Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I am a new member and a new owner of an 07 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Standard bed, with the 6 Speed Trans, TRD and Tow Package.

We have been reviewing the truck's capabilities and have arrived at the following:

The 07 has a GVWR of 7100lbs, Hitch weight Rating of 1030 lbs, Payload Capacity of 1580 lbs, Curb Weight, (CW), of 5520# and a Tow Capacity of 10,300 for the 4x4.

It looks like the general formula for obtaining the "how much can we tow" figure is, the GCVWR - GVWR = GTWR, ("Allowable" Gross Trailer Weight Rating).

In our case, 16,000# - 7100# = 8900# Max GTWR.

Any decrease in the Gross Vehicle Weight, (GVW), would yield a proportional increase in the GTW, (Gross Trailer Weight), towing capability.

It looks like the 10,300 Towing Capacity, (TC) of our truck is the GCVWR, of 16000#, minus the Curb Weight, (CW), of 5520# minus the Pay Load, (PL), with an 180# driver = 10,300#.

The Curb Weight, (CW), of 5520# + a 9000# Gross Trailer Weight, (GTW), (including the Tongue Weight, TW), = 14,520#, leaving 1480# for the possible increase in Payload, (People, Options, & Cargo).

I hope these figures are correct.

It would seem that towing an 8500#(GTW) TT with a Hensley or Equalizer hitch should yeild a pleasant experience, (we hope).

Any input would be very welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave Jones

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have always been a fan of the forum RV.net. They have entire sections of that site dedicated to TV or Tow Vehicles. At the moment, you will notice that most guys over there don't really care for anything other than dually diesel F350 type of tow vehicles for anything bigger than a lawn & garden trailer, but I think the New Tundra will turn a few heads and change a few minds.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Dave, I hope you post your experiences with that setup.

What Beez says is true, because it's a 1/2ton most of the RVer sites that I checked out won't give it the time of day. Most are diehard 3/4 and 1 ton fans. We want to get an Airstream eventually. Maybe when we get everything paid off, we can swing the payments. The AS that we want weighs in at 7700lbs with a tongue weight of 850lbs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Jayco 232 TT which comes in at roughly 5100 pounds, 6 people in the truck at 1000 pounds and the bed loaded with wood and other misc crap and my 5.7 DC pulls it without feeling a thing. I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and the equalizer hitch which I think is the best setup I've ever had. A buddy of mine pulls a 31 TT with his and says the same thing...I agree with you on RV.net but the die hards sure love to look at my DC when I pull into the RV park and can get into slots they only dream of. Trailerlife.com has an exceptional forum with lots of info and the guys are more open minded and extremely helpful...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an Airstream (25'Safari FB) that tows beautifully behind my 07 DC 2WD. I use an Equalizer hitch. Mileage runs about 10-11 towing, 15 around town. The trailer weighs around 7,000 lbs. loaded, with about 900 lbs on the tongue. I inflate the 20" tires to 44psi in the rear and 38 psi in the front when towing and fully loaded. The door sticker says 33 rear, 30 front. I realize that the tongue weight combined with the vehicle contents puts the Tundra close to, or over the max GVW, but it sure doesn't feel like it. There was a comment in Edmunds (I think) that Toyota built a 3/4 ton truck and honed it for 1/2 ton use. When Toyota puts out a 3/4 ton version I'll bet the only difference will be another leaf in the rear springs--and a new badge on the door.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a 23' toy hauler, it ways about 6800lbs empty, it'll be close to 9000 lbs when fully loaded. Last night I installed my prodigy brake controller and decided to take the trailer for a spin arround the block so I could set the brake controller. I'm coming from a 2001 dodge 1/2 ton (way under powered). Anyways I use a equalizer on it, and I have to say the tundra does an excellent job. Right now the hitch on my truck is a bit low, I'll raise it tonight. I'm not expecting to get killer gas milage while towing my camper, but I should be able to cruize down the road now. My poor dodge with the 5 speed manual would hardly keep it at 55. I've got a butte by my house, which always challenged my dodge pulling the camper, not the tundra. The tundra easily pulled the hill.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
You people crack me up!

Just because your 5,200lb pickup says it can tow 10,300lbs does not mean it can do so when you include your payload. The reason people tow with a 3/4 ton is because it is better suited to tow a 10,300lb load than any 1/2 ton. Think about it! My 3/4 ton Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins weighs 7,200lbs versus the 5,200lb of the Tundra. Which truck do you think will get pushed around more? My payload is 2,500lbs versus the comparable Tundra's 1,500lbs. Which one do you think will squat more and safely tow the heavy load?

Stop comparing the 1/2 ton Tundra to the 3/4 tons. You all crack me up. The Tundra goes from 7k lb towing to 10lb towing and now you're comparing it to the 3/4 ton. Yes, the Tundra could probably compare to a 3/4 ton that's over 10 years old, but the 3/4 tons today are the 1 tons of yesterday. My 3/4 ton can tow almost 14,000lbs and haul over 2,500lbs and weighs over 7,200lbs. All the big three and Nissan 3/4 tons can tow in the 10k range.

OH... one more thing! My Cummins gets 15mpg when towing a 6k lb load and 20mpg empty. You can't get that kind of mileage with a gasser not even the v6 Tacoma!

I love the new Tundra and have great respect for the new rig, but it aint no 3/4 ton. :D

AS that we want weighs in at 7700lbs with a tongue weight of 850lbs.
so you only have 650lb left for passengers and gear, with a 3/4 ton you would have 1,650lbs.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If the new 07 Tundra is really a 3/4 ton why does the F150 and Silverado have more payload capacity?

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is always somebody who gets 15MPG towing 10K!! A guy I work with and respect for his honesty says his cummins only gets 17 to 18 with no load!!
RV.net - If you listen to those guys, everyone needs a dually, 1 ton or MORE to tow anything over 5K.
Another friend couldn't wait to shed his Dodge - brake problems and no dealer/mft help!!!
I think the verdict is still out on how well this new Tundra tows. I'll talk to drivers when I begin to see them parked at Walmart with their TTs and Fivers in tow!!!! I've seen many 00 to 06 Tundras towing TTs and Fivers in the 5 to 8K range!
For me personally, I will not challenge my Tundra towing as the largest TT I'm considering would only be 24 foot max.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If the new 07 Tundra is really a 3/4 ton why does the F150 and Silverado have more payload capacity?
Very interesting question. Could you quantify that? I'd love to get some irrefutable comparable specification data to show it as so. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have to compare specific configurations, but I think he's right in some cases, based on manufacturer's published specs. Examples:

Std cab / Std bed
Tundra 4x4 5.7 - 1625lbs.
Silverado 1500 6.0 4x4 - 1713lbs.
F-150 4x4 5.4 - 1720lbs.

Std cab / Long Bed
Silverado 1500 4x4 6.0 - 1850lbs.
Tundra 4x4 5.7 - 2065lbs. (max payload pkg)
F-150 4x4 5.4 - 2710lbs. (max payload pkg)

Crew Cab / Short Bed
Tundra 4x4 5.7 - 1515lbs
F-150 4x4 5.4 - 1630lbs.
Silverado 1500 6.0 4x4 - 2010lbs

All numbers taken from the manufacturer's websites:
Toyota Tundra - Truck Specs: Auto and Engine Specifications
(Click specifications, select config, click capacities)

Specifications: Silverado: Trucks: Chevrolet
(click specs / capacities)

Ford Vehicles: Get Specifications for trucks, like the Ford F-150 pickup, here
(click payload package selector)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an Airstream (25'Safari FB) that tows beautifully behind my 07 DC 2WD. I use an Equalizer hitch. Mileage runs about 10-11 towing, 15 around town. The trailer weighs around 7,000 lbs. loaded, with about 900 lbs on the tongue. I inflate the 20" tires to 44psi in the rear and 38 psi in the front when towing and fully loaded. The door sticker says 33 rear, 30 front. I realize that the tongue weight combined with the vehicle contents puts the Tundra close to, or over the max GVW, but it sure doesn't feel like it. There was a comment in Edmunds (I think) that Toyota built a 3/4 ton truck and honed it for 1/2 ton use. When Toyota puts out a 3/4 ton version I'll bet the only difference will be another leaf in the rear springs--and a new badge on the door.
That's good to hear, because I currently have a '07 Tundra DC Ltd. w/ a Prodigy brake contoller currently towing a '07 19' Airstream Bambi and I'm considering moving up to a 25' AS. Much of the feedback I've gotten has been that I'll be a stretch with my new Tundra. In fact some have flat-out told me not to do it. I refuse to believe that.

Although I haven't checked it on a scale yet, but I can't imagine the extra weight added by bodies, dogs and camping stuff will weigh that much, as we travel fairly lite.

I would be interested to hear any feedback you might have, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I found this on the Airstream board. Sounds like a 25' is OK, but I'm wanting to get a 28'. As usual, people over there are saying that you NEED a 3/4 ton diesel for a 28' even though the 25' and 28' weigh the same (the 28' has higher tongue weight though). I don't plan long distance trips with the Airstream because I have limited vacation time. I'd probably take the teardrop so that I can go at highway speeds (70-80mph).

Copied from the Airstream board said:
Hi all--thought I'd make an introductory post and weigh in on the new Tundra at the same time. I picked up a new 5.7 6sp Dual Cab 2 WD about a month ago, and have been driving it for work in addition to having towed our 25' Safari FB about 800 miles. This is my third Toyota--I had a 2000 Tundra prior to this--and worked it hard in my contracting business for 100k miles. The only problems with the truck were warped rotors and a bad starter solenoid--and poor gas milage (13-14 MPG) But I haul dump trailers all the time that can weigh up to 7-8k (no weight distribution or sway control) and the truck never broke. We live in hilly country with really bad roads, and the truck was burdened with tool boxes and a lumber rack. Had a couple of Chevys in the past with a fair amount of problems, although I think GM has made huge gains in the reliability department. But the decision to buy the new Toyota was based less on reliability than on some other factors that were important to me, though I did look at the new Silverado and the Fords in the process. I was mainly looking for something that would comfortably tow our trailer and still be tolerable as a daily driver and a work truck. This ruled out the 3/4 tons and the diesels, though if our trailer were much bigger I might be forced to go there. The Tundra works very well as a tow vehicle for the Safari. Very steady at all speeds and a lot of power in the hills. The engine is remarkable--the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove, while still making 10-12 MPG towing and 16 MPG around town. The 6 speed transmission is always in the right gear, and the first gear is like a granny for pulling the 22% grade to our house.

The truck is very solid and rattle-free, and the interior seems contemporary without being too car-like. The interior of my truck is grey, which seems to integrate better with the other materials. The back-up camera makes off angle hook-ups a breeze, and once you have blue tooth for your cell phone you'll never go back to one-handed driving. It doesn't ride as smoothly as the previous Tundra, but about 500 pounds of equipment in the bed makes a big difference. So far I am very happy with the truck, but I have to admit those new Silverados and GMC's look pretty nice.

Also had a positive review from my wife (janetb) who towed our trailer to the Western Women's Rally last weekend. This was her first ever solo (about 500 miles round trip) and she felt very confident with the whole set up.

Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts