Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

We are looking at adding a 2-3" lift to our 2010 Tundra CrewMax but have some questions regarding towing with the lift. We tow a 21' ski boat and the bed is generally full of camping gear when we tow the boat. The boat and trailer weight no more than 5k lbs and I'd say it's closer to 4k lbs but I know for a fact it's under 5k. I'd estimate that we tow an average of 15 weekends a year and they are short trips (under 300 miles round trip easily). We are not looking to eliminate the rake in the truck just reduce it from factory.

As for the lift we are looking at coil overs for the front and new shocks in the rear with either added or replaced leafs, air bags, or a block lift ... that's where we are looking for some help!!

My understanding is that lifting the front of the 2gen tundra 2.5-3" will make it level leading me to believe that the factory rake is 2.5-3" ... correct?

We would prefer to reduce the rake to about 1-1.5" but still have the ability to tow without rear sag. I love the idea of the AAL or replacement leaf packs being maintenance free but if that isn't the best option for our set up then it's not worth it regardless of how easy it is.

We are looking at this leaf set up by ICON as the front runner right now:
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=370
2007 - Current Toyota Tundra Rear Expansion Pack. unlike traditional add-a-leafs that obtain lift height at the cost of stiffening ride quality this new full length expansion pack replaces all the factory leafs except the main and overload. This allows us to modify the spring rate to increase ride comfort, obtain lift height, still maintain load and towing capacities and increase wheel travel. By obtaining the factory main leaf installation is a snap.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Please let me know what your experience as been with towing from a lifted truck and if you have any experience with the above mentioned product as well as any and all products you would recommend instead or in addition.

:ts:

·
Registered
559 Posts
The factory rake is about 2-2.5 inches, I would go with airbags to completely do away with the sag. When I towed, I still had sag in it, but never installed airbags. You shouldn't have any problems towing with that setup.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
I've got a 1st gen Tundra with a 6" lift on 35's. I've towed our 26 foot, 5,600 lb travel trailer all over heck and back with narry a problem. I also installed a "deep drop" shank to get it all level. I think you will be fine. :tu:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Leveling kit (front/rear) and air bags.. This way you aren't stiffening the unloaded ride with an add a leaf, or heavier duty set of leaf springs. With the air bags.. You'll be able to get the ride height exactly where you want it, and retain the factory ride quality

I already have a leveling kit.. Readylift 2.5" Front & 1" Rear. Air bags, E-Rated 33's and a travel trailer are in the future :tu:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts