Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any have the to mirrors? they are a big neccesity for me and am wondering how useful they are and how do they look on a d cab? be honest dont cae if the garbage just need too know how good they are.

·
Registered
338 Posts
any have the to mirrors? they are a big neccesity for me and am wondering how useful they are and how do they look on a d cab? be honest dont cae if the garbage just need too know how good they are.
Mine has them (see my pic post). I did not like them at first,but glad I got them after driving it several weeks. Them bottom mirror gives close up for backing and blind spots. Haven't needed the heater in them yet, but they work great and pull out, great for towing. As I believe there is not a remote fold feature for the '07 they are a little awkward in tight parking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a question that hasn't really be answered yet. How hard will it be to switch out regular mirrors for a set of tow mirrors?? My main concern is will the eletrical connection for the turn signal be in the door when the mirrors are switched out. Any comments are apprecatied. :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not 100% but on another thread they were talking about installing a backup camera and one guy said they were all prewired for it. so I'm guessing this should be the same with the mirrors they should already be prewired, it should just be a matter of pluging in some wires.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of their new 07 Tundra with the tow mirrors, I can't seem to find a picture.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine is coming with the tow mirrors. I don't want them so I had the sales guy ask parts and the service dept. They say they are all set up the same and can be rewired internally for the blinkers or the heat.

May be swapping out of the town mirrors after a couple of weeks of driving if I can't get used to them. On my test drive a couple of times it seemed like the view out the passenger window was nothing but tow mirror and I know it is going to cause problems getting in and out of the garage not to mention parking spots at Sonic Drive In.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you can not test drive the '07 Tundra tow mirrors then you might want to check out the mirrors on a '00-'07 Ford Superduty with tow mirrors. There should be plenty of those trucks out there.

I say this because I own both a '07 Tundra with tow mirrors and a F-250 Superduty with tow mirrors. Both trucks have almost an exact view out of them. Most conventional drivers dislike telescoping tow mirrors at first because they are nothing like standard mirrors and it takes them time to retrain their look technique. After that they usually like them alot. After a bit of time you'll find yourself using the lower wide-angle portion much more than the larger upper standard mirror. That applies to using them for both backing up and lane changes. Myself and friends and relatives with Superduties were talking one day and found out we had come to this conclusion independently on our own (one of those "oh yeah, me too!" type conversations). I found identical tendancies and results with the Tundra.

Don't get me wrong, the two makes aren't exactly the same. The factory tow mirrors on my Tundra have a lower aspect ratio than the Ford and that actually gives you a slightly better field of view in the Tundra while leaning toward the Ford in a miniscule reduction in parasitic drag and reduced view blocking.

I will admit I have noticed the passenger side tow mirror on my Tundra blocking the view to the right at intersections on at least one occasion but not to the point that a little head movement or rubbernecking couldn't cure. I love these type mirrors but I also tow a lot and will work the truck daily so I was a perfect candidate for them. They were a must for me going in and I was very enthused to see them on the truck I eventually bought.

As an aside I've had more than one Superduty friend say they want a Tundra after driving mine. Even my crusty old cousin who's got a dusty cattle ranch (and a 24' livestock gooseneck). He cussed his Superduty (and Ford itself) the whole time he was driving my smooth-riding Tundra over bumpy dirt roads and arroyos (didn't even spill his Miller Lite).

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
How bout' some pictures showing off those tow mirrors...:D :tu:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here are some pictures of the Tundra's tow mirrors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How much wider does it make the truck with the towing mirrors? I ordered the towing mirrow when I bought the truck, the dealer will install them when they are in. The standard mirrors don't leave alot of room on a standard 9' garage door maybe 4 inches per side.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Skyhammerz, are those mirrors pulled out/extended or are they in?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Mark:

You're not going to make it in the door. Roll your window down and fold in the mirror on your side so you can offset the truck to the left and then it ought to go in/out of the door fine.

The wife drove mine into one of those automatic touchless carwashes the other day and the machinery cleared them by a gnat's arse. Scared the hell out of her :devil:. She'll never do that again.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of their new 07 Tundra with the tow mirrors, I can't seem to find a picture.

Thanks
Mine has them,check my pic post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. My wife is already giving me a hard time about the sonar going off as you pull in the garage.

·
Registered
208 Posts

On my 05 Tundra I spent many hours looking for a solution. My options came down to. CIPA Strap on's (they suck) or McKesh. The McKesh are very well respected in the RV forums I visit but they strap to your door and I didn't like that idea a bit. I eventually went with the CIPA strap ons. Cipa Temporary Mount Universal Towing Mirror : JC Whitney: Truck Accessories & Parts

They satisfy the police but they aren't very good. They are better than nothing.

I like the new tow mirrors on the my 07 a lot. They do take some getting used to. They are quite large and they create blind spots when turning. I think that's just because I haven't gotten used to them yet.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can someone with "regular" mirrors, and then someone with "towing" mirrors do the following to help us poor saps still trying to decide :ts:

- Open both front windows
- grab your handy dandy tape measure
- measure from mirror tip (outboard) to mirror tip (other outboard)

- Those with the tow mirrors repeat with mirrors extended

That would be fantastic FAQ material :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
Can someone with "regular" mirrors, and then someone with "towing" mirrors do the following to help us poor saps still trying to decide :ts:

- Open both front windows
- grab your handy dandy tape measure
- measure from mirror tip (outboard) to mirror tip (other outboard)

- Those with the tow mirrors repeat with mirrors extended

That would be fantastic FAQ material :D
Tow mirrors stowed, 102"
Tow mirrors extended, 108.5"

Same stowed width as a F250 Super Duty. 3/4" wider than extended Super Duty.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts