Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as promised I am reporting back after our trip.

I was pulling my 25' travel trailer from the central valley over to Morro Bay, CA.
It's about a 165 mile trip each way with several mountain ranges and some nice flat farm country.

My trailer weighs in at 6,200 lbs and like most travel trailers is as aeordynamic as a box can be.

The truck performed very well. There are a couple of 6% grades and it went up them at 60mph with no trouble at all. I left the tranny in "D" and was in Tow/Haul mode the entire time.
I was burning Chevron regular unleaded (87 octane)

WHAT I LIKED:

The transmission moved from 6th through 4th very smoothly up the hills.
The only hint it was downshifting was the tachometer. Very very smooth.

The transmission braking feature was nice. It startled me a few times as I had forgotten we had that feature. Just a tap of the brakes while going down a steep hill and viola...the tranny down shifted to 4th.

There is plenty of power here folks. I had to watch my speed carefully as the Tundra likes 75 MPH and our posted speed for trailering in 55mph here.
(I stayed as close to 60 as possible) :devil:

The tow mirrors worked great! No vibration at all.

I got a ton of looks at the RV park and even some questions.
Our spot was right off the main entrance.
A couple of the die hard diesel dudes even came by for a stealthy peek.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

I was expecting better gas mileage. 9.5 mpg was not much better that my 05 Tundra. Maybe after she breaks in the mileage will go up. :confused:
I checked it both ways and it was the same. I was actually better on the throttle coming home but got the same results.
Toyota dropped the ball when they designed the gas tank. I would like a minimum of 35 gallons.

Well there it is fella's.

Bill

·
Registered
137 Posts
What was your experience compared to the 2005 regarding:

Stability?
Braking?
Towing power up grades?
What rpm in 4th at 60mph up grades with the torque converter locked?
What gear did you use in the flats? And what RPM?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Well as promised I am reporting back after our trip.

I was pulling my 25' travel trailer from the central valley over to Morro Bay, CA.
It's about a 165 mile trip each way with several mountain ranges and some nice flat farm country.

My trailer weighs in at 6,200 lbs and like most travel trailers is as aeordynamic as a box can be.

The truck performed very well. There are a couple of 6% grades and it went up them at 60mph with no trouble at all. I left the tranny in "D" and was in Tow/Haul mode the entire time.
I was burning Chevron regular unleaded (87 octane)

WHAT I LIKED:

The transmission moved from 6th through 4th very smoothly up the hills.
The only hint it was downshifting was the tachometer. Very very smooth.

The transmission braking feature was nice. It startled me a few times as I had forgotten we had that feature. Just a tap of the brakes while going down a steep hill and viola...the tranny down shifted to 4th.

There is plenty of power here folks. I had to watch my speed carefully as the Tundra likes 75 MPH and our posted speed for trailering in 55mph here.
(I stayed as close to 60 as possible) :devil:

I got a ton of looks at the RV park and even some questions.
Our spot was right off the main entrance.
A couple of the die hard diesel dudes even came by for a stealthy peek.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

I was expecting better gas mileage. 9.5 mpg was not much better that my 05 Tundra. Maybe after she breaks in the mileage will go up. :confused:
I checked it both ways and it was the same. I was actually better on the throttle coming home but got the same results.
Toyota dropped the ball when they designed the gas tank. I would like a minimum of 35 gallons.

Well there it is fella's.

Bill
Sweet, i expect nothing less out of mine.
I think i will try running supreme 91 gasoline just to see if i notice a difference.
I've heard they like 75 mph towing, must be in it's best hp/tq rpm powerband at that speed.

Agreed, i would have liked to see a 35 gallon tank as well. Just more gas station stops along the way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was your experience compared to the 2005 regarding:

Stability?
Braking?
Towing power up grades?
What rpm in 4th at 60mph up grades with the torque converter locked?
What gear did you use in the flats? And what RPM?
Way more stable than my 05. The trailer did not push me at all.
The braking is much more responsive. My 05 alwyas felt mushy (even with out a trailer. I use a Prodigy brake controler while towing and it works very well.

In 4th gear I was at 3500 RPM +_ at or near 60 MPH. ( about 6% incline)

I was in "D" the entire time with the Tow/Haul engaged.

Bill

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have only towed small utility trailers in my life but when I get my new Crewmax I may due some real towing. The brake control feature is prewired for the Tundra as I understand it? Is this the case and does it just plug in? Also, is there an advantage over Toyota's controller as opposed to others? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
764 Posts
"Toyota's controller" is actually an aftermarket Tekonsha Prodigy digital trailer brake controller. I think Toyota found the best aftermarket controller in the world and then endorsed it so dealers could sell it as a sanctioned Tundra accessory.

I agree with Toyota. The Prodigy is the best trailer brake controller I have ever used. Dare I say I think it is slightly superior to Ford's "Tow Command" system found as an integrated option on Superduty pickups (my previous favorite controller). If you purchase a Prodigy you can also get a Tekonsha-made Toyota cable to connect the controller straight to the factory wire harness without having to wire the Toyota pigtail found loose in the glove box. In reality it's really no big deal mating Toyota's pigtail with the stock Teknonsha wiring (4 connectors and you're done without the added cost of Teknonsha's specialized harness for Toyotas -- ignore Toyota's green wire and tie it off). I have bench seats and mounted my Prodigy recessed where the ash tray goes for a clean, custom and easy-to-get-to location (ash tray was stored away safe for the future).

Now, if in the future we could get Toyota to integrate trailer brakes into the truck, even as an option code, similar to Ford's Tow Command, life would be sweet indeed.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Hey vstarbill, I'm curious, did you go on hiway 41? I've been across the hill on that road so many trimes I could probably drive it with my eyes closed. (In fact I probably did a couple times in the wee hours of the morning). If it went over that road as smooth as you say then that's impressive. I know it was always a bummer getting stuck behind a trailer on that road, especially in my '89 4x4 4 cyl. pick up. Had to be going downhill to pass anything in that truck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the info! :tu: A couple of questions...

1) Are you referring to the factory tow mirrors or add-on ones you used? If add-ons, what brand/type?

2) Does your trailer have a weight distribution hitch?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey vstarbill, I'm curious, did you go on hiway 41? I've been across the hill on that road so many trimes I could probably drive it with my eyes closed. (In fact I probably did a couple times in the wee hours of the morning). If it went over that road as smooth as you say then that's impressive. I know it was always a bummer getting stuck behind a trailer on that road, especially in my '89 4x4 4 cyl. pick up. Had to be going downhill to pass anything in that truck.
Yep! That's how we go. The truck did great.

Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! :tu: A couple of questions...

1) Are you referring to the factory tow mirrors or add-on ones you used? If add-ons, what brand/type?

2) Does your trailer have a weight distribution hitch?

Yep. I have the factory tow mirrors. I had the stap on's on my 05. They suck!

And yes I use a Reese WD hitch with a friction sway bar and a Prodigy brake controller.

Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have only towed small utility trailers in my life but when I get my new Crewmax I may due some real towing. The brake control feature is prewired for the Tundra as I understand it? Is this the case and does it just plug in? Also, is there an advantage over Toyota's controller as opposed to others? Any info is appreciated.

The Tundra has a connector behind the left kick panel. There is a dummy connector plugged into it. The Prodigy has an optional cable available and your truck should have come with a pig tail in the glove compartment. Toyota's brake controller is the Prodigy. A smart move on their part if you ask me. The Prodigy is highly respected in the RV world.

Just follow the directions and you will be up and towing in no time.

Bill

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Not familiar with the 5th wheel towing on the 07 D/C models with the longer beds, but will you be able to haul a 5th wheel with say the 4.7 D/C or 5.7 D/C long beds? will the hitch be positioned where this can be done with ease yet? i know there is a a HUGE 5th wheel market waiting for this process to happen!!:)

·
Registered
699 Posts
did the a$$ end of the truck squat alot? I'm asking this because I'm getting a lift for mine and am unsure of blocks or add a leaf. I do alot of towing with a 8000 pound boat and trailer, and toytec told me to see how much the truck squats because they dont usally dont recommend the blocks but on the new tundra the leaf springs are already so stiff if you added another one it would be brutal. I dont have my truck yet should be in a week, but I want the lift and everything to be ready and waiting.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did the a$$ end of the truck squat alot? I'm asking this because I'm getting a lift for mine and am unsure of blocks or add a leaf. I do alot of towing with a 8000 pound boat and trailer, and toytec told me to see how much the truck squats because they dont usally dont recommend the blocks but on the new tundra the leaf springs are already so stiff if you added another one it would be brutal. I dont have my truck yet should be in a week, but I want the lift and everything to be ready and waiting.
Very little squat. Now mind you I am pulling a 6200 lb trailer so my tongue weight is only about 700 lbs. What little squat there was was evened out by the WD hitch. I would be concerned hauling a fiver if what I hear about pin weights is correct. 20% to 25% of the trailer weight. That would put you over the cargo carrying capacity without even adding passengers or cargo.

Bill

·
Registered
237 Posts
I towed our VR1 310BHS a few weeks ago over Donner Pass (I-80 between Reno and Bay Area, elevation 7272'). THe VR1 was loaded to about 7500lbs and it is 33'10" long :eek: . It towed GREAT. It only squated a couple of inches. I have the Equalizer hitch. I am guessing, but I think my tongue weight is around 800lbs. There was very little sway and braking was as mentioned above. :tu:

I agree with mileage and gas tank size - only downsides. :td:

·
Registered
389 Posts
my math says you needed 34 gallons of gas for the trip which means you had to stop once for gas assuming you had a full tank on take-off. I like stopping for gas on road trips, it's a chance at getting laid.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We just got back from a camping trip to Fort Mountain in Georgia last weekend. My folks have a 25' TT, weighs in at 6k, and a 07 Tundra. They had an 06, but traded up(don't ask me why they didn't just wait in the first place...only had the 06 for 4 months).
Anyway, I was pulling our popup behind my 03, it only weighs about 2600. 800 miles up there, lots of very steep grades, but don't know how steep. My gas mileage was alot better obviously, but I was kind of surprised at how much better. He was getting 200 miles a tank max, getting out of Florida(about 8-9mpg). We traveled at 70mph the whole way. It did pull great though, we traded off for a while, it really handled that TT very well, braking was incredible too. I don't use a brake controller on my popup, so it was a bit of a difference for me there...
Other than the mileage, that trucks really hauls, he had no problem at all keeping up with me, even on the very steep grade of Fort Mountain, and it's steep!

·
Registered
932 Posts
my math says you needed 34 gallons of gas for the trip which means you had to stop once for gas assuming you had a full tank on take-off. I like stopping for gas on road trips, it's a chance at getting laid.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I should just leave this alone, but here goes anyway....
I'm officially poking you with a stick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts