Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been lurking around this forum eversince I bought my new Tundra. Alot of great infromation here! I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to in my owners manual. I have a 2007 tundra DC with the 4.7. I wil be towing a small camper that weights about 3400lbs. I have the column shift without an "overdrive off" button on the end. So, when tow I tow do I just drop it into "D" and go, or do I put it in "S" mode and manually shift it? My other truck was a T-100 which I had to tow with OD off or else the transmission would overheat.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all, I've been lurking around this forum eversince I bought my new Tundra. Alot of great infromation here! I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to in my owners manual. I have a 2007 tundra DC with the 4.7. I wil be towing a small camper that weights about 3400lbs. I have the column shift without an "overdrive off" button on the end. So, when tow I tow do I just drop it into "D" and go, or do I put it in "S" mode and manually shift it? My other truck was a T-100 which I had to tow with OD off or else the transmission would overheat.
Thanks for your help!
I believe that most truck manuals recommend that you don't drive in overdrive when towing heavy loads but I normally drive in OD on flat terrain and shift down for hilling areas.
I'm thinking of getting a new Tundra but I'm concerned about the mpgs. What kind of mpgs are you getting?
thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just burned throught my 1st tank of gas, I got about 12.4MPG some highway but mostly in town miles. I'm not sure if the dealership completely topped off my truck off or not when they "filled it". I'm pretty sure the MPGs will get better as the motor breaks in. I was getting about 17 MPG with my 96 T-100. I would be happy with 15MPG with the Tundra.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We have a 4.7L DC also. I don't have any immediate plans to tow anything but I don't think you will have any problems towing the trailer you mention with your truck. As for mpg, I got 15mpg on my first check. Now with that said, I picked up the truck and it had 62 miles on it. We drove it 75 miles and I topped it off again. I got 15mpg on that. During those 75 miles I had to warm up the truck several times. The temperatures were near zero or a little below so I let the truck warm up for quite awhile. My wife and I are both driving the truck and all of that will be in town driving. I will let you know what we get on the next fill up. I have reset my trip odometer to zero so it will be easy to check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 4.7 tows the pop-up camper just fine. I've tried using the manual shift, didn't really like it. i just tow it in drive seems to work just fine. It tows the crap out of it though. I used to tow a smaller camper with my xterra and it was hell, the tundra pulls this camper like its not even there so far. I will say this I haven't really towed it yet. The most was 20 miles at times a pop. I will be towing it cross country this summer, and I'll post how it did then. I will use the manual shift for hill and such though. The way the manual shift works is basicly just a limiter anyway. It will upand down shift through the gears till it reaches the selected gear. when I found I figured that out I said screw it and threw her in drive, it's just easier.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts