Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I just came into possession (was a gift from the grandparents) of a 32 Ft TT and I'm a bit confused after searching and going over numbers for the past two days.

First off, I have an '08 4x4 Crewmax with the tow package. I"m pretty sure I'm within the limits of the truck, pushing it, but within the limits and just wanted to see what the experts thought.

Specs on the truck are - 5645 Curb, 7200 GVWR, 1555 Payload and towing cap of 10,100.

Trailer specs are -
Hitch - 1130
Total weight - 6700
GVWR - 9300
Axle - 3500 Lbs

Let me know what you think. BTW - The truck has a GVWR and the trailer has a GVWR, what's the relation between the two?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
GVWR...gross vehicle weight rating = the most the vehicle should weigh after being loaded. so that trailer has the potential to weigh 9300lbs if you load it to the roof. The only issue i see is the trailer being a front kitchen is causing the tongue weight to be a bit high and keep in mind that is weighed empty, go load it with everything momma wants to bring and it could touch 1500lbs. That 1500lbs is just about what your trucks cargo capacity most likely is. Also keep in mind those trailers weights are from the manufacturer and will vary pending on what is in the trailer after.

If you are set on towing this trailer you might want to do a few changes to your truck, ditch the car tires, add a good brake controller and some air bags. Also get your self a good weight distribution hitch.
It is not impossible to tow, i have a 32' 8240lb trailer with a 970lb tongue weight. These weights were taken after i scaled it, the manufacturer listed mine as 7600lbs dry with a 740lb tongue weight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ditch the P rated tires. It makes a HUGE difference. I second the airbags as well.

Here is what I pull:

TV:
-08 CrewMax TRD Tow package/10,400lbs max

TT:
09 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
9,300lbs loaded
850lb tongue weight

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Well I bought my truck and trailer without much planning, and ended up with something that exceeds my ratings even though the raw numbers seemed OK:
Truck Payload: 1,530
Trailer Pin wt.: 1,370
Truck Tow Cap: 10,300
Trailer Dry Wt. 8,300

Of course in the real world I'm way over, see my posting in 5th wheel actual weights.
But I don't think it's too much :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
tow it 500 miles, get some "E" tires ask yourself what toyota was thinking when they put junk tires on the truck

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Tundrabay - I've followed a ton of your posts...including the ones on Rv.net. Be sure to keep us posted on a regular basis on how your truck is holding up. My dad has the EXACT same 5th wheel as you, but he uses his 350 to tow it. So having pulled that 5th wheel and knowing the beast that it is, I'm really curious to see how well the Tundra holds up in the long run.

As for the tires, I was planning on buying some new tires come spring, installing airbags and a trailer brake.

Now I just need to run down to Kingman, AZ to pick the thing up. But I'm going to use my dad's F-350 until I get my truck ready.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
where you stow your gear and how much water you bring could counter the tongue weight. if you are not going to be towing it all the time, you should be fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts