Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 DC 4.6L is rolling up to the 10000 mile mark and I am getting ready to do an oil change service on the truck (I always DYI on this stuff however I had a free coupon for the 5K change at the dealer so had that service done there, along with the other VVTi code related changes at 15 miles and 700 miles!).

I just received my revised maintenance manual from Toyota and it indicates oil change intervals of 5K when towing or 10K for "normal" usage (using 0-20 synthetic only like they say) my usage consists of 75% easy normal operation and 25% heavy towing use for any given period. Given the expense of an 8 qt synthetic oil change I would like to stretch the interval out to at least 7500 miles or possibly 10000. Wondering about others opinions on this. Currenlty the 5K oil in the truck is still honey colored and at the full mark (I have towed about 1000 miles out the this 5000 mile period). Basically I have been a regular 3K dino oil guy for years on all my trucks so this whole synthetic deal is kind of new to me. I intend to use Toyota brand filters.

On that note, the manual calls for replacing the FRONT diff oil at 15K "when towing". Wondering about this also since I almost never use 4WD when towing. Seems like the only time this would matter is if I had it in 4wd alot with a heavy trailer hooked up!

Also considering replacing the xfer case, front and rear diff oil with a good synthetic at 15K. Opinions on this? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sure you can stretch the oil interval to 7500 miles. It probably won't hurt anything. Check the level, color etc regularly. Be sure and replace the filter too - use the TRD version. All the rest, change every 15k for the life of the rig. Just keep an eye on the temp when towing. Too high a temperature will cause more problems than just about anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts