Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to tow 2 horses from the Dallas Area to Colorado Springs. The combined weight of the two horses is 2600 pounds.

We have a 2002 Tundra with the TRD package. It is an 8 cylinder and the engine is 4.7 liters. The GVWR rating is 6200 lbs. We have a Gooseneck Trailer Hitch.

Doing the arithmetic does this mean we can tow a 3600 pound trailer plus the horses,if we don't add any other weight into the trailer?

I have noted on other forums that you should be sure you have brakes on the trailer and that you should add air bags. Is this necessary?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
We need to tow 2 horses from the Dallas Area to Colorado Springs. The combined weight of the two horses is 2600 pounds.

We have a 2002 Tundra with the TRD package. It is an 8 cylinder and the engine is 4.7 liters. The GVWR rating is 6200 lbs. We have a Gooseneck Trailer Hitch.

Doing the arithmetic does this mean we can tow a 3600 pound trailer plus the horses,if we don't add any other weight into the trailer?

I have noted on other forums that you should be sure you have brakes on the trailer and that you should add air bags. Is this necessary?
The 2600 lbs in horses shouldn't be a problem depending on how much the trailer weighs. For you to safely pull it that far, the trailer should not weigh any more than 4000 lbs. Putting the total at 6600. The pin weight shouldn't be more than 1000 lbs or so.
No, the GVWR = truck weight plus all cargo. So if your truck weighs 4500 lbs, your total cargo weight (including trailer pin), cannot equal 6200lbs total.
Your tow capacity is 7100 i beleive with your truck. My 02 AC tow cap. was.
I towed a trailswest 4 horse with 1 horse in it with my 02, and it did fine & i wouldn't have hesitated towing that distance with that much weight.
Try not to go over the GAWR on the truck. This can be found in the camper section of the owner's manual. If you are under GAWR but slightly over GVWR, Then i'd say go for it & don't worry about it. Providing the maintenance has been kept up with dilegently.

I don't beleive airbags is a necesity ( depending on pin weight), but trailer brakes with a good controller is a MUST HAVE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are considering a 4-Star 2 horse goose neck trailer. It weighs 4900 lbs.

If the horses = 2600 and the trailer weighs 4900 the total weight is 7500 lbs.

The owners manual shows we can pull 7200 lbs with a 2uz -fe engine.

But we have been told that by using a goose neck you gain a 20 % advantage over a bumper pull (perhaps because some weight is distributed over the axles of the truck), which in effect lowers the total pulled weight to 6000.

Does that sound right to you?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
We are considering a 4-Star 2 horse goose neck trailer. It weighs 4900 lbs.

If the horses = 2600 and the trailer weighs 4900 the total weight is 7500 lbs.

The owners manual shows we can pull 7200 lbs with a 2uz -fe engine.

But we have been told that by using a goose neck you gain a 20 % advantage over a bumper pull (perhaps because some weight is distributed over the axles of the truck), which in effect lowers the total pulled weight to 6000.

Does that sound right to you?
PM sent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only toyota for me:

I would love to hear the answer to t his question.
I am a first time toyota owner. I bought my truck last month!! Anyways, I am getting ready to pull my two horses with my 2005 tundra 4x4 4.7 SR5! I bought a break controller and we are getting ready to installed it tonight. The trailer weights 3400bl and each horse apprx. 1200. Now if we add tack, hay, passengers, dog etc... I would say...uhm, 700 lbs. Do you guys think is safe???? I used to pull with a chevy 1500 with a 2500 engine, so... this is a new experience!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Only toyota for me:

I would love to hear the answer to t his question.
I am a first time toyota owner. I bought my truck last month!! Anyways, I am getting ready to pull my two horses with my 2005 tundra 4x4 4.7 SR5! I bought a break controller and we are getting ready to installed it tonight. The trailer weights 3400bl and each horse apprx. 1200. Now if we add tack, hay, passengers, dog etc... I would say...uhm, 700 lbs. Do you guys think is safe???? I used to pull with a chevy 1500 with a 2500 engine, so... this is a new experience!
He's a little on the heavy side for the 1st gen tundra, but it will do it okay.

Does your truck have the tow package with the cooler and hitch?

What brake controller did you get? Just make double sure it works properly and you set it up properly first.

The weight you are describing with your trailer is about where our old 2-horse Trails West trailer weighed, and it towed great. We towed it with our 02 tundra which had the 4-speed auto, and i beleive you have the 5-speed? This should help you, as we always needed more power and gearing.
I think you'll be just fine with that setup. Just be sure to leave the OD off, and check the truck out thoroughly before you go. Also air up the tires to max cold psi, on truck and trailer. And drive carefully, making sure not to tailgate anyone or go faster than you're comfortable with.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how the tundy does vs. your old GM.

·
Registered
513 Posts
we have a lot of discussions here about weather X truck can pull X trailer, and in most it seems it goes you have X motor and you are below your weights (or even a little over) so you are good to go. add you need X added to the truck. i think the biggest part of towing is the ability to stop, that is what trucks should be rated on for towing (it's not, and quite frankly there is no real slandered). what if the trailer brakes fail? will you be able to stop in a safe distance? (it is much easier than you think for the brakes to fail) i'm not questioning the ability of the truck to tow this load, it actually seems light. i just want people to be safe when towing and don't want to hear of some accident with a tundra towing. i think the brakes are huge on my 2nd gen and probably over kill for what it's rated to tow, not that i go over the specs much if ever. and i'm not trying to be the weight police, if i was there would be a lot of mad 1 ton people out there, lol (funny how they think they can go over " 'cus this is a 1 ton" ' )
i think the law is if your over 3000 pounds you have to have trailer brakes.

be safe and have fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the controller that we purchased: Tekonsha Prodigy Proportional Brake Controller with Toyota and Lexus Adapter, and I do believe my truck has the towing package, we have a pretty good hitch and I believe i does have the cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts