Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to put a touchscreen lcd monitor in the opening where the stock head unit resides(it is the jbl system), and was wondering if anyone had already done this? I want like a 6.5" to 7" screen that I can hook acd changer to, as well as a dvd player. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative. Or would you guys go with a flip out monitor?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I've got an eclipse avn5500 in my dc. I've got pics in my gallery if you want to see it.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I've got an eclipse avn5500 in my dc. I've got pics in my gallery if you want to see it.
...just curious about the NAV on the AVN5500. I only meant to ask one question (sorry)...

Does it store the maps on the DVD, or just loads the maps into the unit from the Nav DVD, and then you put the Nav DVD away?

Is this a talking Nav?

Can you toggle back and forth from watching a movie and navigating with a button, or do you have to flop discs back and forth?

And can you do both at the same time (ex: use the navigation on the unit, and watch a movie on a remote monitor?)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Q: Does it store the maps on the DVD, or just loads the maps into the unit from the Nav DVD, and then you put the Nav DVD away?

A: Maps are on the dvd and I'm not sure what would happen if I took the disk out to watch a movie while driving to a preprogrammed destination.

Q: Is this a talking Nav?
A: Yes it is.

Q: Can you toggle back and forth from watching a movie and navigating with a button, or do you have to flop discs back and forth?
A: It only has one dvd drive so you have to swap back and forth.

Q: And can you do both at the same time (ex: use the navigation on the unit, and watch a movie on a remote monitor?)
A: I believe that if you programmed a short trip that the info would remain in the unit memory while playing a dvd movie. I'm sure that it would depend on the amount of information that the map held between your location and destination.

I weighed the price to options and felt like this was the best bang for my buck. I paid $969 from cartronixplus and it included the ipod unit plus shipping. I intend to make an ipod my dedicated hd and am going to install a separate dvd system in the headrests for rear seat passengers. That way I can listen to what I want and they can watch whatever they want. I can get a complete system in the back for around what head rest monitors alone would cost so it only makes sense to maintain two different systems.

The maps on the pioneer units do look better but they also cost a lot more. I wasn't willing to pay the difference so I went with the eclipse. Also the eclipse offers me a 9 band adjustable eq and I like just being able to touch the screen to make a change instead of fumbling around with menus controlled by little buttons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts