Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what the differences were between a 2" and a 3 1/4" drop tow hitch, my brother has a 2006 stock doublecab tundra and we just picked up a 3 1/4". should we have gotten a 2" or does it not make any difference? thanks for any help you guys can give me

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It all depends on the trailer. The goal is to keep the trailer level while towing. You need to find out how high off the ground the coupler on the trailer is and then use an appropriate hitch to keep the trailer level.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is entirely dependent on the trailer. I carry both a 5.5" and 2.5" with me. The 10' utility trailer I pull requires the 5.5" to level it out. The car trailer I pull sits pretty level with the 2.5" drop.

Level your trailer sitting on the leg, measure and figure out how much drop you need. I always get the feeling that a shorter drop is a more sturdy hitch. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
couldn't help myself! The difference between a 2" drop and 3 1/4" is 1 1/4 inches :D! Seriously, every trailer is different in construction so there isn't a hitch that's perfect for every trailer. Get the one for your trailer that allows the hitch to sit level on your truck with tongue weight on it. Some trailers also have adjustable heights on their hitch set-up also. My guess is the 2" drop would work the best since our trucks recievers aren't as high up as a 3/4 ton truck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts