Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there is ALOT of threads on this but nothing that is really current so I'm starting one. First I have a 2008 Tundra DC and am wanting a tonneau cover. I was almost set on getting a BakFlip but after seeing some older threads I'm having seconds thoughts. Does anyone have one installed on there Tundra that is current like the G-2, HD or F-1?

Also I'm looking to get the rail system as my Tundra did not come with it. I want to get the aluminum cargo divider as well but I don't know if the cargo divider will fit with a "bakflip" style cover installed. If anyone has current pics of this installed please share! :tu:

Anyways I want everyones thoughts about their CURRENT tonneau cover situation such as wear and tear, fading, etc. Like I said I want the BakFlip G-2 or the HD but I don't want it of it's gonna fall apart in less then a year. And I'll need one before the end of this month as tailgating season is getting closer! I want a "bakflip" style cover and if someone has anyother style please chime in as I'm open to any brand. Thanks in advance​

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in addition... Basically from reading other threads, BakFlip has enhanced their covers with better materials so I would think they would last longer and not fall apart. Does anyone have any current opinions on these covers such as the G-2 or the HD? Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm actually in the process of selling my undercover tonneau and factory deck rail system to go with the bakflip f1. In order to use the factory deck rail system with any bakflip you have to order it specifically with the correct brakets that lower the system about 2 inches to make room for the clamps and cover. I don't like the look of the lowered deck rail system and I don't use it very often so I'm just going to eliminate it.

I don't think there's enough room below the divider to use it with a lowered deck rail system. I'm just going by what I've seen online, I'm only 95% sure I'm right. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I was looking at it as well. I know when getting the bakflip you have to order it special as in telling them you have a rail system. But I notice with the alumium cargo divider I don't think the knob will work as it goes over the rail system. Kinda sucks but I can just get the cargo net just just fab something up from scratch.

So you are getting the F1? Can you tell me why? I'm on the fence with the bakflips in general.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only reason that I'm looking into it is because there have been one too many times when I'm at the Home Depot and I buy something unexpectedly that doesn't fit under the solid cover. It's not that big a deal, I just drive home with the struts detached and the cover laying on the purchase. I'm just really picky and that annoys me to the point I want a folding cover. The Undercover is a great cover and removes easily, you just have to be prepared for your purchase and make sure to leave it at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After researching it to death, I got an Advantage Hard Hat. I looked at the Solid Fold and others, but this one seemed to have the best combination of features (looks good on my Tundra, too...)

Great price and fast delivery from truckaddons.com

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After researching it to death, I got an Advantage Hard Hat. I looked at the Solid Fold and others, but this one seemed to have the best combination of features (looks good on my Tundra, too...)

Great price and fast delivery from truckaddons.com

I think I like this cover because it seems you won't get any water inside the bed of the cab unlike the BakFlip models. Question though... will this cover work with the alumium cargo divider and rail system, see below to get a better idea... Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I've got the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite on mine and also have the bedrail system and divider.

Fits under the cover just fine but the slide up / back is more limited in range without the cover on (mounts for the cover can also go into the OEM rail system, which I did)

Have had mine for about a year now with no water issues. Also like that you can lock it up - secure storage was a requirement of mine.

Don't have a lot of good pics with the cover on also showing the divider.

Here are a couple I took during the install that show the mounting points for the cover and the divider - you really only lose about a few inches of slide at the very front and back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I like this cover because it seems you won't get any water inside the bed of the cab unlike the BakFlip models. Question though... will this cover work with the alumium cargo divider and rail system, see below to get a better idea... Thanks in advance!!
The Hard Hat sits on top of the bed sides, and it looks like the knurled knob on the cargo divider is just below that, so it should be fine.

One more thing...Advantage says the Hard Hat is "water resistant", not waterproof. I haven't tried to seal it completely, and driving in a heavy rain it will let a tiny bit of water into the bed, but the bedliner has deep channels in the bottom to let any water drain out the back.

The thing I like is the look of a soft vinyl "one piece" folder or roll-up, with the function of a hard folder...no visible hinges or potential leaks at the hinges or through the hard panels.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are some great covers but I'm still torn on which on to get. I want one that looks good yet has function and untimately won't leak. I don't think I'll use the bed as much as some i.e constuction use, etc. I'll just use it from time to time for groceries, tailgating, things like that. Keep the opionions coming as Football season is right around the corner! haha Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ it does look good and it is at a desent price compared to other folding covers. Now when you say you get some water, where does it come in at? Sorry if I'm bumbarding you with questions but I like to get information on products from people who actually have it rather then reading from their site ya know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I thougth I would mention that the Advantage Hard Hat is a vinyl cover. So, it you need security, vinyl covers are not for you. The vinyl can easily be cut open. If you like the Hard Hat, take a look at the Extang Trifecta, it's worth a look.

The FoldACover G4 (and the Advance Cover) are great as far as function goes. The FoldACover is a real PITA to install, the Advance cover is basically the same cover (company owners are cousins) but much easier to install.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah good point 123Gone! I would like the security of a hard cover. I thought some of the above mentioned covers had the hard securities I would like. I've got to do a little more looking around to get that "right" cover! Thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, gents, but the Hard Hat is a hard folding cover with a vinyl overlay...so it functions like an Extang Solid Fold but looks like a Trifecta...best of both worlds, to quote Sammy Hagar (when he was with Van Halen ;-) Of course, any cover can be broken into with a crowbar or something, but the Hard Hat would be knife-proof where the Trifecta and other soft covers wouldn't.

YouTube - ‪Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau Cover Installation‬‎

As far as the water goes, I just get a little weeping at the front corners...the Hard Hat came with a roll of weather stripping to apply in the corners and make it pretty watertight if that's what you need.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Ah...hence the phrase "Hard Hat" :D

I sure would hope that someone wouldn't THINK it's just vinyl and try to cut into it. :mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well just to update, I pulled the trigger on a Tonneau cover. I went with the Advantage Hard Hat tonneau. It was what I was looking for. No problems to date with it minus a little crack due to shipping but I'm not stressing it. I also picked up a set of Rampage running boards. I got both of these items from Truckaddons.com. Good pricing for both and fast shipping as well. Here are some crappy cell picks...

I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions and input. Great forum indeed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad I could be of assistance...I think you'll dig it :tu:

·
Registered
10 Posts
How are the Advantage Hard Hats holding up? I think it's the tonneau for me, but it doesn't seem to be as popular as the Solid Fold...

Can you guys still recommend it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far so good here. At highway speed I can see the vinyl cover "billowing" in the breeze a little but that doesn't seemed to have loosed it up any. I really like the look and the fact that, being a hard cover underneath the vinyl, it offers some security with the tailgate locked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts