Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 access cab with a tonneau. I currently have my jumper cables and a few tools under the rear seat, my cleaning supplies in a plastic milk crate in the back, and a small toolbox with handtools, also in the back. I was wondering, what toolboxes have you found that fit below the bed rails (15-16 inches high I believe)? I'd like to consolidate my stuff, but looking through lowes today, I didn't see much. I'm basically looking for something plastic (or metal) that can be easily removed. It doesn't have to be huge, just a decent size.

Thanks in advance

p.s.- if I missed any threads in the search, I'm sure you'll be more than happy to let me know :D

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but, all my stuff is in a toolbox. Back seat has subs (Qlogic) and farad cap (drivers side), so, this works for me under my ARE.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I have a 2000 access cab with a tonneau. I currently have my jumper cables and a few tools under the rear seat, my cleaning supplies in a plastic milk crate in the back, and a small toolbox with handtools, also in the back. I was wondering, what toolboxes have you found that fit below the bed rails (15-16 inches high I believe)? I'd like to consolidate my stuff, but looking through lowes today, I didn't see much. I'm basically looking for something plastic (or metal) that can be easily removed. It doesn't have to be huge, just a decent size.

Thanks in advance

p.s.- if I missed any threads in the search, I'm sure you'll be more than happy to let me know :D

here's a good one for you... google "undercover swing case" and you will find an out of the box alternative. i can't remember who makes it, but there is a company out there who makes a step rail for double cabs that has a built in storage area. it might be undercover also???

·
Registered
31 Posts
here's a good one for you... google "undercover swing case" and you will find an out of the box alternative. i can't remember who makes it, but there is a company out there who makes a step rail for double cabs that has a built in storage area. it might be undercover also???
that is awesome, but they only seem to make them for 2nd gen Tundras and Tacos.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'd love to have an undercover swing case. Right now I keep some stuff in a 24 gal Rubbermaid Action Packer. It seems pretty durable,holds quite a bit of stuff, is easily removed and is fairly cheap. I picked it up a wally world for around $30. I use a ratchet strap around the front to hold it in place. I've also got some milk crates that fit under my tonneau canister. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091427

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
that is awesome, but they only seem to make them for 2nd gen Tundras and Tacos.

you are correct! sort of... i spoke with a designer over at undercover. this designer has a gen 1 tundra and he installed a couple of the gen 2 tundra swing outs on his gen 1. he told me that the brackets don't match up "exactly" like they do on the gen 2, but that they will fit and will mount solidly. they mount with screws into the side of your bed. he designed them so go figure? i plan on replicating what he did for my gen 1.

you might give them a call your self to satisfy any insecurities around the matter. that's why i called them because i also noticed that they did not advertise a model for our gen 1"s. i felt like they were telling me the truth. good luck!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'd love to have an undercover swing case. Right now I keep some stuff in a 24 gal Rubbermaid Action Packer. It seems pretty durable,holds quite a bit of stuff, is easily removed and is fairly cheap. I picked it up a wally world for around $30. I use a ratchet strap around the front to hold it in place. I've also got some milk crates that fit under my tonneau canister. ActionPacker® Cargo Box / Bin | Rubbermaid
Been using the rubbermaids for years, got of the big ones in the garage holding all the extra cables and computer stuff and keep a medium size one in the truck holding spare tools, jumper cables, etc. There nice cause light and easy to clean and cheap. I dont have the fancy action packer like you got just the cheap standard blue ones. I do wish i got one for the truck that has a better locking lid on it.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That is EXACTLY the sort of thing I am looking for. Do you know of any stores that would carry something like that? Maybe tractor supply... time to get searching!
TCS or Northern Tool may have them. It's amazing how much stuff will fit in it and it's weather tight for times when you don't feel like rolling the cover over it.

·
Soooper Geeenius
554 Posts
you are correct! sort of... i spoke with a designer over at undercover. this designer has a gen 1 tundra and he installed a couple of the gen 2 tundra swing outs on his gen 1. he told me that the brackets don't match up "exactly" like they do on the gen 2, but that they will fit and will mount solidly. they mount with screws into the side of your bed. he designed them so go figure? i plan on replicating what he did for my gen 1.

you might give them a call your self to satisfy any insecurities around the matter. that's why i called them because i also noticed that they did not advertise a model for our gen 1"s. i felt like they were telling me the truth. good luck!
I ordered the undercover swingout toolbox for my '04 access cab and you're correct: the mounting bracket doesn't fit perfectly, but it still could be mounted solidly with a couple spacers. However, the box is just too tall for our 15-1/2" tall beds. Unless it's mounted over an inch away from the bedrail, the folding lid hits the bedrail. I sent it back and had to foot the bill for shipping because they warned me before I ordered it.

I'm still trying to find an "over the wheel well" toolbox for my truck. Can't use a box anywhere else in the bed because I haul dirtbikes all the time.

I'll let you know if I find any.

Ryan

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got mine screwed into the bed liner to keep it from sliding around. It sits a few inches higher than the walls of the bed. I think I paid $99 for it at Tractor Supply (obviously).

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
I should really start taking some pics of my truck...I've got a Rawson (its old but still in great shape, called RKI these days) 2 door toolbox bolted to the floor in my bed, its actually shorter than the rails, but its even sitting on 2x4's to keep it from hitting the wheel wells. Pics will come soon.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went cheap and got a $20 plastic box from Tractor Supply. Cut a piece of 2x4 to fit in the slots in the bed liner, then bungeed the box to the 2-by to keep it from sliding around.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just ordered the Undercover toolbox yesterday, everyone has them for $195 shipped, I will let you know when I get it and install it.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Please report back on how this install went for you. I'm interested in this case too. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts