Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where to get one of those buttons for the blank spots in the dash? i need to fill one of the spots with a one of those buttons. i dont care what it says i just want the factory look. the dealer wants over $80 bucks for it. i thought that was crazy expensive. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
this generation tundra is now over 3 years old so theres a ton of them showing up in salvage yards...check there or on ebay, lots of salvage dealers sell on there all the time. what u gonna use it for? its most likely going to be a momentary switch that u cant use for lights or something like that....if u want just the blank those i cant imagine being any money at all....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the junk yards around here say the new style tundra isnt around yet. i find it hard to believe. i am using it for a pioneer head unit for the dvd player. it is suppose to be hooked up to the break pedal but i put it on a toggle switch but its ugly and i want a factory button to put in there. when you push the tow button or traction button the light on the dash stay until you push it again or shut off the truck so i dont think its momentary. not sure?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
pretty sure they are momentary....just like on the trac button u can push and release or push and hold for 3 seconds and get a different result blah blah blah. all its doing is sending the computer a signal when its pushed and the computer is triggering the desired action. theres no click on click off function on them, its just completing a circuit momentarily to send the signal or ground, whichever it uses...but i would be willing to bet they are just momentary switches...especially since the traction button has more than one function and more than one way of using it...

edit, oh duh. of course they are momentary switches that just send that signal. otherwise they would be either on or off, and they would still be on or off when u turn the truck off and restart it....if they were a on off style switch they would be where u left them when u turned it off...since they are not, they reset to factory defaults when you turn off and then turn back on the ignition.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
going out on a limb here, and never installed one so i dont knwo for sure...but im guessing it has a lead thats supposed to wire to the parking brake so it only works when the parking brake is on right? assuming it needs 12V+ so you wire into the side going to the dash indicator? IF it needs 12v + to think the brake is on, why not just wire it to something that is 12V+ the whole time you the truck is on, like the cigar lighter thats ignition switched, or the radio circuit or something....i assume u want to be all illegal and watch DVDs while driving (not even going to get into that) and thats why u are doing it "your way", so if thats the case, why put a switch on it, just wire it so it is enabled every time u turn it on?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man i think your right about the switches being momentary. and you cant use the 12v power thing because it needs to be pressed on and off more than once to work. kinda weird setup pioneer did. i guess i will use a toggle under the dash. and yes i am trying to set it up to watch while you drive. we go on road trips often and the wife likes to watch a movie to pass the time. thats why i bought it. thanks for the help with figuring out that there momentary buttons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The blanks are keyed.

I found it out the hard way: I ordered a replacement "pocket" to replace the unit holding the Tow/Haul switch plus 2 blanks and a lower pocket. The plan was to put my P3 brake controller into this pocket and relocate the Tow/Haul switch to the blank to the right of the steering column. Upon poping out the blanks, I discover each blank and switch are keyed (different slot marks on both left / right side of the switch / blank). So the Tow/Haul switch cannot go into another position but the current one; a blank is not interchangable with another blank. Surely this is done to ensure assemblers cannot mix up switch locations.

Now, you can file way those keys on the switch / blank that are supposed to match the slots. I did not do that. Instead, I installed the P3 in between the two 12-v sockets.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
they must be fairly easy to modify to move, several users have moved their TH switches and power rear window switches for the crewmax etc so that shouldnt be a hold back...just the fact they are momentary is going to cause the issue i feel..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts