Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the inevitable happend. Someone decided I cant have anything nice in my life with out fugging it up. So now I've got sizeable chip in my door from where someone decided to leave their mark :cry:. So to the point..where is the best place to buy touch up paint for my rig? Does toyota make factory touch up paint that you can buy at the stealership? thx everyone... (btw my colour is salsa pearl red)

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Yes, buy it at the dealership. Toyota offers it in a little bottle with a brush attached to the lid.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
AHH -- the sound of the words "touch-up paint" always make me cringe.

Unless the scratch is HUGE, touch-up paint in the bottle is probably a bad idea. It's hard to apply (unless you've got experience) and it's usually overkill. There are some wet sanding methods that will remove or greatly reduce the appearance of the scratch on your Tundra.

Essentially, you want to have a pro do an EXTREMELY light sanding on the scratch which will reorganize the paint/clear-coat molecules and make the scratch "dissappear" -- provided of course it's not too big or too deep.

Is it too big? Are we talking about a scratch you can easily feel with a fingernail? Is it the length of a whole body panel? Can you see metal in the scratch? If any of the above is true, touch-up paint is the solution, but take it to the local body shop. If the car's been keyed and/or an entire panel is scratched, you'll need to call the Ins. company. Otherwise, they should be able to touch it up for less than $40. Make sure they have a written guarantee and that you understand it. Usually the guy will tell you what it's going to look like when he's done.

If none of the above is true and it's a light scratch, the same local body shop will fix it for a few bucks ($20), maybe even for free if they work with your dealer. I used to get stuff fixed all the time for my customers when I worked at a dealership just as a way to build good will -- call your salesman (or even better the new car manager) and tell him what happened. If you're nice and don't ask for anything for free, a lot of times they will 'hook you up'.

Either way, make sure you realize that you may always be able to find the scratch -- most people can see them if they know where to look -- but that either one of the above methods will greatly diminish the appearance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Everything Tundrahq said plus:

Get the touch up paint from the dealer. Body shops use a different, two stage paint that does not work in a bottle, plus it would cost too much to mix. The little bottle from the dealer is a one step paint. There are several places, including the body shops mentioned that do touch up work. Trust me, it is an art and very hard to do without practice. Most people always apply too much kinda like white-out and it shows up almost more than the chip did in the first place. A good one will make it very hard to notice, and it protects the metal.

Around here, alot of the paintless dent removal places do that as well and would also be able to take out a small dent in it if there is one.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Yes that's true -- the stuff in the bottle from the dealer is more like the factory paint than body shop paint, but I still don't think it should be used by anyone but a trained pro (or someone with a lot of practice, but why spend hours practicing something you can get fixed for a few bucks?)

Like I said -- call the new car manager at the dealer you got your truck from and he'll tell you where to get it fixed and for how much. I bet it's $20 or less provided it's small, and you can get with the guy on your lunch break.

Tell them you sent in (or will send in) a good customer service survey and you might get it free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is..I know its small but it just pisses me off everytime I look at it...

Though I appreciate the advice, I will try and go thru the stealership route 1st, and if that doesnt pan out, Ill try and touch it up (somethings gotta be better than looking at that for the next 20 years)

·
Banned
223 Posts
Several years ago I discovered a ding like that in my truck and after investigating, found the offending car sitting right next to my truck with the paint transfer from my truck still on their door edge. I stood there for a while hoping the a**holes would return but no luck. I even sat in my truck for about 20 minutes hoping they would come back. Finally I got out and I planted my size 11 in their door about knee deep and calmly turned and got in my truck and left. I hate to be chicken sh*t but thats exactly the way they treated my truck so I simply repaid the favor.

It never fails......when you have something nice - some a**hole will f**k it up for you every time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Had a sizable scratch on the rear bumper of my wife's Lexus a couple of years ago. I did it trying to lift a tool box out of the trunk. Anyway, called the Lexus dealership and they recommended we call the guy they use for such things. The guy came out and did the repair in my garage. When he got done it was like the scratch never existed. Cost me $200. Not cheap but better than looking at that nasty scratch for several years. Hopefully you can get it done cheaper - just remember you usually get what you pay for. You probably won't be satisfied unless you have a professional do it right.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just bought some Salsa Red Pearl at the dealer today for $10.80. It's in a typical size touch-up bottle. The cap had a roller-ball like an ink pen, and then when you take the cap off there is a small brush inside. The guy behind the counter said to only use the brush.....not sure why.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You might try this first. LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair

I've had great results with this on my last truck numerous times. Makes the chip nearly invisible. It doesnt look like wetsanding or polishing is going to help that. You need to fill that in.

Hope this helps
I used this with mixed results. Not bad for a do-it-yourself job but you can still see the repair. Looks pretty good if it's just a small rock chip. A big chip or scratch, especially in metallic, is hard to blend.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was at Wal-Mart and this little old lady pushed her buggy into my truck, and then proceeded to open her car door against it.

I immediately ran around my truck, kicked the buggy out of the way and pushed the woman down. I managed to get her into a headlock, and then rolled around behind her with a full nelson hold. She squirmed out of it, and countered with a fairly heavy punch to my jaw, but I held my own. I stomped her foot, and while she was jumping around on one leg, I delivered a round-house kick to her blue hairdo. She lost her balance and fell on the ground again, and I thought at this point I had her, but....She was a tough old bird, however, and she swift kicked me with those black orthopedic shoes..yeah, you guessed it...right between the legs with a solid shot to "my boys."

I was doubled up on the ground in the fetal position, about to throw my guts up...and she picked up her purse and swatted me across the back of the head, said something about my momma...and then got back into her Buick.

I decided I would pay for the touch-up paint myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of scratches, I happen to need a DD this past weekend. On the last turn to get onto my street the young lady driving me hone happen to pass my street. She puts my Tundra into reverse and backs up to make the turn. When she goes to shift into drive she did not depress the brake and it stalled my truck (strange..first), we then back rolled into a ditch and along side a stop sign which happen to find its way down the side of my truck. One large dent on the driver door and some small ones on the back driver door. Talk about pain, I tried so hard to keep the truck dent free and then the inevitable happens without me in the driver seat, that hurts the most. I made an insurance claim today and have a meeting in the morning. Does anyone know if they just replace the "Skins" on the doors or does Toyota require a whole new door?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was at Wal-Mart and this little old lady pushed her buggy into my truck, and then proceeded to open her car door against it.

I immediately ran around my truck, kicked the buggy out of the way and pushed the woman down. I managed to get her into a headlock, and then rolled around behind her with a full nelson hold. She squirmed out of it, and countered with a fairly heavy punch to my jaw, but I held my own. I stomped her foot, and while she was jumping around on one leg, I delivered a round-house kick to her blue hairdo. She lost her balance and fell on the ground again, and I thought at this point I had her, but....She was a tough old bird, however, and she swift kicked me with those black orthopedic shoes..yeah, you guessed it...right between the legs with a solid shot to "my boys."

I was doubled up on the ground in the fetal position, about to throw my guts up...and she picked up her purse and swatted me across the back of the head, said something about my momma...and then got back into her Buick.

I decided I would pay for the touch-up paint myself.
ROFL, she did a number on you :clown:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Several years ago I discovered a ding like that in my truck and after investigating, found the offending car sitting right next to my truck with the paint transfer from my truck still on their door edge. I stood there for a while hoping the a**holes would return but no luck. I even sat in my truck for about 20 minutes hoping they would come back. Finally I got out and I planted my size 11 in their door about knee deep and calmly turned and got in my truck and left. I hate to be chicken sh*t but thats exactly the way they treated my truck so I simply repaid the favor.

It never fails......when you have something nice - some a**hole will f**k it up for you every time.
I may get a ration of sh!t for this, but nice work!!! I would have done the same, then parked across the lot so I could see the reaction.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here it is..I know its small but it just pisses me off everytime I look at it...

Though I appreciate the advice, I will try and go thru the stealership route 1st, and if that doesnt pan out, Ill try and touch it up (somethings gotta be better than looking at that for the next 20 years)
i have one in the same spot on the door and it looks exactly like yours. lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just bought some Salsa Red Pearl at the dealer today for $10.80. It's in a typical size touch-up bottle. The cap had a roller-ball like an ink pen, and then when you take the cap off there is a small brush inside. The guy behind the counter said to only use the brush.....not sure why.
You can buy those exact touch-up bottles at autozone for about $4. I got the same thing, and it's even labeled "Toyota Phantom Gray"

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Do they sell more than just the touch up? Im looking to color match my handles and some other things before long. Touch up bottle wont cut it. :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's hard to tell but that looks like it might just be in the clear coat. It looks like there is red under the scratch in the picture. If that is the case you might be able to buff it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts