Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my truck in for BJ TSB and looked as if they did not take off my tires cause i keep them shinny with A/A and tires looked untouched? Looked under truck and saw new BJ's on both sides and said well i guess they were just careful to not make a mess. Yes i am picky when it comes to maintenance but 32 years turning wrenches has caused this and i decided to check Alloy rims to se if they overtorqued wheels and both front wheels did not move a bit with 150 Ft Lbs of torque applied to them?? Me doing my 5K wheel rotations i use a new sears torque wrench never DROPPED!! and i torque them to 83 Ft Lbs per manual. This rotation just happened about 200 miles back also!! As i said i have the 17" Alloy upgrade rims and i was just using the same torque spec 83 Ft Lbs and when i found that they were torqued OFF the scale of my 150 Ft Lb torque wrench i now know why front brakes do not last very long on Toyotas!! Anyone knkow if i should be using a higher torque setting for OEM Alloy rims or should it still be 83 Ft Lbs. I know the newer 07 's have changed their settings but my manual says 83 Ft Lbs. I did not talk to dealer cause they have no time to baby sit Tech's and seems a air gun at highest air/gun setting was used to crank then babys down to German Torque settings? do they have air guns that will torque past 150 Ft Lbs these days? I was taught to allways use air gun for removal but never when a torque value was involved during installation!! USAF brain wash!!hehe!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
they have impacts that will surpass 150 ft lbs. most likely the tech did not use a torque bar on his impact so he will not surpass 80 ft lbs. they have different kinds of torque values, from 45 ft lbs to 180 ft lbs. being at a dealer, you would think that they should use the right equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm interested in finding out how over torqued lugs causes brakes to wear faster? The rotor can only go so far on the hub and the wheel attached to the hub doesnt mean the rotor and caliper make more contact.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I don't know this first hand, but some posters have said that incorrectly torqued lug nuts can cause rotor warpage that can cause premature brake failure.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tech Tip: Use Proper Torque When Installing Wheel Fasteners This article and numerous others are informative and anything with double torque runs the wrisk of 1. cracking wheel at lug nut!! over a 400.00 mistake on OEM Alloys!!2. this article address a group of problems and their is no myths to a simple stupid mistake or lack of training!! Wheel Tech - Wheel Lug Torquing this is another nice article that if you read and head might surprise those who have questions!! The last article simply states over torque will strip lug or hub, break stud or bolt, and cause the wheel brake rotor and or drum to distort, does not sound like what i want! here is another article that goes way indepth and i think i will read it a couple more times StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Overtorqued lugs can cause the lugs to snap on the studs. You have to replace the studs, & you need an air chisel to push out the old ones. I had it happen on a GM to me years ago. (go figure) The wheel would get scratched probably, but it wouldn't need to be replaced.

I wouldn't worry about it damaging your hub/rotors.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They all broke free when i retorqued to proper torque but feel their is a huge chance they have distorted the rotors allready?? Guess if i start having issues like the early 2000 Tundras i will know what caused the problem!! Tech error!! What i am worried about is i am due on my 93 Toy PU 4x4 a group of routine maintenance and i just wish i could still do that type maintenance still but disability will not let me do it anymore!! i will have a long talk to Service Writer about this torque issue casue i will be doing Timing Belt, water pump, power sterring pump and all the seals & idlers, tensioners and i can only imagine what they will overtorque during this!! This is not a new issue with me i have had problems at every place that has worked on any of my auots and it is sad that you do not get what ya pay for "AN HONEST CORRECT JOB" !! because you know you are paying for one.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
just my opinion, but it seems to me the dealership owes you 24 new lug bolts and nuts.

there is no excuse for some idiot a$$hole wrench monkey using an improperly set up air wrench to over torque your lug nuts.

this is common knowledge and clearly is speced by toyota.

if you had broken down by the side of the road and couldn't get the nuts off to change a tire or if some of the bolts had sheared while you were towing, they would end up owing you a LOT more. possibly your family, too.

do your self and other toyota owners in your community a favor and call them on this....

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the disability thing. It's hard to trust anyone these days. Have a good long talk (in person) with the service manager and hopefully things go smooth.

From what I recall from my friend telling me about his service dept for Toyota, the mechanics are no longer hand picked for most jobs. They are provided randomly by the computer. Mostly from newbie mechanics complaining they got the crappy jobs all the time. But that's how it goes.

Maybe they'll make an exception for you, or that dealer operates differently. Good luck :tu:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called Service Writer and told him to not get the Tech in hot water but to inform him where his mistake was and to correct it and he said not a problem and i also told him to make entry in computer that wheels had been overtorqued at BJ repalcement and he said no problem and that he would make the anotation in the computer in case i had brake issues later!! Should have went to Service Manager but i have had issues with him and his knowledge of lubricating Toyota Trucks and it was not a very productive conversation, he was clueless to what spec lube i needed and transfered me to the Tech that did the lube and i asked him did they use Lithium and Moly lithium to lube running gear and he hung up on me?? So i just do myown lube which i can manage and use Moly since i called Toyota and they approved it! 8 fittings and your finished!!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
not to beg the issue, but if it were me and knowing my local toyota service department, i would request a copy of the "note" they put in the computer.

amazing how these things get "forgotten" or "lost" in the computer when you need them.

i keep a paper file in my office of all work done on all our cars. that way i'm not depending on someone else for information that can only hurt them if they produce it.

sad commentary on the state of society.....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am feeling ya!! I am going in for maintenance on another Toy next week and i will ask for a copy for my records! Good call since Toyota does not use a 3rd party arbitrator anymore. seems they are the 3rd party! what year did that change anyone!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts