Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a stupid question, but i honestly am not sure of the answer. what exactly is the purpose of torquing lug nuts? and why is our lug nut torque for our tacomas supposed to be 85 ft/lbs? i untightened my lugnuts one at a time today,then retorqued them @ 85,which didnt feel tight enough to me??!! i can tell you this....the dealership had them WAY overtorqued frtom when i got a tire balance and rotation the other week!! so what gives?? thanks!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
here is a stupid question, but i honestly am not sure of the answer. what exactly is the purpose of torquing lug nuts? and why is our lug nut torque for our tacomas supposed to be 85 ft/lbs? i untightened my lugnuts one at a time today,then retorqued them @ 85,which didnt feel tight enough to me??!! i can tell you this....the dealership had them WAY overtorqued frtom when i got a tire balance and rotation the other week!! so what gives?? thanks!
The purpose of torquing any bolt or nut is to prevent damage to the threads and possibly breaking a stud or whatever, and in the case of aluminum wheels, the wheels themselves. Overtorquing them has no advantage what so ever, but has plenty of disadvantages. Undertorquing them is just as bad as you dont want wheels and other parts flying apart because a nut or bolt came loose, possibly falling out completely. Thus the reason why a lot of aircraft components, and some race cars, use safety wire to keep parts on, not because they dont torque them properly, but because things can work themselves loose. You dont want to help it any in becoming loose, or breaking.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How much does a basic torque wrench cost?

·
Registered
263 Posts
no prob man. that would be a craftsman torque wrench, but you can probably get one from northern tool or napa or some place like that for a bit cheaper. the good thing is,with craftsman,if you break it,you can take it back for an exchange!
Thanks again! I've owned quite a few vehicles, but just recently got into performing my own maintenance. So far, I'm really enjoying it! It really makes me feel like I'm taking "ownership."

·
Registered
151 Posts
no prob man. that would be a craftsman torque wrench, but you can probably get one from northern tool or napa or some place like that for a bit cheaper. the good thing is,with craftsman,if you break it,you can take it back for an exchange!
Not there Microtork Torque Wrench , broke the lock on mine, only covered under a 90 day. cheap plastic.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Another reason to torque your lug nuts (in a 'star' pattern) is to help prevent brake rotors warping...

I have been using my cheapo 1/2" torque wrench from HF for several years with no problems. Dunno if it's deadly accurate, but it's fine for torquing lug nuts. I keep it clean in its plastic case, and always release the adjustment when not in use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a torque wrench at Wal-Mart for something like just under $30. It was in the automotive dept next to the tires and jacks. I checked it against my friends Snap-On, and the torque was set exactly the same. I only use it to torque my lug nuts, so it's not like it's going to be abused or anything.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Personally, the clickers are the only way to go.

BTW, be sure to return the torque setting to the lowest setting before you store it. If you dont, the constant pressure on the internals will end up throwing the accuracy off. And if possible, have it calibrated every few years. Some wrenches dont have the ability to be adjusted, you get what you pay for. With a good one, it'll last you a life time if treated properly. Dont bang it around, use it as a ratchet, etc.

Snap-on makes some nice ones, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i drove to work this morning, after torquing my lugnuts last night, and to be honest with ya, it actually made a difference in the way the truck rode, as far as im concerned!! cool!

snakeii.....i agree with ya that the clickers are the best way to go, those cheap ones with the needles dont work very well, IMO! I got a clicker style half inch wrench from napa, dont remember what it cost, but it seems to work prettyn well! so, where would one need to get a torque wrench recalibrated @??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check your book for the correct torque. I would think that the mechanics at your Toyota dealer would know what the torque is for your vehicle but nothing from them would surprise me.:eek: The proper torque for my 16" stock rims on my 01 Tacoma , 4x4 extended cab is #90. Mike

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
! so said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most torque wrenches have an address to mail them to in the paperwork/instruction booklet. Most tool warehouses can give you a list. Most of the time they have to be shipped.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The mechanics at the dealership don't use a torque wrench... they just drive them on with an impact gun. Time is money....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Please, you're joking around right??
Using a torque wrench for lug nuts :clown:

I can see were you'd get that idea though. After watching the pros at a few races (NASCAR, Formula1, ect...), that's what all the crews do during pit stops. & then, they install & twist some wire retainers on them lug nuts just to be sure those wheels don't fall off - because that happens a lot.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
LRH said it right.

Theres some services out on the web you can find. I personally havent had to outsource calibration, yet, because my wrenches are fairly new, and before them I've either used some wrenches I had access to in the Air Force or someone elses. They were all scheduled at different frequencies depending on their use and sensitivity to change. Heres one site:

TEAM TORQUE INC. - Torque Wrench and Torque Tool Repair and Calibration

Or, you can always try calibrating it yourself.

How to calibrate a torque wrench in your own shop.

Calibrating A Torque Wrench – How-To - Stock Car Racing Magazine

Torquing the lug nuts also ensures the wheel is properly seated against the hub. If you have unequal amount of torque on one side of the wheel it can actually cause additional camber. This was dramatically felt in my old MR2, which are 4 bolt hubcentric.

The owners manual states the torque needed. I would NOT refer to any techs at the dealership, as they may give you the specs to another vehicle, steel wheels or whatever.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have unequal amount of torque on one side of the wheel it can actually cause additional camber. This was dramatically felt in my old MR2, which are 4 bolt hubcentric.
What???

Your technical credentials please. Please state your credentials (or where you obtained this information)
It is one of the most ridiculous statements (mechanically speaking) that I've heard yet...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
What???

Your technical credentials please. Please state your credentials (or where you obtained this information)
It is one of the most ridiculous statements (mechanically speaking) that I've heard yet...
Well, how else would the uneven torque cause changes in the handling? Its known to warp rotors, so what else is it doing, Mr. ASE Master Technician who sounds like he thinks he knows it all? I guess you dont tighten the lugs up in a pattern as well...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts