Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I purchased my double cab SR5 4.7 2 weeks ago and was told it had the tow pkg. The sticker even shows that it can tow 8100 lbs and has hitch rcvr/supplemental A/T cooler, 4.10 Rear diff w9.5" ring gear, 130a Alternater, A/T temo gauge, 7 pin connector, trailer brake prewir, under the towing portion of the sticker.

I purchased the Tekonsha P3 brake controller today with the wiring harness in plans to hook it up this weekend. While deciding where to mount it (good ideas from threads here - thanks :), I suddenly noticed there was no TOW/HAUL or OD switch that I am used to on my previous vehicles.

So I came here to do some searching and was a little confused that some folks have the TOW/HAUL switch but I do not, even though I supposedly have the tow package. So I am not really sure how I am supposed to prevent the tranny from over shifting and struggling to pull my 7000 lb camper at times. Maybe use the S mode?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am not really a car/truck buff or even all that mechanically inclined. So any help explaining how I should use the S instead of D while towing would be greatly appreciated. I have had many trucks and hauled many trailers in my life but it's always been pretty simple, just push the OD button and go LOL.

This is the first time I have felt like such an idiot when it comes to using a vehicle I have bought. I was confused with the whole VSC thing but found some good info here. And still have no clue about the S sequential shifting thing. And the guys at the dealership seem clueless too. So I am getting most of my info on my new toy here LOL. So thanks folks for all this great info.

Oh yea, speaking of VSC, should I turn it all off when towing unless its raining or ruff roads?

Looking forward to pulling my trailer from Atlanta to the 4 corners area in a few weeks, so want to get everything all ready, including me all trained up haha.​

·
Registered
73 Posts
The TOW/HAUL switch is only on the 5.7 motors with the 6 speed transmission. I went through this same thing when I got my 4.7

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
The tow/haul switch was on avaliable with the 5.7/6-spd combo. The 4.7/5-spd don't have the switch. The "S mode" allows you to have manual control over the gears, that's pretty much it, nothing special about it.

Just use your senses and you will tow fine. If you feel the engine is lugging, pull it back a gear. Usually the ECU is smart enough and kicks it back for you but if it's hunting gears or if you know you have a long incline ahead of you, just kick it back a gear or however many gears you feel deemable and the truck will do it's job.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Is there an overdrive off button on the 4.7 model? if so just turn off the overdrive button when you are towing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it lugs in 5th, tow in 4th by using the S-mode: upshift to 4th and leave it there. This way the tranny won't try to find 5th all the time. It's always best to tow in a higher RPM range with gas engines 2000-2500. Don't worry, the tranny will upshift on its own if you leave the S-mode in 4th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts