Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Access Cab with the 4 cyl. so do not have trailer hitch, I know I could add a reese or hidden hitch but really just want to add an effective tow point in the rear. There are tow hooks in the front but is there anywhere in the rear to effectively hook up a tow rope if need be? I ask because I do a lot of offroading on the beach and coming from a 4Runner which I had front and rear tow points I would feel better with the same on the Tacoma. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
47 Posts
You could just sink a ball through your bumper hitch and wrap a strap around that couldn't you? Should be strong enough to support the weight of a truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You could just sink a ball through your bumper hitch and wrap a strap around that couldn't you? Should be strong enough to support the weight of a truck.
No, it isn't. The bumper is only rated for 3500lbs and hitch balls aren't designed for recovery stresses where 10,000lbs is recommended as a minimum.

Also, if the ball lets go it can become a cannon ball and kill someone in the process.

User leaf spring rear bracket.
Will work in an emergency, but not the best option out there...

Anyway, go buy one of those common 10,000lbs recovery hooks that you can buy at most automotive stores, drill a couple of holes through the frame and bolt it in place.

Or, go to a wrecking yard and pull the front hooks off an old Ford or Chevy truck to reuse on the rear of yours.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
There are pre-drilled holes for hitch on the frame already.

Problem is. They are too high up. Any use of tow strap may cause damage to the bumper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts