Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 06 tundra access cab with the 4.0L automatic tran. I tow a small boat that weighs under 2k, and camp gear that will be about 600lbs. Most towing will be on the texas coast(flat) and small hills, summer heat can be 100 degrees. I've read plenty about the fact that the motor won't be a problem, but how well does the tranny do towing? I've been towing with a 93 chevy with a 350 auto setup, how will the tundra compare overall. Thanks

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the HP of the newer V6 is probally more than the old 350 was...but torque i dont know...but im sure u will be fine...i didnt like towing with a 4.3 V6 in a std cab silverado so i traded it after 8 months of towing duty for my curent tundra...nothign like towing with a v8.... the v6 just had to rev to high to keep up speed... as for the tranny? cant help u there but install a tranny cooler if u dont already have one on it just to be safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always had tranny coolers on any vehicle I use for towing, its a have to have in the Texas heat. The Tundra has a small cooler in front of the radiator, is this a factory tran cooler or something else?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
dont know for sure...might chek over in the 1st gen tundra forum area...i dont know if yota put tranny coolers on the baby motors or not....why u lookin at the V6 anyway? why not the V8?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tired of pushing a v-8 down the road. Drove a 93 chevy 1500/350 for the past 9 yrs. I only tow long distance 2 or 3 times a year, about 200 miles round trip, then maybe 10 or so times for 10 - 20miles. So I thought for the rest of my driving (98% of the time) it would be nice to get some decent gas mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts