Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some reassurance after the fact. The after the fact part is I have an 'O7 4wd 5.7, and my husband just put super cool 22' Incubus Poltergeist rims and Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/50/22. $$$$$$ Gasp! We tow a Superlite Weekend Warrier 28'. About 4100 lbs. dry. We tow 2 quads, gear, water, gas. Its usually just us two and maybe 2 guests on occasion. He got on "new-tire-shopping-mania" in the first place because were going to Pismo in Sept. He said AT's would pull the trailer better in the sand. We only use this truck for vacations and very occasional around town Sunday driving. Am I going to risk a blow out while looking very cool?:confused:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
If the size you gave me is correct ( 285/50/22), then according to Nitto's web site, they are a 10 ply tire which is good. They are rated for 3200lbs per tire which is plenty of tire for you.

The low profile sidewall is definately not the tire of choice for towing. The reason is that you don't have much room between the pavement and the rim. Follow me?

I think you'll probably be fine with them, but they will probably wear out faster than a 65 or 75 series tire. You have a 50 series and they are normally found on sports cars for better handling.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
If the size you gave me is correct ( 285/50/22), then according to Nitto's web site, they are a 10 ply tire which is good. They are rated for 3200lbs per tire which is plenty of tire for you.

The low profile sidewall is definately not the tire of choice for towing. The reason is that you don't have much room between the pavement and the rim. Follow me?

I think you'll probably be fine with them, but they will probably wear out faster than a 65 or 75 series tire. You have a 50 series and they are normally found on sports cars for better handling.
I agree. Those tires will be fine its just that you have a little less sidewall so you'll feel the road a little more and take bumps a little harder but other than that you're fine. 4100lbs is not a huge load anyways.:nod:

·
Registered
961 Posts
What is the load rating on the wheel. 20"+ tend to be fair;y light, like under 2000lbs each.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used to have 24" rims wrapped on 295/30/R24 Toyo Proxes on my Range Rover. Towed my 5800lb boat no problem. I just inflated the rear tires to 50psi when I towed, up from 45psi normal.

You will have no problems with your setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts