Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 DC and the throttle is very touchy. Is there anything that can be done to get it apply power more gradually?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bigger size tires. Smaller diameter tires have a tendency to give you a more responsive acceleration and other related tendencies.

That may not be the avenue you want to go down though. What's your current setup? Stock, mods?

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I had the same issue coming over from an antique pickup truck with a carburetor.
The Tundra took a little getting used to ~ then we bought a late model Acura RDX.
The Acura is lots worse than the Tundra in my opinion.
As the fellow above mentioned, I've gotten used to it after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Considering this is one of 4 vehicles I drive and this is the only one remotely like this, I don't see myself getting used to it. Hope to find another solution. Way to touchy for my liking.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like the touchiness to it, though it does throw me off as well. It’s one of the 4 trucks I drive on a daily basis and it’s the most responsive of all of them, even the one cable operated throttle I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The touchiness is fine on paved and gravel roads but it's trouble on snow, ice and mud and that's where I have the problem with it. Someone has got to know a fix for this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hook up a decent scan tool that can read live sensor data. Slowly press the accelerator and see if the throttle pedal input matches throttle position sensor % (no input equals near zero, roughly 50% pedal travel results in roughly 50% throttle position, Wide open throttle = 100% throttle opening)

If your throttle pedal input is not matching what your throttle body is actually doing, you may have an issue with your throttle pedal switch or your throttle position sensor (TPS) or you may just have a truck that is particularly peppy.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
It could be the throttle actuator.
Also, if you bought the truck used see if it's got an adapter plugged inline with the accelerator pedal. Some brands of those are the Pedal Commander and the SprintBooster. Both will make the accelerator sensitive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It could be the throttle actuator.
Also, if you bought the truck used see if it's got an adapter plugged inline with the accelerator pedal. Some brands of those are the Pedal Commander and the SprintBooster. Both will make the accelerator sensitive.
Depending on the model, these trucks have the Throttle position sensor(TPS), as well as an Accelerator Position Sensor(APPS). I had my APPS go out a while back and it made throttle response really really low. made the truck feel lame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to know it's not just me.....I've got an 08 Sequoia Limited 5.7 and I've chirped tires accidentally several times -am way to used to driving my work truck (03 Expedition) for the last 10 years. I've grown to love the response and power, however....think I'll just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I found a DIY fix for the touchy tip in issue. Considering the pedal basically operates as a lever, the closer to the end of the pedal you press the greater the ratio of foot movement to actual throttle actuation. Initially I considered lengthening the pedal but quickly realized there’s no room for it. I ended up relocating the pedal further up the firewall. The bottom right mount hole is now about 1/4” below the left top mounting stud. Not directly below, still plumb with the lower right stud, long story short the whole assembly is about 2” above where it used to be. I attached a couple pics to sum it up. The firewall is far from flat however so some spacers will be required to get it secured properly. I just drilled out the new mounting location holes and popped in 1/4” nutserts to run the new mounting bolts into. Now you can catch the tip of the pedal and maintain much more control, and another nice thing in my opinion is the pedal pushes more forward as compared to the stock downward travel...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Tundran
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing