Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Happy to be part of this forum. I just bought my buddies 2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5. He is the original owner. It has 170,000 miles on it. He has kept up with everything except a transmission service. He was advised when buying it that it is sealed so he never worried about it. Since the truck has 170,000 miles on it, is it worth taking the risk to flush it? Or should I just drain and fill? Not sure what to do. Or maybe leave it alone? I have no shifting issues at all. He did tow a camper every now and then. Also jet skis.

thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flushed mine with no issues. The reason I did flush was it would not shift out of 2nd. The trans mechanic told me these Tundras are sealed and have an internal filter that can get clogged and cause it not to shift. I flushed it at 140K miles. It currently has 240K miles and runs great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flushed mine with no issues. The reason I did flush was it would not shift out of 2nd. The trans mechanic told me these Tundras are sealed and have an internal filter that can get clogged and cause it not to shift. I flushed it at 140K miles. It currently has 240K miles and runs great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for your experience!

·
Registered
104 Posts
If never serviced/owned since new, a cold drain & fill, 2 cycles, with running it thru all the gears up and DDT own thru low2, then before too hot let sit an hour while your next jugs bask in the sun(or a bucket of warm water) will give you a great gauge of the WS condition.
Then after the next time, 10-15K, you may wish to do one more D&R d cycle and then change screen filter. Another 10-15K and do one more D&R cycle.
By then you will have run ~ 19 qts thru and have pretty much refreshed the system.
COLLECT EVERY DROP YOU DRAIN, MEASURE EXACTLY FOR REFILL, KEEP IT CLEAN!
Be careful on who you let do a full flush if you go that way.
Cheers and enjoy that 2006! I love the Hell out of mine & know you will too. 😎
20200614_163925.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If never serviced/owned since new, a cold drain & fill, 2 cycles, with running it thru all the gears up and DDT own thru low2, then before too hot let sit an hour while your next jugs bask in the sun(or a bucket of warm water) will give you a great gauge of the WS condition.
Then after the next time, 10-15K, you may wish to do one more D&R d cycle and then change screen filter. Another 10-15K and do one more D&R cycle.
By then you will have run ~ 19 qts thru and have pretty much refreshed the system.
COLLECT EVERY DROP YOU DRAIN, MEASURE EXACTLY FOR REFILL, KEEP IT CLEAN!
Be careful on who you let do a full flush if you go that way.
Cheers and enjoy that 2006! I love the Hell out of mine & know you will too. 😎 View attachment 152675 View attachment 152678 View attachment 152677
Thanks for the tutorial! I ended up just doing one drain and fill for now. So funny thing. You ever heard of the infamous clunk when coming to a complete stop? The a clunk when letting off the brake? It went away after doing the drain and fill. I believe I was a quart low of tranny fluid. I got 4 quarts out but the tranny took 5 quarts. I checked the fluid at 120 degrees.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes. I have the clunk parking on any incline/ decline. Greased all including slipjoint & zirc fittings and the splines while had drive shaft out for Center Bearing replace. Pumped out some old nasty Original stuff, as was first time waking up to how much needs maintenance!! Otherwise spiders and u joints all held up great so far.
The clunk is just barely returning after over a year. There are lots of articles covering whys.
Glad yours went away, and you up to level! Going to do the hot check next time D/R perhaps also.
Def after pulling pan and new screen filter!
Can't give enuf Love to Our Rides for certain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts