Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been lurking around this forum eversince I bought my new Tundra. Alot of great infromation here!
I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to in my owners manual. I have a 2007 tundra DC with the 4.7. I wil be towing a small camper that weights about 3400lbs (dry). I have the column shift without an "overdrive off" button on the end or the tow/haul button which is only in 5.7 6 speed transmission. So, when tow I tow do I just drop it into "D" and go, or is it recommended to put into "S" mode and manually shift it ? My other truck was a T-100 which I had to tow with OD off or else the transmission would overheat.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I towed my boat for the first time with my new Tundra and I had it in Drive most of the time with no problems. My Tundra also has the 4.7 so I don't have the tow/haul botton either. The boat I was pulling was ~4000 pounds and it really pulled it nice, I was very impressed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have an '02 and it has the OD/off button. I bought it used so I'm not really sure if that's an option or not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So while we are on this topic. Should I always tow with the OD turned off if i have that option? I have a 14 x 7 enclosed trailer and when i let it pop into OD it seemed to be struggling a bit when going over 70mph.

I spent most of my last trip town with OD off and turning it on from time to time if i saw a few miles of downhill or level ground ahead. I got around 9.5mpg on my trip and I have no idea if that is good, bad or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I let the truck tell me whether to tow in OD or not. If it's constantly downshifting, take it out of OD. If you tow really fast (>75 mph), then OD might be better as it will put it back in the torque band. Don't recommend that unless your equipment is rated for it.

I tow at max weight (GVWR and GCWR) and I can't even get it into overdrive on level ground. Too much weight and wind resistance (travel trailer). So, I tow in 4th and it seems happy to be there.

Tom

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
So while we are on this topic. Should I always tow with the OD turned off if i have that option? I have a 14 x 7 enclosed trailer and when i let it pop into OD it seemed to be struggling a bit when going over 70mph.

I spent most of my last trip town with OD off and turning it on from time to time if i saw a few miles of downhill or level ground ahead. I got around 9.5mpg on my trip and I have no idea if that is good, bad or otherwise.
Tomhole explained it very well. Let the truck tell you whether or not to us OD.
I just helped a friend move & he loaded the (16x7) haulmark trailer to the ceiling. My tundra w/ 5.7 would pull it on the flat in 5th loaded at 2400 r's. Empty on the flat at 70, it did it in 6th. Not bad. You can expect to get that mileage wise. Where i went there's a few 5-6% grades & i traveled about 70-75mph. I got 10.5-11mpg.

Isn't straitline stability awesome with these trucks? Credit that to the extra long wheel base.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts