solve my immediate need and later this summer when Undercover has their channels full I can go that way.

Has anyone any experience with Undercover vrs other Hardcovers?

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the input.[/FONT]

·
Registered
848 Posts
i called snugtop for my truck and they said it was going to cost like 1300 bucks .. so i think i will do without it they said it would be another 4 weeks till they have it

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I ordered a BAKflip from realtrucks.com for 590 and got a free $30 shopping card. Use discount code TOY and you'll save about $45 with free shipping. I don't know how long it will take to get it though. A good picture of an installed one is on this forum somwhere.:tu:

·
Registered
237 Posts
So went the ebay rout and bought a cheapie Torza Sure-Fit from BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com for 150.00 plus 32.00 for 2nd FedEx. I’m hoping this cover will solve my immediate need and later this summer when Undercover has their channels full I can go that way
Please let us know how this Torza Sure Fit cover works on your DC. I'm looking to buying a soft cover for my CrewMax as well. I'm driving up to Toronto the end of this month and would like to have a cover installed before this trip. I'm a firm beleiver that a Tonneau Cover helps with gas mileage:tu:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:confused:Still waiting for the cover. Dealer said distributor sent it to another customer (mistakenly). So they are to pick it up tomorow and promissed to overnight it so I'de get it for Saturday. Will let you know how this shakes out..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cover arrived yesterday via FedEx. The good news:I had it assembled and on the truck in less than 1 1/2 hour. It looks really great. The bad news: if it only fit!! The clamps won't allow it to be centered on bed and it's at least 1-1 1/2 inches short.:mad:

Called the dealer and he conferenced the Mfr on the call. They admitted that sent the wrong clamps and Monday would overnight the correct ones. But as far as being to short, they were going to have the product engineer call me back.

Within 1 hour the owner of Advantage calls me and tells me he will personally first thing Monday morning go down to a friendly Toyota dealership and try the install himself. Not to worry, he says, about length etc. Because he will have a new one made that 'fits' and overnighted to me Monday evening. This will then go into production as the real Toyota DC 6.5' cover and distributed through their channels.

I had no Idea I was going to be a Guinna Pig when I ordered this thing. But I guess someone has to be?:eek:

Will let you know more as it continues to shake out..:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I was at my dealer on Thursday, they had a DC with a Retrax cover installed. So, it looks like Retrax has them for the Tundra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my new Crewmax Limited 4x4 w/short bed and want a folding cover.
Does anyone know or have any experience with the folding type.
The cost seems to vary wildly and it's not always the more you pay the better quality so just trying to do my homework before I buy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an Extang trifold. It took about 1/2 hour to install and is snug and waterproof. It looks good. Two drawbacks, though. First, if you fill the bed side to side all of the way back, it is hard to reach the release mechanism to open it. Second, the front 1/3 does not flip, so you have to reach under it to load/unload. Another "+" is that you can remove it in about 30 secs if you need to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered a hard Snugtop and am waiting for it to come in as they ordered the proper paint code. It's been about 2 weeks, so probable another week or so. It was about $1000, though

I'll post a pic when I get it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bakflip has had some quality controll issues of late. I have had an ARE hard cover in the past and it was great. I checked on Snugtop and was told $1100 installed. Could take up to four weeks to get exact color. Cheers.

·
Happy Member
292 Posts
I have a snugtop tonneau on my 07 DC 5.7 Limited Silver Sky matallic. It fits great on the bed rails. I sure do like mine and it looks great, also put a Bedrug in. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I just had my A.R.E. LSII installed and it fits like a glove, really sets up the truck's looks. The carpet liner also matches the Bedrug inside so it looks custom. It is a HEAVY lid but I don't plan on removing it very often and it does raise up pretty high, I was able to fit a 40 gallon water heater upright on the bed with the lid raised. I looked at all the other aftermarket offers and for $1150 installed the LSII was my best choice. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put the Undercover on my DC and have been very happy. Great fit, strong, and easy to remove. Good luck with your search.
Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all,

My name is Julian Maimin and I am the owner of BAK Industries.

After reading many comments and questions on this site about BakFlip, I thought I would share the most up to date information on BakFlip G2 with all of you.

After sending out a few thousand BakFlip G1 covers between Feb and June of this year, we unfortunately came to find out that many of the components used were ultimately failing. This was largely a result of defective rubber seals / 3M adhesive combination which we only found out about due to failures in the market. There were a few issues with gas struts as well on the G1, which put an uneccessary amount of strain on the covers, but the seals seemed to be the primary plaguing issue.

After much hair pulling, frustration and effort, I, along with my key staff sat down and decided to re-engineer the BakFlip from top to bottom, rather than try to put a bandage on the G1. The result is the BakFlip G2 which we introduced late in July of this year.

The new G2 is a far more robust product. The first change made was to the seals. Rather than rely on adhesives, we redesigned the panel frames to accommodate a rubber seal that applied with a tongue and groove design. Kind of like a lock and key. The rubber is fed onto the frames and has resulted in a superb finish which is as strong as nails and absolutely cannot fail.

Next we got away from having to use any tools. All you need now is a single wrench. The install is far shorter and the components used are professional grade knobs etc.

We also changed the Aluminum on the cover, adding 28% more aluminum. The result is heavier panels. In addition the aluminum panel frames have no tape under them. The design underneath encompasses integrated drains, rendering the G2 almost 100% water-tight.

The gas struts never did lock properly on the G1 and as mentioned, put unecessary strain on the unit. We therefor changed to a locking arm-stay on each side. This puts no pressure on the cover and will also keep the cover locked in place so you can
drive with it open.

The latches under the cover are now modular. They can be slid fom side to side which allows a real tweaking of the locking feature if required.

All in all, the new BakFlip G2, although similar looking in appearance, has undergone a complete overhail. The result is a phenominal cover that will surely walk away with most awards in it's category this year at SEMA.

I have posted a video of the G2 on YouTube at the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/v/NWH0r7gAjsc

I invite all of you to review it and share your comments and suggestions with me at my personal e mail address : [email protected]

I'd like to leave you with an assurance that I, along with my entire coimpany is 100% dedicated to producing the finest truck bed covers on the market. If we are not, I need to hear about it. I believe in this new G2 with all of my being and trust that you will as well.

Thank you all for the support you've shown over the years and thank you for your honesty. It's allowed us to make a brilliant product.

Kindest regards,

Julian Maimin - CEO
BAK Industries
7307 Coldwater Canyon Ave.
N. Hollywood CA 91605
(818) 764-0031 Fax (818) 764-4750
bak_home.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts