Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, GW is lookin' good in that Dodge. Sweet.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I've always thought that Toyota should come out with an "American Tundra" commercial, highlighting that it's: Designed here; Built here; 80% + domestic parts content.... I think that would've sold a bunch more units since most 1/2-ton buyers want to "buy American"

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've always thought that Toyota should come out with an "American Tundra" commercial, highlighting that it's: Designed here; Built here; 80% + domestic parts content.... I think that would've sold a bunch more units since most 1/2-ton buyers want to "buy American"
alot of people are still ignorant about the big 3 being built somewhere else....its a hard stereotype to break.

·
Registered
41 Posts
True Jock but when your company is owned up to 35% by Fiat it's hard to take them seriously. They claim Dodge still owns 55-60% and the US/Canadian govt owns the rest. Still when we bailed out this company in the billions why did our govt forgive 1/2 of the loan? So at least a billion dollars of our tax payers money just disappeared. I can't support Dodge but I did in taxes.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I don't think Jock's saying he supports the big 3... I think he's saying (and I agree) that most of the public is naive and doesn't realize just how "American" the Tundra is. I remember when the new model Rams came out, they were only about 53% Domestic parts content. That's changed now, and it's closer to 80%-something... I think that now, all the 1/2 tons are all around 80%'ish

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea that video was pretty bad ass. The look on those red coats faces...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Very cool commercial.

With all due respect to Japan, a Japanese brand is a Japanese brand. It makes little difference where it's built, it's the "brand". If I buy a Tundra, I'm buying a Japanese brand, even if I worked on the assembly line building it. Ultimately, the big decisions for everything "Toyota" or "Honda" comes from Japan. I personally like Japanese products, but I don't try to claim they're "American", and it's frankly not fair to the Japanese workers that built and run the company. They are proud of their success, and consider it to be a Japanese hallmark.

Of the "Detroit 3", Dodge is the most "non-American" brand today, as they were bought by Daimler and then got sold to a private capital group.

·
Registered
315 Posts
True Jock but when your company is owned up to 35% by Fiat it's hard to take them seriously. They claim Dodge still owns 55-60% and the US/Canadian govt owns the rest. Still when we bailed out this company in the billions why did our govt forgive 1/2 of the loan? So at least a billion dollars of our tax payers money just disappeared. I can't support Dodge but I did in taxes.

People always talkin' poop about Fiats!!!!

LOL

~JH

·
Registered
656 Posts

People always talkin' poop about Fiats!!!!

LOL

~JH

I hope Fiat brings that model to production! :D

Either way it's kind of a funny commercial, but my 2011 mustang GT will be faster then the SRT-8 ;) (Should be here in a week!)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Very cool commercial.

With all due respect to Japan, a Japanese brand is a Japanese brand. It makes little difference where it's built, it's the "brand". If I buy a Tundra, I'm buying a Japanese brand, even if I worked on the assembly line building it. Ultimately, the big decisions for everything "Toyota" or "Honda" comes from Japan. I personally like Japanese products, but I don't try to claim they're "American", and it's frankly not fair to the Japanese workers that built and run the company. They are proud of their success, and consider it to be a Japanese hallmark.

Of the "Detroit 3", Dodge is the most "non-American" brand today, as they were bought by Daimler and then got sold to a private capital group.
Respectfully disagree...when they are employing Americans to actually MAKE the vehicles on American soil, it makes more than a "little difference". It may be a Japanese brand with decisions coming from abroad, but the fact is the company has American production. If the Japanese are proud of their success and consider it to be a hallmark, that's fine. But they need to realize that they've allowed roughly 75% of at least one of their vehicles to be manufactured in another country...ours. To say that the Tundra is strictly a Japanese truck, made in Japan...is simply not true. It now has an American component, whether we, or they...like it or not. My .02 cents and I liked the commercial.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
its a nice car,, all 3 are,, the new mustang, camaro, and challenger....

·
Registered
710 Posts
To say that the Tundra is strictly a Japanese truck, made in Japan...is simply not true.
I didn't imply that the Tundra is made in Japan, nor that most of it's content originates in Japan. I'm glad it's built in the US. The Toyota name is a Japanese brand, and probably will be for my lifetime. GM built the Pontiac G8 in Australia (nice car, especially w/ a 6.2), but it never was an "Australian car". My two Accords (not owned at once) were built in Ohio, but they're Japanese cars to me. Matter of opinion, I guess, as there aren't any hard rules about it. I'd have a hard time watching a Toyota in a Revolutionary War commercial though, as would most folks.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I was never suggesting putting a Toyota in the Revolutionary War commercial...

My point is just that from a marketing standpoint, Toyota would have done well to explain just how "American" the Tundra is. Some people (as you pointed out) will always consider a Toyota a Japanese vehicle.

However, if a Tundra commercial said something like this, with a gruff cowboy voice...:

"What makes a truck American? Is it where it's made? Is it the people that build it? Is it how many domestic parts go into it? The Toyota Tundra was designed in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It's built at a state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in San Antonio, Tx, by a large workforce of Americans, and the Tundra is made up of over 80% domestic parts. What sets this truck apart is Toyota's legendary reputation for quality :)heh:) "

I'm just saying that it might help with the stereotype of buying a foreign car if more people heard those things --- many people are easily swayed by advertising and I have a feeling their sales could've jumped by 25% had the used this approach.

:twocents:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I hear what your saying, Music. I'm also glad 75-80% of the Tundra is built in the US. I realize it's a Japanese comp. but I also think Popo has a good point. The fact remains that 75-80% of it IS built in the US and why not use it to their advantage from a possible marketing perspective. I understand the pride and customary aspects of corporate...but I think it would be a great idea to let people know about it being built in the US, and how they are creating jobs in America. I know when I saw that % built statistic, when I was buying my truck...I was impressed, glad to see it, and it made me feel that much more confident in my purchase. I agree about not having a Toyota in a Revo. War commercial. Then again, maybe it should have been a Fiat X19 up against the British if they really wanted to be accurate (not that it would have made much sense world cup-wise). I personally feel the British would have fared much better, if up against that pile of crap!

·
Registered
58 Posts
However, if a Tundra commercial said something like this, with a gruff cowboy voice...:

"What makes a truck American? Is it where it's made? Is it the people that build it? Is it how many domestic parts go into it? The Toyota Tundra was designed in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It's built at a state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in San Antonio, Tx, by a large workforce of Americans, and the Tundra is made up of over 80% domestic parts. What sets this truck apart is Toyota's legendary reputation for quality :)heh:) "
:twocents:[/QUOTE]

Are you just scary good on the stand?:argue:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well, I like the video. Very creative in my opinion. And yes, I do like old George driving it too!!!!!

Thanks for the post!! I'm sure it added some good ol'e fun rivalry across the pond!!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Great commercial, need to see more like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts