Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a few tools: wrenches, sockets, etc, and a torque wrench so I can do some add-ons to my 07 taco. When it came to shopping my first instinct was to go to Sears and buy Craftsman. You can't beat a lifetime warrantee/guarantee, right? Well, the cost has put me off. They do have occasional sales on mechanic's tool sets. But when I compare the prices of these sets with what I can buy at Target and similar stores, it just makes me wonder what to do...

:confused:

I don't plan to open an auto shop, just turn the occasional nut and bolt. Seems like I should be able to buy one of the less expensive sets and it will be fine.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
You get what you paid for:)

I personally have all Craftsman tools. I used to have the cheap walmart made. They all started to rust, and some broke.

With Craftsman, you can still break some of them, but they are build pretty tough, and you got the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You get what you paid for:)

I personally have all Craftsman tools. I used to have the cheap walmart made. They all started to rust, and some broke.

With Craftsman, you can still break some of them, but they are build pretty tough, and you got the lifetime warranty.
i agree...u get what u pay for, and if ya break them, the craftsmans pay for themselves basically, with the lifetime warranty! ive also got a few snap on tools, and some macs, but if youre just doin things on your truck here and there, go with the craftsmans!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Craftsman wrenches and socket sets are OK, and maybe their screwdrivers, but I'd never buy their other stuff. I had a set of Craftsman locking pliers that were horrible. The jaws were poorly welded and misaligned and it was impossible to unlock them without busting a knuckle. Sears replaced them with more of the same. The entire set ended up in the trash and I bought genuine Vice-grips which are much better. I usually go for the good stuff like Snap-on and Mac and in tool stores buy SK Professional, Channel-Lock, Klein and similar name brands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone is interested, I sent a PM to the thread starter already, but I have a brand new (never even opened) Crafstmen socket set.

I bought it and then decided to get a bigger set but I cant find the recipet and I dont want store credit. Its the 137 peice craftsmen socket set. Its on sale this weekend for $100 at Sears, but I will ship mine to you for $95.

Craftsman 35137 137 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Easy-To-Read Sockets at Sears.com

·
Registered
447 Posts
Craftsman wrenches and socket sets are OK, and maybe their screwdrivers, but I'd never buy their other stuff. I had a set of Craftsman locking pliers that were horrible. The jaws were poorly welded and misaligned and it was impossible to unlock them without busting a knuckle. Sears replaced them with more of the same. The entire set ended up in the trash and I bought genuine Vice-grips which are much better. I usually go for the good stuff like Snap-on and Mac and in tool stores buy SK Professional, Channel-Lock, Klein and similar name brands.

snap on and mac are awesome, but hes just talking about doing stuff to his truck every once in a while, and cost concerns him, so craftsman will be fine for him! im dont really see him needing some of those craftsman locking pliers( i also agree that that set is junk) to "turn the occasional bolt". my .02!

·
Registered
108 Posts
snap on and mac are awesome, but hes just talking about doing stuff to his truck every once in a while, and cost concerns him, so craftsman will be fine for him! im dont really see him needing some of those craftsman locking pliers( i also agree that that set is junk) to "turn the occasional bolt". my .02!
OK, I can see that. Since that's the case the OP would be well advised to choose six point sockets. They would be less apt to rounding off heads than the 12-pointers, especially with lesser quality tools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I worked at Sears as a commission salesperson in the Hardware/Tool Department and your best bet will be to look at the clearance and return area of the Tool Department. Ask a salesperson for the location. You can find tool sets that have been returned, etc. The prices are reduced substantially. The salespeople have a lot of discretion, so ask them for 10% off, many will take care of you. Thats my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I too worked as a tools salesperson but, it was during a time we did not work on commission. I would suggest joining the Craftsman club. The craftsman club allows members to get an additional 10% off on top of a sale during their club week. They have a club week every month.

On another point that was mentioned, getting 6 point sockets will save rounding off those nuts and bolts. Screwdrivers aren't that great but, at least they have a lifetime warranty. Return and replace.

Plus, Craftsman is widely available. Especially, now they have merged with K-Mart and OSH has been selling their products for a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
check out the companion series from craftsman. they are almost the same quality as the craftsman, no lifetime warranty, and about half the price or better. I have craftsman for my shop and i keep some companion sets in all my vehicles. very pleased.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like other have stated it depends on what you plan on doing, if you're like me you often times find yourself in the garage at night getting yourself into trouble or flat out getting stuck, in those situation you're gonna want the good stuff like mac snap on even craftsman (although a warranty stating they will replace anything that breaks is worthless in the middle of the night when your sole source of transportation is half apart;) ). Harbor freight is always cheap and there tools are disposable:devil:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Real men buy nothing but Snap-on.:tu:

Some of us real men cannot afford Snap-on. I honestly tried but cannot simply afford all that I need in Snap-on. I went with a really large set of Craftsman and anytime I have a problem with them they are always easily replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Some of us real men cannot afford Snap-on. I honestly tried but cannot simply afford all that I need in Snap-on. I went with a really large set of Craftsman and anytime I have a problem with them they are always easily replaced.
Agreed! :tu: I've had a couple of Snap-on tools that needed to be replaced. Unlike Sears, they're mobile and I ended searching for them. IMO - MAC Tools, Snap-On are geared more towards businesses(specialty shops, auto repair, etc). I would be buying their products if I worked for a dealer. I could write-off the expense of buying the tools.

Craftsman, Husky, Gearwrench, etc are geared towards Consumers were the write-off luxury isn't there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Agreed! :tu: I've had a couple of Snap-on tools that needed to be replaced. Unlike Sears, they're mobile and I ended searching for them. IMO - MAC Tools, Snap-On are geared more towards businesses(specialty shops, auto repair, etc). I would be buying their products if I worked for a dealer. I could write-off the expense of buying the tools.

Craftsman, Husky, Gearwrench, etc are geared towards Consumers were the write-off luxury isn't there.

agreed +2:tu::tu:

·
Registered
56 Posts
agreed +2:tu::tu:
I hope no one in the thread thought I was flamming Snap-on cause I aint its just I honestly cant see paying that much for tools as a normal joe who just uses em every now and again. I cannot though say enough about the service I have had with craftsman.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Snap-on is like buying a Mustang with a 4 banger in it, all name. Ok, maybe not that extreme but pretty close.

If you treat your tools like crap, thats what they'll be. I've used snap-on, Craftsman and a few others including top brand and el-cheapos. We had a fair share of snap-ons crapping out so I wouldnt say they are the best, they are good but I wouldnt say they are any better than Craftsman. For my own use, I prefer Craftsman, better prices and if used properly (like using a 12mm 6pnt socket on a 12mm bolt) they should last longer than whatever you are working on.

Id start building a set a little at a time, only buy what you need, such as not buying a full set of standard wrenches except if you own a "American" made car. One of those starter mechanic sets is a good start. Buy the good screwdriver sets, the ones with the fat handle so you can get some good torque and pressure on the screws, and using the right tip is important not to round out the screws. Same goes with allen wrenches. The Craftsman ratchet combo wrenches are pretty handy to have, although they may be a little too big for tight spaces.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I hope no one in the thread thought I was flamming Snap-on cause I aint its just I honestly cant see paying that much for tools as a normal joe who just uses em every now and again. I cannot though say enough about the service I have had with craftsman.

maybe i read it the wrong way, snap on to me is awesome stuff IF u can afford it, otherwise i buy craftsman(most of their stuff) because of their warranty,and they are everywhere. and i dont have to chase down a mac or snap on truck. i do own a couple of 1/2 drive impact guns from mac tools, and i like them just fine(more so better than craftsman) but im good to go with all the other craftsman tools i have(sockets, wrenches, etc..);)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts