Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit down on a New Tundra Double Cab sr5. Does anybody hace the tow mirrors? Do you like them? I am thinking about adding the after but wanted to see what people thought of them. I do tow a 26' boat about 8 times a year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine came with them. I really didn't want them because they are a little big and bulky and kind of block your side view. Figured I would keep them for a few weeks and just see what I thought. I now really like them although you have to be careful going in and out of the garage.
There are people willing to swap tow mirrors for regular mirrors on this web site. So if you want to save the cash just post that you are willing to swap even and I bet you will find a taker.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just bought a SR5 DC yesterday with the TM's, and I wanted them because I tow a 22' boat and a 35' travel trailer. I have yet to tow a trailer, but I am sure they are going to come in handy, especially for backing up. The built in spot mirror is really neat and eliminates blind spots. When I was researching the Tundra I sent an E-mail to Toyota asking if the mirrors could be swapped for the standard mirrors and vice versa. Their repsonse is below:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for your concern in finding the vehicle of your choice.

Unfortunately, the tow mirrors are factory installed and cannot be switched out with the standard heated mirrors.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200704060677. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Brandi Galindo-Cherry
Toyota Customer Experience

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I believe they are a must for a truck this size. The additional mirror surface and convex spot mirrors come in very handy. I traded in my F250 with the big tow mirrors and I was surprised these have more mirror surface and a more viewable area than the F250's tow mirrors.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I purchased a 07 DC SR5 off the lot a few weeks ago that had the tow mirrors. It was a compromise to get a truck somewhat like I wanted but had to take options I didn't want: Towing Package (and tow mirrors) and a Cold Climate Package.

The mirrors are big & bulky and stick out too far even when not extended. I have to be very careful when I go to work since I have to badge through a security gate. To miss hitting the badge reader now, I have to lean out the truck – not fun in bad weather. It would have been nice if they were the same size as the standard mirrors when not extended.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I believe they are a must for a truck this size. The additional mirror surface and convex spot mirrors come in very handy. I traded in my F250 with the big tow mirrors and I was surprised these have more mirror surface and a more viewable area than the F250's tow mirrors.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :tu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also wondering, how hard is it to take out the factory installed tow mirrors and replace with a custom crome set. ( if they even make a crome set) or the smaller mirrors?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My SR5 DC came with the tow mirrors and I did not want them. In my opinion they do not offer that much of an improvement of rear view than the standard mirrors and I tow a 18 foot race car trailer. They are so large and extend way too far into your side window field of vision. I personally feel that they make driving unsafe because of the blind spot they create.

These are most definetely exchangeable for standard mirrors. I do not know how Toyota can make a statement like this.

Unfortunately, the tow mirrors are factory installed and cannot be switched out with the standard heated mirrors.

I traded my tow mirrors with another TS member for his standard mirrors and both fit perfectly with zero issues. I am sure that others have swapped their mirrors with no issues either.

·
Registered
237 Posts

I traded my tow mirrors with another TS member for his standard mirrors and both fit perfectly with zero issues. I am sure that others have swapped their mirrors with no issues either.

Ditto:tu:. No problems and glad I traded.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does the defroster function work on the tow mirrors after the swap. I have not read anything about the tow mirrors havings the defroster. Thanks.

·
Banned
281 Posts
I got them...they have defroster, running lights(sharp little orange LED's), and turn indicators(DITTO on the LED's)

People that have blind spots probably didn't realize that the mirrors can be pushed forward. They are also telescopic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got them...they have defroster, running lights(sharp little orange LED's), and turn indicators(DITTO on the LED's)

People that have blind spots probably didn't realize that the mirrors can be pushed forward. They are also telescopic.
I'm looking at a SR-5 X-SP with the TM's... What do you mean by they can be pushed forward?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys, I am picking up my LTD tundra with the (Duh) limited chrome small mirrors with integrated turn arrows in the glass, I have ordered the tow mirrors and they are going to try to make them fit on the LTD allthough toyota says they wont fit on the limited....and can someone confirm that there are both running lamps AND turn signals in the mirror ?? Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
well there you have it. Most people love tow mirrors or hate them. I fall in the Hate them group. I flelt like they took up way to much room in the window. As stated above createing a blind spot as mentioned above. I felt when I tried to glance out the passanger window All l could see was the tow mirror. I also think they look too big for the truck. The big 3/4 ton fords look pretty good with the big mirrors. But to me they look like dumbo hanging off the side of the tundra. I tow a 28' travel trailer and a 22 center console boat the regular mirrors work great for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You put yourself in the "Hate" category, I however would put you in the "don't need" category. You would find those little mirrors of yours very handy for counting the bugs on the front face of an 8'6" wide camper. Anyone out there have them on a Limited ??

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
You put yourself in the "Hate" category, I however would put you in the "don't need" category. You would find those little mirrors of yours very handy for counting the bugs on the front face of an 8'6" wide camper. Anyone out there have them on a Limited ??
I have them on mine, now that I traded my Chomies for them, found the trade on this forum.:tu: Thanks again "Chillin":ts:

The Tow Mirrors are a direct swap onto the Limited, 1 plastic "holder on'er" and 3 nuts, behind the triangular piece on the door panel. Takes about 10 minutes per side to swap them. All tow mirror functions work (plug and play) and yes that includes running lights and turn signals on the side of the tow mirrors.
You will lose the auto dimming and power folding features that you have with the Limited Chromies.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you very much for the info!! you think it was a good swap ??

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Thank you very much for the info!! you think it was a good swap ??
Good swap? For me, yes, I wanted the TMs but could not get them with the option packages I wanted when I ordered in Feb. I tow a TT and am now able to see the back corners of the trailer, no way can you do that with the standards.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts