Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed my 6x14 trailer with my Ranger on it this weekend. It towed great, my only question is the use of overdrive. In my Titan I had to keep it out of 5th gear so the the transmission did not heat up. I notice that the only way to do that on the Toyota is to do the manual shifting in which I would prefer not to do. Am I missing something or is this truck designed to tow in overdrive?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I tow my boat wich is 8500 pounds and I only use the shifting when hard breaking or to keep from breaking going down a big hill seems to work pretty good only towed a few times so not really tottally use to it yet. just hit that tow/haul switch and go on your way. keep an eye on the tranny temp and listen to the transmisson I never noticed it hunting for gears at all. you should b good to go without trying to keep it out of sixth gear.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just use the Tow/Haul function, put it in Drive and go. I have found that turning on the Cruise Control will cause the transmission to downshift quite a bit. If I turn the cruise off I have more control over that, plus my mileage seems to be better. I use the "S" mode for downshifting when going downhill.

If you are talking about the Polaris Ranger, the oil filter removal tool that fits the Ranger also fits the 5.7 oil filter cap.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
From what I've read (and it makes sense) is that when you are in sequential mode, you are still driving an automatic. When the dash says "4" that means that the truck will shift normally until it gets to 4, then it will not shift any higher.

If you have to, put it in "5" and leave it. It is not necessary to shift down from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, newbie from Houston, I am willing to buy a trailer for motorcycle towing service, anybody knows which trailer is best for towing a motorcycle, around 3,4 motorcycle at the time I have to tow, need reliable and durable which can run a long time. We are providing a service of 24-hour towing services in Houston so we need it for that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts