Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oddly enough, I've gotten worse MPG (by between 1- 1 1/2) and no noticeable top end power gain with the K&N. Thinking about tossing it and putting the stocker back in, felt like it ran better with the stock filter. Wierd or what?:confused:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My Borla exhaust came with it, Ive been debating throwing it out, It never gets dirty, and its a pain to clean off and oil, I clean it just to re-oil it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Curious, how did you determine that? Seat of your pants? Dyno? The difference (if any) would be so small, wonder how it would be possible to determine.:confused:

Got rid of mine...lost bottom end torque with it.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Curious, how did you determine that? Seat of your pants? Dyno? The difference (if any) would be so small, wonder how it would be possible to determine.:confused:
That's a good question, my buddy's been bugging me to a K&N in, he has one in his Civic and says it fantastic. I told him about the findings of people on this site, he doesn't believe it can cause a reduction in power or mileage, he wants to see proof on a dyno.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I tossed the K&N cold air a while back and then replaced the K&N drop-in with an OEM paper. No dyno, but I can definitely "feel" the increase in initial acceleration. I wish I had the money back for headers instead!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I get around 13 MPG in the city and that's not because of my intake/exhaust setup. It's because quite often I have a lead foot due to the noticable gains! Lets get real, we make mods to intake, exhaust, etc. for performance, not gas mileage. I mean, it's no fun to drive it easy when you know what it can do.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I installed a drop in K&N last summer. Ran with it for maybe 1000 miles.
MPG decreased 1 to 1 1/2 mpg.
The minimal performance gain wasn't worth the extra gas and increased engine wear.
I put the stock filter back in and still haven't seen the mpg go back up.
I still haven't decided if the mpg decrease is related due to the fact that I haven't seen mpg come back yet.
Any opinions?

I've change oil
cleaned throttle body
cleaned mas
changed plugs
tire pressure 34-35 psi

I wonder if it could be the winter gasoline blend?

·
Registered
267 Posts
After I saw the data on how bad the K&N traps dirt, I ditched it right away and went back to the stock paper filter. The power you gain (if any) isnt worth the damage, over time, a bad filtering filter will do to your engine. Plus, I did feel a little more low end when I put the stock filter back in.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I installed a drop in K&N last summer. Ran with it for maybe 1000 miles.
MPG decreased 1 to 1 1/2 mpg.
The minimal performance gain wasn't worth the extra gas and increased engine wear.
I put the stock filter back in and still haven't seen the mpg go back up.
I still haven't decided if the mpg decrease is related due to the fact that I haven't seen mpg come back yet.
Any opinions?

I've change oil
cleaned throttle body
cleaned mas
changed plugs
tire pressure 34-35 psi

I wonder if it could be the winter gasoline blend?
Try resetting your computer by disconnecting the negative side of the battery and leave it disconnected for 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put a K&N in my old Dakota, wouldn't waist my money on one ever again. No difference in any factor, performance, mileage, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been running a drop in K&N filter for about 7,000 miles. I get 15 mpg in the city and 17 on the highway (usually driving between 70 and 80mph on the highway). These numbers are consistant with real world numbers for the stock filter. I think the dealer sticker claimed 16 and 19mpg.

I recently came back from Paso Robles to San Diego hauling about 1500lbs. The truck averaged 16mpg and I was traveling at 80mph most of the way. I honestly cannot complain about the fuel economy with running a K&N.

The only dissadvantage to the K&N that I have experianced is having to clean it and waiting for it to dry before re-oiling it. Be sure that you do not over oil it. Lightly spray the front of the filter and install it. Once you start the motor, the engine intake velocity will pull the oil into the rest of the filter with out pulling it through the filter and contaminating the MAS.

Performance, I have noticed a stronger midrange accelleration over the stock filter. As far as the other post not noticing any top end gain. That is most likely due to the stock exhaust. The Std. Tundra exhaust is not designed for top end power. Trucks are made to haul and tow. A utilitarial purpose. If you were to put an oversized exhaust on your truck you would gain greater top end power with a sacrafice of bottom end power. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a drop in K & N for about 2 weeks, and switched back to the stock filter....I am running a magnaflow catback exhaust, and with the K & N, it just felt like I had a little less low end torque. Call me crazy...I don't have any specs to prove this, I just personally didn't like how it sounded or how the low end torque felt....so I changed back to stock. Been happy ever since.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Try resetting your computer by disconnecting the negative side of the battery and leave it disconnected for 5 minutes or so.
Thats been done.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Perform an Oil analysis with and without the K&N and you'll never consider one again.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm glad some people are starting to realize intakes don't do squat. I sent another member some information, and I'll post that here.

Engine has intake from the factory designed for the MAF to read the air a certain way. It's sensitive because of the way the factory air box is shaped. Altering the intake is possible, but even though the ECU is smart and will do its best to keep the AFR in check, the MAF doesn't adapt or change the way it's supposed to read airflow. So with any aftermarket intakes, like the k&n, and the trueflow like you have, the air is traveling through in a different way and the MAF doesn't know it. It just thinks something isn't right. That is sometimes heard as the "I lost low end" response from most people.

Now opening up your exhaust and adding an intake will give you more flow. Pretty common sense that the more air you can get in, the more it will push out, right? Seems that way, but remember, you only really gave your truck some more freedom to "breathe" by adding the intake. The intake itself cannot force more air into the engine, only deliver it. The term "intake" speaks for itself because it's only drawing in the air. A important thing to remember is the intake ports on the intake manifold haven't changed. So even though you have the freedom to breathe more, you can't necessarily fit in more air.

Kinda think of it like breathing through your nose (stock) versus your mouth (trueflow/k&n). Your mouth can get the air in easier because of the size/space, but your lungs(intake manifold) can't take in more oxygen/air just from breathing from your mouth.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
1 - 20 of 85 Posts