Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any real world experience towing 6,000+ lbs. with the new Tundra? I know that they say it can pull 10,500, but I want real world experience.

I am in the market for a new truck that is easy to drive everyday yet be able to tow 6-8 times a year on 6+ hour trips, sometimes in the mountains of NC, TN, WV. The tow load will be a trailer (~2000 lbs.) and my lifted jeep (~4500 lbs).

I am fairly sure that I will be happy driving the Tundra everyday. However, will I be happy with its towing capabilities? I am seriously considering the F-250 SuperDuty because I know it will be able to tow my 'toy' with ease.

What mpg is everyone experiencing while towing?

Also, pics of your Tundra pulling heavy loads would be great!

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
919 Posts
Does anybody have any real world experience towing 6,000+ lbs. with the new Tundra? I know that they say it can pull 10,500, but I want real world experience.

I am in the market for a new truck that is easy to drive everyday yet be able to tow 6-8 times a year on 6+ hour trips, sometimes in the mountains of NC, TN, WV. The tow load will be a trailer (~2000 lbs.) and my lifted jeep (~4500 lbs).

I am fairly sure that I will be happy driving the Tundra everyday. However, will I be happy with its towing capabilities? I am seriously considering the F-250 SuperDuty because I know it will be able to tow my 'toy' with ease.

Thanks,
Scott
I tow an 18' toyhauler w/ rhino in it & dirtbike in the back of my truck, no prob. As long as you have proper towing set up, weight dist hitch, sway control, and this is being pulled w/ 05 tundra d-cab 4x, so 07 is no prob at all.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I can garentee you that you will have no problem pulling that amount of weight, I pull more with my 06. it's stopping in a hurry you need to be asking about, as far as I know the new tundras have awsome stopping power.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Thanks,
Scott
I have used my 07 to tow my 4runner that I have estimated to weigh in at right arround 4500 lbs and a trailer that weighs 2500 lbs. I could not tell it was behind the truck at all, I had no problems accelerating to the speed of traffic, or stopping the truck either (do not have electric brakes on the trailer either, but comming on a new trailer when I uprade to an 18ft). So if you want one and dont want to smell diesel or pay for the cost of diesel go for it!:tu:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live in Tennessee and pull a 6,000 + lb box trailer. It is hooked to the truck as we speak. I have not pulled a full tank of fuel through it but it would appear around 12 ish. The truck pulls the load with no problem :tu: . I am coming out of 3/4 ton diesel trucks and this truck pulls the load as good if not better.
Hope This helps.

Tom

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
There's a lot of info in the towing section here at ts.

But, hell i pulled a 6500 lb fifth wheel with my 02 access cab no problem. Other than wanted more power & more gears.

No fear now, my 5.7 is here!

In the towing section here if you find it has some info on a guy that pulled 6500 lbs up a long grade with the tundra. Anyway, he kept the speed limit all the way up it but yet none of the oil burners were able to top 45mph.
Impressive!

From what i have read in this forum, i will be very pleased.

Oh, all the threads i have read say that they are getting about 12 mpg towing 6500 lbs plus.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In the towing section here if you find it has some info on a guy that pulled 6500 lbs up a long grade with the tundra. Anyway, he kept the speed limit all the way up it but yet none of the oil burners were able to top 45mph.
Impressive!
Let's not get carried away here with the fantasy land chest pounding. I've got a 5.9 Cummins sitting out in the driveway that I'd be more than happy to have a pull off with a V8 Tundra. 6,000 lbs or 16,000lbs on any grade you'd like.;)

The Tundra is a very strong 1/2 ton, but I would not put it above a diesel in the towing dept.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let's not get carried away here with the fantasy land chest pounding here. I've got a 5.9 Cummins sitting out in the driveway that I'd be more than happy to have a pull off with a V8 Tundra. 6,000 lbs or 16,000lbs on any grade you'd like.;)

The Tundra is a very strong 1/2 ton, but I would not put it above a diesel in the towing dept.
Agreed, unless it was a 6.0 powerstruggle, then im sure the powersuck would be broken down before you got the chance

·
Registered
595 Posts
Oh, all the threads i have read say that they are getting about 12 mpg towing 6500 lbs plus.
Then someone is exaggerating. My 5.7 4x4 DC TRD gets no where near that. Empty, flat road, cruise set at 70 and the instant mileage reads between 14ish and 15ish, never 16 or higher. My first tank (95% highway), less than half pulling my 7x7x16 enclosed motorcycle trailer netted me a whopping 10.38 MPG (calculations by hand). Again, less than half of that was pulling a trailer that weighs 3860 pounds on the scales. If I can suddenly get over 12 MPG pulling a trailer that is a 25% increase in efficiency! We'll see about that. These aren't diesels that need 30K to break in either. There may be a slight increase as parts wear in but nothing drastic like a diesel.

I'm going to be extremely attentive at my next fillup to see what things are shapping up to be. Right now the jury is still out on my truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let's not get carried away here with the fantasy land chest pounding. I've got a 5.9 Cummins sitting out in the driveway that I'd be more than happy to have a pull off with a V8 Tundra. 6,000 lbs or 16,000lbs on any grade you'd like.;)

I agree

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agreed, unless it was a 6.0 powerstruggle, then im sure the powersuck would be broken down before you got the chance
I call BS on that.

My F350, 6.0L, CC, 4x4, LB, is a pulling beast, going down the road, loaded and pulling my travel trailer I weigh over 19,000 lbs (19,460 to be exact) and it pulls 6% or 7% grades with ease.

Im not putting down the new Tundra, but it is not going to do what a diesel will, and that is a fact.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I call BS on that.

My F350, 6.0L, CC, 4x4, LB, is a pulling beast, going down the road, loaded and pulling my travel trailer I weigh over 19,000 lbs (19,460 to be exact) and it pulls 6% or 7% grades with ease.

Im not putting down the new Tundra, but it is not going to do what a diesel will, and that is a fact.
k...lemme know in 100k miles if it doesnt break down on you

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Too bad all them noisy,stinky damn oil burners have to hind behind that turbo charger!

Without that, you oil burner lovers would be SOL. So, no need to compare the two.

P.S. I was just pointing out a thread here that i read on the tundra's pulling performance. I was just passing it on to the new 07 tundra owners.

I appreciate your oil burner input though, Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts

I have had a 03 Cummins 6 speed and an 05 Duramax, not to mention two 7.3 fords. I can say my Tundra with 6,000 behind it will get to speed faster and have no trouble maintaining that speed on any grade I have been on . Now with 16,000 the Diesel will win hands down cause I am not going to put that behind my Tundra. The Tundra is a strong truck we are withing 50 ft/lb's of the Ford v-10. People are using those to pull anything the diesel boys are pulling. Now they also have stronger springs/ e-load range tires/ and 8 lug wheels just to name a few safety features.

The Tundra is good for what is was designed for, and that is all I need at this time, but it is not designed to have 15,000+ lb's behind it and I have no plans of doing that to it. If I need those capacities again I will go back to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Too bad all them noisy,stinky damn oil burners have to hind behind that turbo charger!

Without that, you oil burner lovers would be SOL. So, no need to compare the two.

P.S. I was just pointing out a thread here that i read on the tundra's pulling performance. I was just passing it on to the new 07 tundra owners.

I appreciate your oil burner input though, Thanks
No need to hate or be jealous. Why don't you remove 2 cylinders and I'll take off my turbo and we'll be even. There's no point in trying to degrade a diesel because if you need to pull then a diesel is the way to go. You just don't see many OTR trucks with gas engines.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a 03 Cummins 6 speed and an 05 Duramax, not to mention two 7.3 fords. I can say my Tundra with 6,000 behind it will get to speed faster and have no trouble maintaining that speed on any grade I have been on . Now with 16,000 the Diesel will win hands down cause I am not going to put that behind my Tundra. The Tundra is a strong truck we are withing 50 ft/lb's of the Ford v-10. People are using those to pull anything the diesel boys are pulling. Now they also have stronger springs/ e-load range tires/ and 8 lug wheels just to name a few safety features.

The Tundra is good for what is was designed for, and that is all I need at this time, but it is not designed to have 15,000+ lb's behind it and I have no plans of doing that to it. If I need those capacities again I will go back to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Exactly, comparing a Diesel 3/4 or 1ton to the Trudra in apples and oranages. They are not ment to do the same job.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why do all towing posts have to turn into a competition between gassers and diesels???

I have no problems with Diesels, but would never own one myself. They make me nauseous listening to the engine (except the quiet Duramax), and it's always fun watching my friends trying to find a gas station that has Diesel. Personally, it's too much trouble for me.

For me, I'll take the Tundra any day if I'm pulling 6,000 lbs. Any more than 8,000 lbs...and I'll be happy to own a diesel. We know a 1 ton diesel will tow more, so why do we have to keep bringing this up?????

·
Registered
595 Posts
When Yota builds/sells their "stinky damn oil burner" it will have a turbo too. Fact! The diesels need the turbocharger to meet emmisions. If they didn't none of the manufactures would be "giving' it to us.

If our 5.7s came only supercharged would you have the same opinion? I doubt it. You would probably be bragging on how technologically advanced Toyota is and how everyone else was lagging behind.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why do all towing posts have to turn into a competition between gassers and diesels???

It's painfully obvious that some here know abosolutely nothing about diesels other than what they read from people who also know nothing and then pass these rumors on as fact. It seems the gasser guys are the ones wanting to make the comparisons. We all know that the Tundra is a great truck but some guys here need to be brought back to reality when they start talking about just how great it is.

If there are guys out there reading some of this BS that are about to make a decision on a truck that meets their needs and they come to this board, they could end up going to the dealership thinking they are getting a truck that will tow a house and get 20 mpg based on what some people claim here. There needs to be a voice of reason at times.:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts