Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone here can clear up my confusion.

I was looking at my dealer's inventory and doing the "build your Toyota" online the other night. It looks like you have to go to a Limited to get the power tow mirrors. I went to the dealership yesterday and they had an SR5 with the mirrors on it. They did not have the power extend/retract but I didn't check to see if they were power adjustable.

Is this the "Heated mirror" option?
Are they power adjustable?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Over the past couple of weeks in searching for a Tundra DC, I have learned that the Tow Mirrors on the SR-5 are manually extendable, the top half of the mirror is power adjustable, the bottom half is not. The Tow Mirrors and the standard heated mirrors are not interchangeable...they are vehicle specific.

My question to anyone who has the Tow Mirrors: Do they have a lot of vibration while driving in the extended position? Are they a worthwhile addition??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the tow mirrors on my crewmax limited. They are heated, you can power adjust the top portion as mentioned , but not the bottom section. They are not power retractable. I also have not driven with them fully extended yet, but you do get some wind noise at regular position.

On the crewmax limited, the tow mirrors cause you to loose the power tilt and telescopic steering wheel feature as well as the memory for the seats, mirrors, and steering wheel. I have not heard a good explanation for this yet. I also have not seen any crewmax limited without the tow mirrors, at least in the gulf states region.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't understand why the mirrors would have anything to do with the seats and steering wheel! I also can't understand why I can't find a SR-5 DC, Long Bed, that comes with the Towing Package standard...with Tow Mirrors! One dealer told me that a mirror is a mirror and why did I insist on the TM's. Because I like to see what is behind my 30 foot trailer............. I would also gladly pay for power extendable tow mirrors, but that isn't even an option. It is on Chevys and Fords................

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know what you mean. Why would a DC limited not have at least an option for memory seats and power tilt-telescopic? What's that have to do with having a crewmax?

The manufacturers jostle the options around to make one model more interesting than the other, and leave room for "free" enhancements to the models in follow-on years.

They all do it, and it can be frustrating. Toyota is probably a little worse than the domestics in this area, as they have a history of "packaged" options and odd "port" packages from the days when all their vehicles had to be shipped from Japan.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My CrewMax came with the tow mirrors, although I didn't particularly want them (I bought a pre-configured truck instead of ordering). They are powered and heated, but they stick out a long way. I can't imagine extending them out even further. I'm sure I never will. If you get the tow mirrors, good luck going through the drive-through teller at the bank or any other "tight" places.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A little side note on the length of the tow mirrors, DO NOT underesitmate the length of these things, last week i had an unfortunate altercation with a chevy with extended tow mirrors, and lost my driver side mirror. Yes thats right, i believe i am the first to have had an accident with my new tundra. Not too bad though, the mirror cost 250 from the dealer and the paint is less that 300 worth of damage, but what a bitch that was to have ruined my new baby.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am looking to put the tow mirrors on my new SR5. The dealer told me that the wiring harness is different so they would not work. I have a 24 foot travel trailer and have trouble on the drivers side seeing behind me. Has anyone exchanged there sport mirrors for the tow mirrors and did the wiring harness work. I don't have heated mirrors, so I assume that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 07 DC 5.7 limited in June in Des Moines, IA. I told them I had to have the tow mirrors, they said they couldn't add them to the truck I wanted. My brother-in-law sells Toyota's in Washington State and I knew he had sold a friend of mine one that they had traded mirrors on. After calls to the Regional Manager who said it couldn't be done I had them call Washington and get the parts number and labor time and they put them on but refused to warrent them.
A little spendy but really great towing a trailer. They are rock solid extended. The are the best tow mirrors I've ever had. I haven't experienced trouble with them at banks or McDonalds, I'm just careful. The original mirrors stuck about as far, but they folded in electronically.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Over the past couple of weeks in searching for a Tundra DC, I have learned that the Tow Mirrors on the SR-5 are manually extendable, the top half of the mirror is power adjustable, the bottom half is not. The Tow Mirrors and the standard heated mirrors are not interchangeable...they are vehicle specific.

My question to anyone who has the Tow Mirrors: Do they have a lot of vibration while driving in the extended position? Are they a worthwhile addition??
O.K. first I have an SR5 it only had the heated mirrors on it. I know have the tow mirrors "thanks E-Bay" they are plug and play every thing works. Now they are not power folding or any thing but the lights work. All I did was pull the old ones off and put the new ones on. I had several delears tell me the wiring harness was diff. the harness may be diffirent but the other one works :tu:.
Now for the movment issue. Mine are very stable. if a big truck passes I may see a small bit of vibration on the glass.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It is my understanding that if your wire harness has 8 wires in it then the power mirror, the heated mirror part will work along with the blinker and driving lights. If your harness has 3 or 4 wires in it. The power mirror is the only thing that will work. Your harness must have more wires than 8 for all the limited mirror functions to work. If your truck is a limited all of the above model mirrors will work.The one thing to remember is the limited mirror is the "only" one with power fold in option. I hope this clears the air on mirrors. What I have found is most of the dealers do not know what the he!! there talking about most of the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a SR5 with tilt, telescoping and power seats with heated, power tow mirrors. It is possible. Do not notice much at all while driving, love the veiw they offer.

·
Banned
216 Posts
I took my TM's off, and put the LIMITED chrome mirrors on. My harness was an 8 pin, and the LIMITED mirror had an additional 2 wires on it. All functions work except the "power fold" of course, the mirror adjustment and the in glass turn signal work fine, I do not know if the heated glass works yet. The only bad part of the deal is cost! The Limited mirrors cost over $500.00 from a dealer out of WA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a SR5 with tilt, telescoping and power seats with heated, power tow mirrors. It is possible. Do not notice much at all while driving, love the veiw they offer.
Ditto, I have the very same equipment, so if the dealer/website/joe-down-the-street is indicating you can't get tilt/telescopic steering and power seats all with tow mirrors, then that source is incorrect. They're huge, they stick way out there and will be in the way at the drive thru, and just about every other place. Thankfully, as others mentioned, they do fold in (manually). The view to the rear is outstanding. Vibration does exist, but it's very minimal even extended. If you are pulling a wide trailer/RV or just want to get a good look at stuff behind you, they work wonders.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I tow a 25ft. tow trailer with my tow mirrors fully extended, no vibrations. everything in mirrors work. My truck is an sr5 power seat, tilt telescope wheel. I bought my mirrors from dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My CM came with the tow mirrors and I love them. You can just see everything to the side and behind you. No vibrations but they do stick out some, okay a lot. I've had to fold them in a couple of times so they wouldn't be knocked off when others backed out of parking spaces. If things are tight fold them in. In such a big truck I appreciate the view they give. Tony

·
Banned
216 Posts
Are you saying you have a set of limited tow mirrors laying around? Do you want to sell them? I get tired of mounting the CIPA's and I can walk in to the bank.
Airstreamer, I don't think there is such a thing as LIMITED tow mirrors. My truck is the SR5, I removed the tow mirrors that everyone is talking about in this thread, and replaced them with the Standard LIMITED mirrors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a limited.... I put tow mirrors on it, and sold my limited ones to someone on here with a TRD crewmax ..... we also met in Jasper and swapped control panels, He had to run a couple of wires between the mirror connector and a connector behind the drivers kickplate, works fine, the tow mirrors were plug and play on my limited, allthough the dealer told me it was not possible. I lost (of course) power fold, and electrochromatic tinting, but I love the tow mirrors.

·
Banned
216 Posts
I have a limited.... I put tow mirrors on it, and sold my limited ones to someone on here with a TRD crewmax ..... we also met in Jasper and swapped control panels, He had to run a couple of wires between the mirror connector and a connector behind the drivers kickplate, works fine, the tow mirrors were plug and play on my limited, allthough the dealer told me it was not possible. I lost (of course) power fold, and electrochromatic tinting, but I love the tow mirrors.
Really! I sent you a pm on 8/14 to try and make deal with you. You fed me a line about waiting to see what the dealer was going to do! Thanks for the follow up there, pal!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts