Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any to know if you have the tow package? I read some specs that had different numbers for trucks with the tow package and ones without. I thought all 5.7s came with the tow package.

On the wife's Highlander it was easy, I found the tranny cooler which was a dead giveaway that it had it. Mine came with a hitch and the 7pin/4pin plug but no tow mirrors. They are adding the mirrors later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I asked this question at every dealer ship before I bought my '07 DC 5.7 and every dealer kept telling me the same thing... EVERY 07 is built with the towing package in the frame; they all have it. Not 100% sure that is correct, but they all seem to think so.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If you have a transmission temp gauge, then for sure you have the Tow Package.........

·
Registered
51 Posts
That dealer is either blowing smoke or he has no idea what he's talking about. Not all of the Toyota's in the first batch had the hitch in the frame. I ran across this problem several times. There were several trucks that matched my description (not on the lot) that the dealer tried to sell me swearing it had the tow package but it didn't. If you look at the sticker make sure you don't see tow delete discount. This means that the hitch is not in the frame. Toyota does have a hitch to put on these but it is a class 3 instead of 5. They will try to say this is the standard hitch B.S. You can see the difference in the two under the truck. The first batch is starting to turn over so I believe most of the new Tundras do have the hitch built in the frame.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I forgot to mention. If it's the true two package there should be a white plug/connector in the glovebox that hooks up to the 7pin. Look for TOW/HAUL button. Also since I was getting B.S from the dealers on this issue I called Toyota directly and they confirmed this. Basically they said in order to get these trucks on the lots faster they left out the tow package on some of the first batch he basically called them demo vehicles

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
if you have the 5.7, you have the tow package
yep.
Also, if you have a hitch receiver and trailer harnesses, you have the tow package...usually a dead giveaway...since you need these to tow:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is clearly written on the factory window sticker if the truck has the tow package or not; if the truck has the sport appearance package it will NOT have the tow package installed from the factory. The area distributor may or may not add a receiver hitch and trailer wiring connector as an "added" item.

Lance

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was told ALL tundras have the tow package unless you buy a tundra with the "sport appearence package" which deletes the tow package.
This is true with my DC 5.7L sport, its has no hitch, no tow/haul, no trans temp guage or trans/oil coolers and I think mine has 4.10 gears vs 4.30. My window sticker did state "tow package delete" and the price of the sport package showed $190.00, I guess this was the difference in price of deleting tow and adding the sport package.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In our region,,,, (Portland) ALL V8's (4.7/5.7) Have the full blown tow package ,,, EXCEPT the sport pac trucks,,,, They come in with 8900Lbs tow prep,, no hitch,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I unfortunately did not look hard enough at my 07 Tundra as it did NOT have the tow package. I contacted toyota also about this and they had the Customer Relations manager from the dealership call me, and she did confirm that indeed the 1st batch of Tundras, about 3000-4000 were put out without the tow package to get them on the lots. Now mine was made at the factory in Indiana, so not sure of the ones coming out of the Texas plant. I have a chance to get it installed through the dealer but I have to compare costs vs an aftermarket one.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have a trans temp gauge and the tow/haul button. The reason I was wondering was because the truck did not come with tow mirrors. I have to go back to the dealer and they are supposed to swap my mirrors with the tow mirrors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do have a trans temp gauge and the tow/haul button. The reason I was wondering was because the truck did not come with tow mirrors. I have to go back to the dealer and they are supposed to swap my mirrors with the tow mirrors.

This has been discussed ad nauseam on many other threads: tow mirrors are not a part of the tow package (they are an independent option).

·
Registered
51 Posts
yep.
Also, if you have a hitch receiver and trailer harnesses, you have the tow package...usually a dead giveaway...since you need these to tow:D

Yes if you have a receiver you can tow, but watch out for the aftermarket hitch that toyota puts on the trucks if the truck wasn't manufactured with the tow package. You will be getting a class 3 hitch that pulls around 6400lbs instead of the class 5 that pulls 10,000lbs and paying for the class 5. I've seen this 3 times trying to purchase my truck this aftermarket hitch is bolted to the frame and looks exactly like the class 5 if you don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are there any markings on the aftermarket hitch that show the "Class" of hitch that it is?

Mine was added by the SouthEast distributor and has a big warning sticker about the 5000 pounds towing max and 500 pound tongue weight of the added hitch.

Lance

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Are there any markings on the aftermarket hitch that show the "Class" of hitch that it is?

Mine was added by the SouthEast distributor and has a big warning sticker about the 5000 pounds towing max and 500 pound tongue weight of the added hitch.

Lance
sounds like they Shawshanked ya!!:mad:

only a class III hitch I reckon. Tell me that it doesn't have that puney 1 1/4 inch (or whatever) receiver.:td:

Look on the top of the receiver or down on the cross members, it may be stamped there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, can't find -any- markings on any of part of the hitch. Will get down and dirty later to scope it out better. I'll say this, it is a helluva beefy chunk of hardware, with lotsa mega-bolts attached to various places on the frame. It does have a 2" receiver.

Lance

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ok I have a quick question then on my truck. I have the 4.7 '07 DC. It clearly stated on the window sticker that the truck had the tow package rated to tow 8k pounds with the transmission temp guage and coolor package or something like that. No where does it day it is the sports package. I dont have the tow/haul button anywhere, at least I cant find it. Any clues?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 4.7s do not have the tow/haul mode for the transmission. I also have a 4.7 in a Reg Cab though, and it's rated for 8,900 per window sticker, with 4.10 gears in the rear.

·
Registered
164 Posts
if you have the 5.7, you have the tow package
unless they remove it with the sport package. my 5.7 tundra doesn't have the tow package because of the sport. i think it came out of the factory 06/07 from san antonio with the tow package deleted. but it's not much of a problem for me since i don't tow anything. mostly i just toss things in the grand canyon i call the truck bed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts