Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 tundra dc v-8 is approaching 6000 miles. I was looking at the royal purple website and they recommend following the manufacturers intrevals for changing your oil while the vehicle is still under warranty. I change every 3000 now(not even sure what the manual says). Should I wait until 36,000 to use royal Purple. I was hoping to change oil at 5000 mile intrevals if I switched. I think I would be wasting money if I change it every 3000 using royal purple.:ts:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd go ahead and put it in the next oil change. Then go every 5000 miles with it. :tu: 3000 miles is actually too soon for the most part if you do a good bit of highway driving. 3000 miles would be more of the severe change schedule.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put on roughly 20k miles a year. I use a synthetic blend and change oil every 5k miles and have not had any engine problems, usually keep my vehicles too around 80k miles or a little more. I've only used full synthetic in high performance motors.
You definately won't have an issue with changing every 5k.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You should be able to start now...but...

You may want to check with your local Toyota dealer to see if RP voids the warranty or not. If something happens to the engine, you can bet RP won't pay the tab, but your local Toyota dealer may realize you weren't using recommended Toyota (Mobile) oil. If your local Toyota dealer says go ahead, get it in writing. You can also email Toyota and see what they say. It's very odd RP says to wait until after the mfg. warranty is up. What if one bought the 7/100,000 warranty?

I've used Mobile 1 Synthetic in my F150 and changed oil every 10,000 miles. I put about 18,000 miles a year on my truck, and it's all city driving - stop light to light. I start the truck up probably 6+ times a day as well - very hard on an engine.

The truck has 140,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten. 5,000 IMHO is overkill for a full syn oil, especially if you don't drive like I do.

Using RP would seem like a waste of money, seeing how every oil change could run you $75 unless you do it yourself. I think you can buy a case on ebay for around $77 shipped, but our trucks could take 7+ quarts per change.

On tip - don't ever change oil types once you start. Stick with syn after the first change and don't go back to standard.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You may want to check with your local Toyota dealer to see if RP voids the warranty or not.
As long as the oil you put in meets current SAE specs, Toyota can't come back and say that the oil you put in caused this or that. Royal Purple meets current SAE specs so there's no problem there. Toyota can't deny something just because of the brand of oil you use.

On tip - don't ever change oil types once you start. Stick with syn after the first change and don't go back to standard.

That's false. It really doesn't matter. So long as the oil meets SAE specs, there is no problem with switching back and forth. The only thing you don't gain is the "protection" of leaving only synthetic in there. And as long as your seals are in good shape, which being this new they are unless they were damaged during installation, you won't have any problems with leaks as some claim if you switch back and forth.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
rsayloriii hit the head on the nail! :tu::tu::tu::tu:

You guys are very conservative. I put over 10K with my amsoil and their filter and it still comes out looking beautiful after every change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response. Royal Purple states to change the oil at the Toyota recommended intrevals while under warranty. That's where I think I would be wasting my money. Currently use havoline 5w30.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Thanks for the response. Royal Purple states to change the oil at the Toyota recommended intrevals while under warranty. That's where I think I would be wasting my money. Currently use havoline 5w30.
That's great advice, but at around $60 per oil change with a good filter, that's gonna get costly every 5K or so.

I go 10K (or a little more) using amsoil 5w-30 and their Ea057 filter (and EaO's are known to be one of the best filters available)

Besides, if some warranty issue were to arise, how can Toyota prove I changed the oil every 10K? I reset my maintenance light every 5K anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So you are paying $8 - $9 per per quart. You really think that RP has any quantative advantage over Mobil 1 at all? I doubt many trucks on this board are being used for duties that Mobil 1 isn't more than enough lubrication & protection for. Overkill in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
So you are paying $8 - $9 per per quart. You really think that RP has any quantative advantage over Mobil 1 at all? I doubt many trucks on this board are being used for duties that Mobil 1 isn't more than enough lubrication & protection for. Overkill in my opinion.
i guess i'm lucky because i get my ROYAL PURPLE for $6.00 a quart but i buy all my stuff from the same guy so he gives it to me at cost. which means i'm probably paying more on other things :eek: !

YES i believe ROYAL PURPLE is better! i used mobile 1 and yes it is good oil. i was using mobile 1 when i switched to ROYAL PURPLE and my engine ran smoother AND quieter esp. on cold starts with the ROYAL PURPLE! i also saw an OVERALL AVERAGE of 1-2 MPG increase on the highway! i couldn't believe it but the numbers don't lie! now the only results i saw at first was my engine was running smoother & quieter but on the 2nd oil change, i REALLY started seeing how good this stuff is! on HORSE POWER TV on SPIKE TV they did a comparison and they PROVED they got an HP INCREASE and a TQ INCREASE! that is why, if you watch, they only use ROYAL PURPLE in their show. i think the HP & TQ increases really only show up on high performance engines BUT i didn't switch for that. i switched for less engine wear. i'm looking at getting 500,000 on my tundra. it's a personal goal. there's also a thread on here called, "ROYAL PURPLE IS THE BEST". there's alot of info there on this stuff.

I WON'T USE ANYTHING BUT ROYAL PURPLE & AMSOIL FILTERS FROM NOW ON!!!!

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
I don't know where you get them prices even my dealer only charges me $6 a quart,so 8-9 is crazy ripoffs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
on HORSE POWER TV on SPIKE TV they did a comparison and they PROVED they got an HP INCREASE and a TQ INCREASE! that is why, if you watch, they only use ROYAL PURPLE in their show. i think the HP & TQ increases really only show up on high performance engines BUT i didn't switch for that. i switched for less engine wear. i'm looking at getting 500,000 on my tundra. it's a personal goal. there's also a thread on here called, "ROYAL PURPLE IS THE BEST". there's alot of info there on this stuff.

I WON'T USE ANYTHING BUT ROYAL PURPLE & AMSOIL FILTERS FROM NOW ON!!!!
As a guy who runs a dyno for a living, I would say if the HP increase showed up on a High performance engine it would also show on a production engine.
it may be that the increase would be easier to find/see on the dyno when the power is 600 hp or so.
The oil industry has realized that they have a customer that bases his purchase on emotion.
I was reminded of this fact today when I purchased oil at Pep Boys, the various descriptions found on the containers start to read like a macho SNL scit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As a guy who runs a dyno for a living, I would say if the HP increase showed up on a High performance engine it would also show on a production engine.
it may be that the increase would be easier to find/see on the dyno when the power is 600 hp or so.
The oil industry has realized that they have a customer that bases his purchase on emotion.
I was reminded of this fact today when I purchased oil at Pep Boys, the various descriptions found on the containers start to read like a macho SNL scit.
I agree!!!! Mobile 1 works just fine for me. I have been running mobile1 in my '99 sonoma for about 170k miles....truck now has 207k miles on it and runs great. I don't know anything about RP, but I do know that mobile1 is working fine for me.l

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
all i can tell you to check out the clips. as a guy that runs a dyno you should know that the dyno doesn't lie. now i didn't see an HP or TQ increase in my tundra. of course i didn't dyno it or anything BUT i did FEEL my engine running smoother and i HEARD my engine running quieter. ESP on cold start ups! i DID NOT FEEL THIS OR HEAR THIS with the mobile 1.
sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts