Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Just installed an access tonneau cover and I really like it. Dont have enough drive time yet to see if the gas mileage improved but it definately helped with crosswinds. It's been real windy here in NH the last few weeks and before I installed the cover I could really feel the wind gusts push my truck but now it's alot better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just installed an access tonneau cover and I really like it. Dont have enough drive time yet to see if the gas mileage improved but it definately helped with crosswinds. It's been real windy here in NH the last few weeks and before I installed the cover I could really feel the wind gusts push my truck but now it's alot better.
So glad you mentioned cross winds my ride has been moving quite a bit on the highway I'm in Mass near the N.H. border not far from Seabrook N.H. about 15 minutes and you are right it has been windy here and my 07 does not like cross winds either especially on I95 I was thinking a cover might help...I also have the rear sway bar on order..how much of an improvement 1-10 do you think the cover has made on cross winds?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have an access cover as well and so far I am seeing 1 - 2.5 MPG difference but keep in mind that my tonneau and dual exhaust went on roughly at the same time.

OVer the last couple of the days the wind around here has been ruthless...gusts up over 50 MPH! I have lost power here at the house 3 times so far.
The cover makes a difference as far as crosswinds...BUT the bigger you are, the more you are going to feel it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm looking at the access "literider" roll up cover does anyone know if the stack holes are still exposed with the cover closed with the literider on the 07s?..on the access web site it says on some models the holes are still exposed but they don't say on what models of trucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I installed a Access snap cover almost 3 weeks ago! The factory had to remake it 1/2" narrower and 1"longer and change the clamps, this took one weekend but the results are great. What a nice company to deal with:ts:

The owner Terry, told me I should upgrade to the Premier folding hard cover ASAP (as this is a temp cover till I can find a hard top like UnderCover or ArmorLid etc).

He said he has had it on his 'Harley Davidson F150' and it still looks like new. He said he uses the bed daily and in 30 seconds can have the whole cover off and in the back seat (if needed).

I never considered it before but after the warranty service I received from Access I 'm thinking he knows much more about covers than I do.

Also about millage, I'm getting 2 mpg better and less wind blowing resistance etc. Plus my stuff is dry and out of sight,not to mention how neat it looks, black cover on all black truck..sweet:sleep:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Tonneau covers have zero effect on gas mileage. They debunked that one on Mythbusters a few weeks ago. They also ran the tailgate up/tailgate down tests, too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I like myth busters a lot, but I like my Cover better:D
I have no answer for why it saves millage other than I experience less wind drag. And after all it's all about the experience, isn't it?

I stick by my post, and LOVE the performance of my cover..:D

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wrong, the net (instead of tailgate) did help. I don't believe they tested a Tonneau, I think it was a cannopy.

MythBusters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Episode 43
MythBusters (season 3) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Episode 64
MythBusters (season 4) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, if you read your own link you'll see what I'm referring to...in episode 43 they determined that you actually get better gas mileage with the tailgate up because of the vortex that's created, which causes an even better streamline than the down gate. Perhaps the net creates that same effect. The info in the link doesn't mention a Tonneau but I know they included it and other types of bed covers in their discussions on the show, if not in the actual tests.

Otherwise, believe what you want. I'm thinking about getting a Tonneau myself, and I don't care either way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tonneau covers have zero effect on gas mileage. They debunked that one on Mythbusters a few weeks ago. They also ran the tailgate up/tailgate down tests, too.
I've seen several references to a scientific study comparing a bunch of things and how they affect gas milage. Here's one (google search will find plenty of others): Ford F150 Tonneau Cover Saves MPG

According to the study, tonneau covers do noticably improve gas milage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the retrax and really like it, it keeps the bed secure and rolls up out of the way when needed. I was more expensive but worth it.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Zekeman:
It made a big difference, about 50%. I also commute rt95 everyday to Peabody MA.

I also heard that tailgate down doesn't help gas mileage but I'm pretty sure the tonneau cover will help a little.

I thought about the retrax but I didn't like the fact that it took up so much space in the bed when the cover was up. I would have to remove it to get my dirtbike in.

I will try to post some pics if the rain ever stops.

·
Registered
71 Posts
[FONT=&quot]Sorry that I started (or added to) a pissing contest on whether Tonneau covers really improve gas mileage.:confused: I was simply sharing my personal experience and thoughts.

Sorry also that maybe (as a trained engineer) I didn't get into the whole reduction of the 'coefficient of drag' on any vehicle will ultimately increase its mileage.

As I stated before, I too like Myth busters, however they are a couple of well intentioned stunt-men at best turned 'practical-engineers' who try to take a somewhat methodical and systematic approach to quantifying and ultimately qualifying whether legends, myths or local lore are within the realm of possibility.

There's an old saying among engineers that's "there's always more than one way to solve a problem" is well worth considering. Their solution may not be the one that really can prove or disprove the idea. For example the greater the ability to measure (quantify) differences almost always directly affects the ultimate outcome. In other words they may have been totally unable to determine any decrease in the 'coefficient of drag' because they weren't in a position to accurately measure drag's effects.
:eek:[/FONT]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2002 tundra was my wife's daily driver. With tonneau cover on she could go 2 weeks between gas tank fills ups. Without the tonneau cover on a week and a half. She would start biotching at me to put it back on. That's scientific enough for me! LOL:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did see the original airing and the 're-visited' episodes. I do believe they tried a bed cover (I cannot remember for the life of me what kind it was, but I believe it was the solid fiberglass one piece). The bed cover added some minimal help but they thought it offset other gains due to weight.

The above is from memory, don't kill me on the details.

The thing they did not check, or else did not say anything about was a very important factor- the wind. The vortex makes sense to me, but there was no determination as to what speeds that vortex exists. Side winds would also affect the vortex and the topper could help that.

I know this is not what the thread is about, I want a topper to protect items I carry from prying eyes and keep the honest, honest. It is just an interesting subject to me and someone may be able to debunk my thoughts above or even tell me why they may be right.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I did see the original airing and the 're-visited' episodes. I do believe they tried a bed cover (I cannot remember for the life of me what kind it was, but I believe it was the solid fiberglass one piece). The bed cover added some minimal help but they thought it offset other gains due to weight.
You know, I think that is how I remember it as well.
It was like a 300 pound fiberglass bed cap, not a full height canopy as I originally stated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts