Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 DC SR5 with Tow Package and Cold Weather Package.

The tow package included the hitch, 7-pin connector and transmission fluid temp gauge on the dash, but i don't have the transmission cooler that i thought was supposed to come with the package? (from what I've read on here it's located in front of the radiator on the passenger side)

Am I losing my mind, or did they accidentally leave this off? Is it something the dealer may have taken off thinking i wouldn't have noticed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
i don't know about 2010 but 2008 absolutely has it. that the picture of your truck in your sig? where are the monster tow mirrors? or am i just looking at it wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
TOW PACKAGE [6] -- includes tow hitch receiver, trailer brake controller prewire, 4.300 rear axle ratio (4.100 on 4.6L V8), TOW/HAUL mode switch, transmission fluid temperature gauge, supplemental transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 7-pin connector, heavy-duty alternator and battery

Should be there. It's a lot smaller than the engine radiator. Take a pic and post it. Then we can tell for sure.

Here's a pic of one (it's the little one on the left):

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TOW PACKAGE [6] -- includes tow hitch receiver, trailer brake controller prewire, 4.300 rear axle ratio (4.100 on 4.6L V8), TOW/HAUL mode switch, transmission fluid temperature gauge, supplemental transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 7-pin connector, heavy-duty alternator and battery

Should be there. It's a lot smaller than the engine radiator. Take a pic and post it. Then we can tell for sure.

Here's a pic of one (it's the little one on the left):

Tom
Yup, def. don't have it. Was looking for it this afternoon cause i was bored, and it's totally not there. I DEFINITELY am supposed to have the tow package. It was printed on the window sticker, i have the tow/haul button, tranny temp gauge on the dash, hitch, 7 pin connector, etc.

Did they move the location for the 2010's? Is the cooler located somewhere else on the 4.6L's? Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If looked at my 2010 Tundra with the tow package right, the way I see it there are three radiators/coolers. The main radiator is behind a thin radiator that I believe is the either the trany or the oil cooler. So it looks like one unit. Then there is also a small tube with fins type cooler lower down. I have not took the time yet to see which is cooling which ,but now you have my curiosity up so I will trace them out soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If looked at my 2010 Tundra with the tow package right, the way I see it there are three radiators/coolers. The main radiator is behind a thin radiator that I believe is the either the trany or the oil cooler. So it looks like one unit. Then there is also a small tube with fins type cooler lower down. I have not took the time yet to see which is cooling which ,but now you have my curiosity up so I will trace them out soon.
Sweet. Let me know what you find. Another owner on TudraTalk.net is having the same issue...

I wonder if they changed the design on the newer 2010's? Mine was manufactured in late Feb of '10.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2010 DC sr5 with a tow package and I have the cooler right in front of the radiator.If I was smart enough to post pics of it I would.

Webby

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an 2010 5.7 4x4 DC. I have a cooler in front of the radiator. Maybe a 4.6 is different.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 Crew Max 5.7 and it wasn't at the normal location either. I looked down towards the bumper and see a long finned cooler horizontal to the bumper. I think that is it but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 Crew Max 5.7 and it wasn't at the normal location either. I looked down towards the bumper and see a long finned cooler horizontal to the bumper. I think that is it but not 100% sure.
That should be the power steering cooler.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ok from looking at Tundratalk on the 2010 the large black thin radiator over the main rad is both the transcooler(top portion) and the ac cooler. This is what my truck has, they just consolidated both of them into one piece.

From another poster.

Traced the tubing... The two black tubes on the left run down and back to the transmission (shown below). The silver on the right (not seen in pic below) appears to run to the A/C.

We need the same pic from a 2010 that does not have the Tow Package.

The power steering does have a 'cooler' behind the bumper, but it is really just heat fins on the 'U' shaped pipe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can actually see in that picture spacing between the cooling fins for the top portion is different. More spacing for the transmission cooler at the top and less space between the fins for the A/C, my 2010 DC 5.7 with tow package looks exactly like the one pictured. They must have made the change early this year on the builds since some 2010s have the old setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a 2010 DC SR5 and mine has the Cooler in the front like the pics but I did look at a 2010 DC base grade it had the bench as opposed to the buckets but when I opened the hood the cooler was not there like mine, tehre was a plastic flap on an angle the had ATC molded in it so I assume it was directing air in to where the tranny cooler is

·
Registered
136 Posts
The oil to air transmission cooler was integrated into the top portion of the radiator on all (read 4.6 and 5.7) tow package tundras as part of a production change for the 5.7 and as part of the regular design on all 4.6's. You can check the design on TIS for $15 bucks like I did after not being able to have a decent well informed discussion with toyota customer service regarding this. I can say I was skeptical of the new design at first but after towing 3000 miles through the rockies up 12% grades in hot weather and never having the engine or trans temps move from normal, I am convinced this design is as good or better than the old one. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The oil to air transmission cooler was integrated into the top portion of the radiator on all (read 4.6 and 5.7) tow package tundras as part of a production change for the 5.7 and as part of the regular design on all 4.6's. You can check the design on TIS for $15 bucks like I did after not being able to have a decent well informed discussion with toyota customer service regarding this. I can say I was skeptical of the new design at first but after towing 3000 miles through the rockies up 12% grades in hot weather and never having the engine or trans temps move from normal, I am convinced this design is as good or better than the old one. Enjoy!
Thanks for confirming this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts