Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached below is an Acrobat file of a spreadsheet showing my mileage on a 1,400 mile towing trip I just completed. The first half of the trip was with the trailer loaded and the second half was trailer empty with 800lb of cargo added to the bed. Truck was driven in "Drive" with tow / haul on.

2007 Tundra 4x4 Longbed SR5 with 5.7L V8
2007 20' H&H Speedloader MX 10.5K axles
H&H Trailer Company - Our Cargo Trailers and Flatbed Trailers Are Perfect For Hauling Anything

Summary:

Overall average for whole trip: 11.49 mpg

Average trailer loaded at around 80mph: 10.12 mpg

Average trailer empty with 800lb cargo in bed at around 75mph: 12.53 mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Attached below is an Acrobat file of a spreadsheet showing my mileage on a 1,400 mile towing trip I just completed. The first half of the trip was with the trailer loaded and the second half was trailer empty with 800lb of cargo added to the bed. Truck was driven in "Drive" with tow / haul on.

2007 Tundra 4x4 Longbed SR5 with 5.7L V8

Summary:

Overall average for whole trip: 11.49 mpg

Average trailer loaded at around 80mph: 10.12 mpg

Average trailer empty with 800lb cargo in bed at around 75mph: 12.53 mpg

What kind of trailer are we talking, and how "loaded" was it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of trailer are we talking, and how "loaded" was it?
It's all on the spreadsheet. Click on the "attached files" at the bottom of the first post.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BTW, H&H makes some of the nicest trailers you'll find.

My Dragster enjoys riding in one and its so solid you could park a car on top of it...

It usually rides behind my RV but I'll hook it to the Tundra when I get a chance to see how it does...

·
Registered
27 Posts
JLILTD,

Thanks for posting the information. It is very interesting, and very helpful. When mine finally arrives, I'll know what to expect.:ts:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Thanks for the post... I guess I was hoping to see a little better mpg results than that - especially on the return trip with the trailer empty. I expected the 5.7L to just play with a 2,000Lb trailer.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the post... I guess I was hoping to see a little better mpg results than that - especially on the return trip with the trailer empty. I expected the 5.7L to just play with a 2,000Lb trailer.
I think a lot of the numbers have to do with my hot-rod brother doing most of the driving. He's got a chipped Powerstroke and really enjoys pushing the Tundra after it smoked his pickup in a few races. When he's in traffic he doesn't stop until he has to (i.e. at intersections, lights and left-hand laners). He also takes off like he's got to prove something to surrounding traffic. He can be an agressive driver and we go through a lot of brakes because of it.

There was quite a bit of city driving and "bar hopping" thrown into the numbers along with 2-lane roads with jam cars and increasing strong westerly winds on the way home. But in my estimation that only makes the results even more "real-world".

As an aside our cousin called my brother yesterday because he was going to drive a new '08 F-250 Powerstroke and considers my brother the go-to Powerstroke guy. My brother told him to go try the new Tundra first. Our cousin is a lawyer so doesn't really need a 3/4-ton anway. The cousin said he'd go to the Toyota dealer for a test drive straight away. I know there are reactions out there on TS about folks referring to "friends" and "cousins" as non-legitimate stories but I'd be happy to respond to any PM's with details when I find out what happens.

If you want to see another spreadsheet with un-loaded mileage results see the following TS post:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/87976-2007-5-7-fuel-mileage/#post607155

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's gas mileage is really good considering a dually gets about 7-8 miles to the gallon just towing its self around.:D

Put a tonnue cover on the bed and get 2 more miles to the gallon highway:)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think a lot of the numbers have to do with my hot-rod brother doing most of the driving. He's got a chipped Powerstroke and really enjoys pushing the Tundra after it smoked his pickup in a few races. When he's in traffic he doesn't stop until he has to (i.e. at intersections, lights and left-hand laners). He also takes off like he's got to prove something to surrounding traffic. He can be an agressive driver and we go through a lot of brakes because of it.

There was quite a bit of city driving and "bar hopping" thrown into the numbers along with 2-lane roads with jam cars and increasing strong westerly winds on the way home. But in my estimation that only makes the results even more "real-world".

As an aside our cousin called my brother yesterday because he was going to drive a new '08 F-250 Powerstroke and considers my brother the go-to Powerstroke guy. My brother told him to go try the new Tundra first. Our cousin is a lawyer so doesn't really need a 3/4-ton anway. The cousin said he'd go to the Toyota dealer for a test drive straight away. I know there are reactions out there on TS about folks referring to "friends" and "cousins" as non-legitimate stories but I'd be happy to respond to any PM's with details when I find out what happens.

If you want to see another spreadsheet with un-loaded mileage results see the following TS post:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/87976-2007-5-7-fuel-mileage/#post607155
How new is the stroker that got smoked? Is it a newer one?

That's pretty impressive though....oil burner....turbo.....more torque.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How new is the stroker that got smoked? Is it a newer one?
2005 F-250 Superduty 4x4 off-road long-bed extended cab XLT, with 6.0 Powerstroke and Edge Platinum Juice programmer with Attitude in-cab display controller. He set it to Level 5 "race" program. My wife was driving the Tundra (me in right seat) and both trucks had just left the same location together. The wife pulled up next to my brother at abou 30mph. He gunned it and she thought he was playing so stayed with him, then she floored we pulled right away from him. After we got home we still thought he was playing around with us until we talked to him later and he was giving it all it had in Level 5.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
2005 F-250 Superduty 4x4 off-road long-bed extended cab XLT, with 6.0 Powerstroke and Edge Platinum Juice programmer with Attitude in-cab display controller. He set it to Level 5 "race" program. My wife was driving the Tundra (me in right seat) and both trucks had just left the same location together. The wife pulled up next to my brother at abou 30mph. He gunned it and she thought he was playing so stayed with him, then she floored we pulled right away from him. After we got home we still thought he was playing around with us until we talked to him later and he was giving it all it had in Level 5.

SWEEEEEEEET!!!! And it was chipped.............even better!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts