Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just picked up a skid steer/bobcat? It is a bobcat 873. My question is can i pull the load without compromising long term negative effects?

What modifications would you recommend to the truck that would assist in making the task easier on the truck if possible?

I have an 07 CM 5.7, I am also unsure of our truck towing capacity? is 10400lb unaccurate? If anybody could explain what the additional upgrades to the truck for towing and how they work.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Not sure what the weight is of your bobcat & trailer so its a tough call. The 10,400 is probably pretty close regarding the truck as long as it came with the towing package, if it doesn't have the factory towing it is a mite less. Depending on how much weight is going to be on the butt end of the truck you may need to do nothing or you may want to look at heavier tires, helper springs or airbags. Lot of unknowns with your question.

With the 5.7 the truck itself grunts really nice so pulling 10,000 is a non-issue.

·
Registered
710 Posts
As Hank pointed out, your issue won't be power (e.g., tow rating), it's going to be load distribution and tongue weight. You need a fair amount of the load on the front of the trailer for stability, so you're going to want air bags or weight distributing hitch if you're towing on the highway. The Bobcat and trailer are probably going to be over 8k lbs, so technically, you need weight distribution bars for a Class IV hitch (ball pull). I don't know the rating on the Tundra hitch... maybe someone can chime in on that number?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Upgrade to Load range E tires. I use air bags to fine tune the level. I pull a toyhauler @9k+.

Your trailer may be different. Just look through the different towing threads. Many people have good suggestions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Make sure your tires are rated for the weight you will add. If you have the TOW package, you should have everything else you need.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been towing a Kubota L48 backhoe (8000 lbs) with a BigTex Diamondback 70DM trailer rated at 7000 lbs. Yes, it is overloaded by quite a bit but tracks well and the Tundra has no problem. On rough roads is sways and bounces a little bit at 55 mph but not terribly. The trans is set in "tow mode" and there has been no overheating even on a recent 105 degree day.

The Prodigy brake controller is set to max and the boost is set on 3 (max) also.

The Tundra has a sway bar, air bags (at 50 lbs) but no anti-sway hitch or weight distributing hitch. The hitch is HD solid steel with a 2" ball and a 1 1/4" ball shaft.

Don't know if this is the kind of information that might be useful but here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey BILZTRD. I have a question. Your toy hauler is 9K. It looks like you tow with NO Weight Distributing Hitch. Just Air Bags. Correct? The reason I am asking, I have a similar situation and trying to figure out if I need a WDH, sway bars with my hauler. I have bags installed on the truck. The hauler is a 20 footer and with the car should be aroud 7.5K loaded. Do you have a rear sway bar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have would not do a thing other than d or e rated tires. as far as positioning on the trailer after a few times you will figure out where the sweet spot is (not to much tail sag or tail high) and truck and trailer will ride as well as can be. my 3/4 ton dodge and chevys would bounce this does too.
tim

·
Registered
916 Posts
Wow guy... we get it. You join this month and make 13 posts... all with the same message, all redirecting viewers to a specific website and almost all of them resurrecting old threads. This one is over 4 years old. Enough already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts