Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from WI to CA and trying to decide how to take my Jeep with me. I have a 2006 Taco family model, with add-a-leafs on the back, King gas shocks all around. I'm averse to flat towing that far. Rent a dolly? Full Trailer? Thoughts?

·
Registered
842 Posts
why not? also those car trailers are freakin heavy....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have been more clear. All I need to move is my Tacoma and my jeep. So...I rent a truck and tow it I still have to get my Tacoma out there. I'm leaning towards a dolly. I plan to disconnect the rear drive shaft and that whole bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
you didn't mention if the tacoma has the factory towing option?
stick or auto?
and with the weight ( don't know what the weighs) and think you have a few hills on the way? ( rockies and sierra's) might be fun to stop

might want to talk to "u-haul" and see if they will rent to you? either trailer or dolly. you might have a beefed up rear suspension but the tacoma is not a heavy weight truck, and sure don't need the cj wagging the tacoma

just a few thoughts, not a expert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - all things I've considered. My Tacoma has the factory tow option and it's an auto. The Jeep weighs ~3500-4000 #'s and I'll be carrying ~1000 #'s of gear in the truck bed.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I am far from an expert on towing, but I think you will be fine towing the Jeep all 4 down and all your gear in your Tacoma. Alot of RV'er's buy 4x4 Jeeps because of the ease of towing them with all 4 down. You will most likely be at your capacity. But take it easy and you should be ok.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I am far from an expert on towing, but I think you will be fine towing the Jeep all 4 down and all your gear in your Tacoma. Alot of RV'er's buy 4x4 Jeeps because of the ease of towing them with all 4 down. You will most likely be at your capacity. But take it easy and you should be ok.
But you’re willing to give advice. Leaving all four on the ground will not work. Well it will work until you attempt to stop. You need the help of trailer brakes. 1000 lbs and tongue weight will also be an issue. Have you looked into having the jeep shipped?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would flat tow before using a dolly if flat towing is an option. If you don't want to use a tow bar then a dolly is a good option. However, IMO the best option would be to rent a trailer from Uhaul or similar and tow it that way. The trailer will weigh ~1800-2000 lbs and the Tacoma is rated to tow 6500# and from experience I can tell you that it will tow it well, especially since you have upgraded the springs. The motor is strong and the stability is great with that kind of a load. The trailer will give you the advantage of reduced wear on the CJ (tires, bearings, etc.) and will give you brakes. Also, if you really will have 1000#'s of gear in the bed you may want to consider transferring some of it to the jeep/trailer. You should have ~600-800 lbs of tongue weight and 1600-1800 lbs on the taco-while fine for a short distance-will probably not be the best route to take cross country. I have over 20,000 miles towing 4000-5000 lbs behind my Tacoma here in the Rockies and can tell you with confidence that the taco will do great. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would flat tow before using a dolly if flat towing is an option. If you don't want to use a tow bar then a dolly is a good option. However, IMO the best option would be to rent a trailer from Uhaul or similar and tow it that way. The trailer will weigh ~1800-2000 lbs and the Tacoma is rated to tow 6500# and from experience I can tell you that it will tow it well, especially since you have upgraded the springs. The motor is strong and the stability is great with that kind of a load. The trailer will give you the advantage of reduced wear on the CJ (tires, bearings, etc.) and will give you brakes. Also, if you really will have 1000#'s of gear in the bed you may want to consider transferring some of it to the jeep/trailer. You should have ~600-800 lbs of tongue weight and 1600-1800 lbs on the taco-while fine for a short distance-will probably not be the best route to take cross country. I have over 20,000 miles towing 4000-5000 lbs behind my Tacoma here in the Rockies and can tell you with confidence that the taco will do great. :)
Thanks a lot for the reply - I was hoping for somebody familiar w/ towing in the Mts. I was thinking Trailer, but (1800-2000# trailer) + (3500-4000#'s of jeep) + (~500#'s f gear) puts me at or near the limit. That's why I was thinking Dolly. Oh well, I have another month to decide. I'll let you know how it goes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts