Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 tundra with the 4.7, 4wd and automatic. I'm thinking about the new tundra because it's everything I wished the 03 was. But my sensibility tells me to consider the FJ. I may be moving to Cali and would like the increase in gas mileage. I tow a 6x12, single axle, the trailer is tall. I have the 7 foot tall model. I have pulled the trailer across country (4000 pounds) in 3rd gear and can usually cruise at 70. Hills aren't to bad and steep ones are a hard, slow pull in 2nd. My usual tow is around 2500 pounds. With zero wind or elevation change I can run in 4th/OD at 75+ and I mean ZERO.

Should I keep the ole tundra? The FJ's hp and torque specs aren't to far off the 03 tundra and the FJ is lighter ie horsepower to weight ratio???? Or should I treat myself to a new FJ? 2wd or 4wd? It'll be an automatic. I'm not rowing a clutch/gear box in san diego traffic:td: Maybe a new, shorter trailer to go with it:D

Bill

·
Registered
699 Posts
I either have or had all the trucks your talking about. I have then new 5.7 tundra for towing and I use the FJ Cruiser for everyday driving. I personnally would not use the Fj to pull. it's rated for 5000 lbs but with you pulling 4000 lbs thats a square box if it got windy out I would think it would through the Fj around. I could be wrong because I have never towed with it. I get fairlly good milage out of this big truck usally 17 but have see 18-19 on good days. the old model tundra I had was much worse on gas then the new one. plus if you got the new 5.7 you always have the power if you need it. got anymore Q's just ask!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi--I tow a 3500GVW Jayco with my automatic 2007 FJ 4wd and don't have a problem. If its hilly country 4th.gear is best due to frequent downshifting otherwise. I usually do 65-70 mph on xways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tow an 18' ski boat with my 6 speed FJ...about 3000lbs with gear and gas...I've towed at 75mph in 5th gear with no problem...much more stable than my Wrangler...my double cab Tundra towed it better, but not enough to make me want to live with a 20' long school bus of a pick up truck again.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I think the tundra will be best in your case un less he just want to have the
FJ curiser to ride in I mean what are youl realy looking for an thing in partiular.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bill you can figure this out in a scientific way...go to the dealership "test drive" an FJ. While you have it, go hook up the trailer and run it wide open and see what happens. Dont forget, its not pulling the trailer that is important, its stoping it so make sure you jamb those brakes a few times especially out on the HWY, the other motorist love that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts