Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a brand new Toyota Tundra owner. I searched the forum and have not found an answer to my question. If i repeat, I apologize.

I live in Alaska. The market for new vehicles are very limited up here. When i was searching for the Tundra I wanted, I could not find it in Alaska. There are only 2 dealers statewide. I was searching for the Double cab limited 5.7l with the memory package. I had to look outside the state, specifically in the northwest area so i could have it shipped up hear via boat. The best deal I found (in the color i wanted) was from Kirkland, Washington. I ended up buying it. There was one small thing i could have done without: The tow mirrors.

It is very difficult getting used to. I have a travel trailer which the tow mirrors would be beneficial for, but i would rather have the standard side view mirror. I have always used a standard sideview mirror towing the trailer. so the question is:

Has anyone switched out the tow mirrors for the standard mirrors? If so, what was the cost? Was it easily doable? does it work as well as it would from the factory? I know it may be far fetched, but is it possible with the mirror electrical harness to go back and forth when i need the tow mirrors and when i dont?

:ts::beer:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Many have swapped out the mirrors with no problems.

You use the same wiring harness and just plug the new mirrors into the existing harness.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Easy swap from tow mirrors to regular mirrors but not sure you would want to make the swap on a regular basis. I sent you a PM on the mirrors as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought my first Tundra after owning 4 4Runners. Just needed more "truck" for towing and more disappointed with the 4Runner off road and other abilities per each succeeding generation... Eliminating the V8 was the only thing holding me and now its gone...

Anyway, had an issue here with the dealer selling the first vehicle from underneath me, then signing the paperwork on another vehicle as to transport from another dealer in state and while waiting for it to arrive, I got a call stating this was sold as well…:eek: So, they found another a couple states over and I finally have it in the driveway. I wanted the TRD, 4x4 Crewmax and really wanted the tow mirrors as well. During the fiasco, they offered me another Tundra/TRD without the tow mirrors. So, I looked at the tow mirrors and they were a whopping $750, EACH!!! For an option on the sticker costing around $200, this was crazy. You know how Toyota is with their packages… Apparently they claim it takes different wiring, etc and they would not even consider throwing it in for the same price. Either way, I am happier since I got exactly what I wanted...

So, you may want to check with your dealer or find some online from someone who does not want them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tow mirrors cost about $225 each from the dealer, the install is plug and play, takes less than an hour and works with the regular mirror wireing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I negotiated the final price on my CM, I asked the dealer to add tow mirrors as part of the sale, and I would install them. No problem, received them about two weeks after taking delivery of the truck. Just an option when you are about to close the deal - cost the dealer about $325 or so for both.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
you did a search and you still had to ask this question? might wanna do that search thing again...its all over this forum. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want to swap between the regular & tow mirrors then a pair of aftermarket add-on mirrors for towing would seem to be easier & cheaper. Mine came with tow mirrors and at first I wanted to replace them with the standard mirrors but after a few days I really came to like them. I usually back in to a parking space if I can and I aim the lower section of the tow mirror at my rear wheels, makes it easy to line up when backing up. I've never towed anything and never had a need to extend them but it's nice to have them if you ever do. The only time they get in the way is getting in and out of tight parking spaces and folding them in takes care of that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, I looked at the tow mirrors and they were a whopping $750, EACH!!! For an option on the sticker costing around $200, this was crazy. You know how Toyota is with their packages… Apparently they claim it takes different wiring, etc and they would not even consider throwing it in for the same price. Either way, I am happier since I got exactly what I wanted...

So, you may want to check with your dealer or find some online from someone who does not want them.

Good luck!
I found some on Ebay that are not the original, but look just like them. I think they were somewhere around $200 each. Once I actually had the regular mirrors, I liked them and just stayed with them.

I think I might have even posted a thread about it too...or at least I found an answer by searching.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Post in the classifieds on this forum...someone will swap you straight across, you'll just be without them for a couple days unless you can find someone local, but in AK, I bet that will be tough.

I swapped within my first few months of ownership, posted an ad in the classifieds and swapped my Limited mirrors with someone in CA for his Tows. I just taped the holes for 3 days while the mirrors were in transit and kept driving the truck. He got a great deal as I didn't realize how much the Limited Mirrors were worth, but at least I got what I needed and wanted...the Tow mirrors.

Good luck, look to the classifieds section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tow mirrors cost about $225 each from the dealer, the install is plug and play, takes less than an hour and works with the regular mirror wireing.
MacCTD - I saw your other post asking about the mirrors. Glad this worked out for you! When you swapped the mirrors, did you have the 8-wires or 3-wires to the connector??? I have the grade 5.7 with a tow package, but really need the tow mirrors bad for my travel trailer. Can you elaborate on what does/doesnt work with the mirrors and what wiring you had going in????

Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
MacCTD - I saw your other post asking about the mirrors. Glad this worked out for you! When you swapped the mirrors, did you have the 8-wires or 3-wires to the connector??? I have the grade 5.7 with a tow package, but really need the tow mirrors bad for my travel trailer. Can you elaborate on what does/doesnt work with the mirrors and what wiring you had going in????

Thanks!

Pretty sure I have 8 wires, I had heated sport mirrors. Everything works, running lights, turn signals and heat. Plus and play. My truck is a grade, it did have heated mirrors as a stand alone option.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You could have special ordered a Tundra with exactly the set up you wanted for only $500 from Kendall Toyota. Even Auto Service Company in Fairbanks will do that for you.

It was already mentioned, but yes, you can change out your tow mirrors to the stock mirrors. Check out Sparks Toyota for a descent deal on a set of regular mirrors. I'm looking to get a set of standard mirrors with the auto fold function. I'll keep my tow mirrors for when I need them, but not having to get out of the truck to fold and unfold them will be nice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You could have special ordered a Tundra with exactly the set up you wanted for only $500 from Kendall Toyota. Even Auto Service Company in Fairbanks will do that for you.

It was already mentioned, but yes, you can change out your tow mirrors to the stock mirrors. Check out Sparks Toyota for a descent deal on a set of regular mirrors. I'm looking to get a set of standard mirrors with the auto fold function. I'll keep my tow mirrors for when I need them, but not having to get out of the truck to fold and unfold them will be nice.

I special ordered my truck, I could not order tow mirrors, the options could only be ordered in packages, no stand alone options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts