Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 tundra access cab with tow package can tow a 4950 lbs camper on factory hitch w/weight distrabution hitch. my garage says not to its only attached to the bumper

·
Registered
245 Posts
A bumper will not support that much I dont believe the factory installed hitch that toyota talks about is a reciever hitch.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You should be fine with a frame hitch, but don't try to tow that much on a bumper hitch (unless you want to leave your bumper behind).

I don't know about the '03 tow package, but my '06 tow package included a frame hitch.
With that much weight, you'll also want to make sure the tongue weight is within range (~10-12% of overall trailer weight) even if you use a wt distributing hitch.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The tow package came with a frame attached hitch. Look under the truck and if it is attached to the frame you are good. You will need to do some wiring for a brake controller. One thing to watch is your gross weight. Is 4950lbs a dry weight?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also have a 2003 AC with tow package. It should have a frame mounted hitch. You will be more than fine. Read your owners manual. There are about 4 pages in there that refer to towing. You can tow up to 7200 lbs without weight distribution, although the manual does recommend using a WDH. Tongue weight I think is 750 lbs without WDH or 1000lbs with one. Keep in mind though that tongue weight includes everything in the bed of your truck behind the axle as well as everything in front of your trailers axles. It's not hard to over do it. Use a WDH and don't worry about it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it as hitch with with 4 bolts in to bumper trailer brake wiring is there and hooked up the 4950 is trailer fully load

·
Registered
245 Posts
man i dont think I would trust it if it is just bolted to the bumper. I never did like older trucks with bumper pulls. I have seen too many bumpers bent, broke, or just left behind. I would get a reciever hitch that bolts to the frame.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is the actual ball of the hitch attached to your bumper or is it attached to a frame mount that is "under" your bumper? Sounds like it is a simple ball mounted to the bumper. Biggggg difference in capabilities. You'll be fine with one, and screwed with the other...

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you only have a bumper mount hitch then you dont have the tow package. You will need a class IV hitch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks that is what i said along my mecanic buddy. but the rv dealer said it was fine.(not useing them agian) got hitch from uhaul that is a class 3 w/ wd 10,0000 gtw so it will work for me only need about 6000or less but it was on sale thank for all your help rick

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Are you sure that the receiver bolts directly to the bumper or are you just looking at the piece that bolts to factory tow package hitch frame? How about a picture?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here are some pictures of the factory hitch you get with the tow package. Though it looks like it just bolts to the bumper, it is an entire frame hitch. If you unbolted the receiver piece and replaced this you wasted your money. But I can see why you would think it was just a bolt on to the bumper. When it is installed it looks like the receiver is just bolted to the bumper, the bumper skin actually bolts to the entire frame hitch. If you don't have the tow package your bumper is held on with a couple of light weight bumper brackets.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts