Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for feedback from anybody who has towed with the 5.7 liter TRD Supercharger? I am sure the power increase is quite noticeable, but I am curious if the supercharger is loud and annoying when pulling a long hill and also what the fuel mileage is like compared to naturally aspirated. I can see the fuel mileage improving if the motor can stay out of the boost and hold a lower gear, but it could also be a lot worse if the motor is in the boost all of the time. Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't have any personal experience to go off of but I think the key is staying out of the boost like you mentioned. It also depends on what kind of weight your talking about pulling. I've read several folk getting better than factory MPG when driving the truck normally and staying out of boost. I know there's a few folk that have experience in this area, hopefully they'll chime in for ya.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently tow a 21' toy hauler that is around 7,500 to 8,000 pounds when fully loaded? I get between 7.5 to 10.5 mpg depending on the wind and hills. I would love to have some fun with a supercharger, but I don't want to experience a significant lose in towing mileage.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nice catch. I wish he'd post a bit more info than he did if he has some real world experience with it.
some guys on the board know other people so well by their posts they have a following if you will and sometimes those same people look up other fellow members to find out where they live and what they do, scary I tell ya. :cool:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
some guys on the board know other people so well by their posts they have a following if you will and sometimes those same people look up other fellow members to find out where they live and what they do, scary I tell ya. :cool:
Any time someone mentions they have a S/C I read their post to find out as much about the S/C as possible. It has nothing to do with the person lol Only person I might stalk would be Gadget over at URD so I could force him to make a smaller pulley for the charger :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have only towed my trailer once sense I got the SC.

Firstly, I have seen a few post as of late where people without SCs say the SC will cause worse MPG.

I get about 3-3.5 mpg BETTER mpg city. (*haven't checked for highway....haven't gone anywhere yet but it will likely be the same as the city MPG increase).

I didnt check my mpg when towing my trailer but clearly was not worse then towing it before the SC.

Secondly, if you are maintaining a consistent speed the engine wont pull enough vacuum to shut the SC gate. This means it shouldnt be under boost just because you are pulling a trailer, that is, unless you are trying to accelerate or hit a big hill with a heavy load. So other then the slight whine from the SC heard from normal driving the SC shouldnt be making much more noise then towing (I didnt notice any more noise then normal when I was towing my trailer).

-Also

Dont accelerate faster, or pull hills harder when pulling a trailer with a SC Tundra (because you can) then you would with without the SC. Just because you have the power to pass cars up hills with a 10K load, doesnt mean you should.

~JH

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have a supercharger?
unlike some,there are members here that choose to not make a big hoopla about their blower.

and what difference would it make if i did not?
basic common sense will dictate that any motor running with boost will consume more fuel and seeing boost is related to load and load is related to weight or acceleration you do the math.
oh,and your mileage WILL vary.
And i apologize profusely is one of my prior posts did not give specifics.the op did not mention the weight of his trailer so giving a mpg drop would've been a guess at best!

·
Registered
148 Posts
johnnyhotnuts,the gate does not activate under vacuum.it closes when it senses atmospheric pressure or about 14.7psi absolute.
you will notice that it's closed when engine is shut off and opens when vacuum is present.

to the OP:noise is not any greater when towing as the whine is related boost conditions no matter the load .

·
Registered
754 Posts
Any time someone mentions they have a S/C I read their post to find out as much about the S/C as possible. It has nothing to do with the person lol Only person I might stalk would be Gadget over at URD so I could force him to make a smaller pulley for the charger :D
not referring to you :) I wish Gadget would make some stuff for the tundra though I know he had some nice things for the FJ cruiser when I had mine with the supercharger...man tuneable indeed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think RONE was referring to how (dont quote me) how you made a generic response when im assuming the OP wanted some real world experience such as: "yeah I towed it through colorado mountaings and it ran superb" then again maybe the OP does not know the SC eats more gas and does now know it has more power :confused:
unlike some,there are members here that choose to not make a big hoopla about their blower.

and what difference would it make if i did not?
basic common sense will dictate that any motor running with boost will consume more fuel and seeing boost is related to load and load is related to weight or acceleration you do the math.
oh,and your mileage WILL vary.
And i apologize profusely is one of my prior posts did not give specifics.the op did not mention the weight of his trailer so giving a mpg drop would've been a guess at best!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
not referring to you :) I wish Gadget would make some stuff for the tundra though I know he had some nice things for the FJ cruiser when I had mine with the supercharger...man tuneable indeed.
Yeah I've heard he has a S/C'ed Tundra, not sure why he hasn't made anything to boost HP yet though. May be afraid the internals can't handle it, who knows. Okay back on topic, drive the truck normal and you'll see about the same MPG :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have only towed my trailer once sense I got the SC.
Firstly, I have seen a few post as of late where people without SCs say the SC will cause worse MPG.
I get about 3-3.5 mpg BETTER mpg city. (*haven't checked for highway....haven't gone anywhere yet but it will likely be the same as the city MPG increase).
I didnt check my mpg when towing my trailer but clearly was not worse then towing it before the SC.
-Also
Dont accelerate faster, or pull hills harder when pulling a trailer with a SC Tundra (because you can) then you would with without the SC. Just because you have the power to pass cars up hills with a 10K load, doesnt mean you should.
~JH
Thanks for the input. How big of a trailer did you tow and at what speed/conditions? I guess my biggest question is if I tow my trailer the same way that I do now, am I going to see any significant decrease in gas mileage. I typically tow my camper around 65 mph and if there is a head wind or hill the tundra will maintain that speed without a problem in 4th gear turning right at 3000 rpms. If I don't try to push the truck any harder than I currently do, will the truck be producing a lot of boost and sucking down a lot of gas under this load, or will it be about the same as long as I don't try to accelerate up the hill or tow at a higher speed? I just don't want to get the supercharger and end up getting 5 mpg or less pulling into the wind instead f the 7.5 mpg I typically get now into the wind.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you accelerate exactly the same as the NA truck the motor will not make more HP (or use more fuel) simply because it has a SC.
Funny thing about most turbos and SCs is that they provide more power only when under load. I could pull a trailer with my SC alongside a 5.7 NA and have my engine make the same or less HP as the guy without the SC, if I drove the same or slower.

Driving style and the SC/turbos power recovery (why they get better MPG) will mean you MPG will stay the same or better.

My trailer is a 16' dual axle Interstate (2K?) with about 2K pounds of race car and at least 1K of gear.

Sure its not giant weight but it is a sail!

Again....the SC wont make your MPG go away....but it can make it worse if you are constantly making more HP then OEM. Drive normally and you'll likely get better.

ALSO....

Millions of diesel long haulers have turbos....if they ruined MPG they wouldnt be there.

~JH

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
I have not noticed any change while towing various loads on all types of roads and grades. The potential is there to get a little better mpg and the power certainly is very nice. I'd recomend ANYONE running the charger use a 5W30 oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts