Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone - I have an 08 Tundra with towing mirrors and managed to clip a telephone pole while backing up. The mirror swung right back into place, but the small mirror at the bottom of towing mirror cracked and no longer stays in position. I checked with my local dealer and they tell me that the only option is to replace the whole mirror, assemply and all. Part is $282.00 so I am looking for a cheaper option. Would be nice if I could just replace that one small mirror. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped there was something I was not finding in all my searches. Lesson learned I guess...watch for telephone poles! How easy is it to replace? I am not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined. Is it something I can do myself?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Call your local auto glass shop. I had a similar problem with my old Tacoma. The dealer wanted a lot of money, but I had just the actual mirror replaced for about
$10.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Call your local auto glass shop. I had a similar problem with my old Tacoma. The dealer wanted a lot of money, but I had just the actual mirror replaced for about
$10.
yeah try that but i think the little convex mirror on the tundra will be a problem. sometimes u can find some on ebay with the main glass or housing broken or something and u can get fairly cheap...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Received the replacement mirror via USPS. Inside were the replacement mirror and the adhesive pads (4) but no 'breakage guarantee' that was mentioned on the box (2 pics). I removed the existing mirror using a hammer to break of the mirror and flat blade screwdriver to scrap the pieces from the fairly large black foam/adhesive strip holding the mirror to the backing which leaves a lot of residue (pic). I scraped the adhesive best I could, then rubbed with Goof Off adhesive remover several times. I then scuffed up the plastic a bit with fine sandpaper (pic). I cleaned the plastic with rubbing alcohol and attached 2 of the adhesive pads (pic). Then cleaned the back of the mirror with Windex and carefully centered it and applied it to the adhesive pads (pic). The pads are very sticky, I don't think you could pull the mirror off and reposition once started. The whole process took about 10 minutes. It looks like a high quality part and worth the money compared to a whole mirror assembly replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Received the replacement mirror via USPS. Inside were the replacement mirror and the adhesive pads (4) but no 'breakage guarantee' that was mentioned on the box (2 pics). I removed the existing mirror using a hammer to break of the mirror and flat blade screwdriver to scrap the pieces from the fairly large black foam/adhesive strip holding the mirror to the backing which leaves a lot of residue (pic). I scraped the adhesive best I could, then rubbed with Goof Off adhesive remover several times. I then scuffed up the plastic a bit with fine sandpaper (pic). I cleaned the plastic with rubbing alcohol and attached 2 of the adhesive pads (pic). Then cleaned the back of the mirror with Windex and carefully centered it and applied it to the adhesive pads (pic). The pads are very sticky, I don't think you could pull the mirror off and reposition once started. The whole process took about 10 minutes. It looks like a high quality part and worth the money compared to a whole mirror assembly replacement.

By any chance if you or someone else here know where I can get the back plastic part that holds the small convex mirror? I'm looking for a LH (driver side) TIA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts