Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 tundra 5.7 auto 4.30 gear. I have added air bags. I tow a 8000 lb toy hauler, but truck sways when being passed by 18 wheelers. I am thinking about sway bars and truck tires ? Does any body have a soluation ? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
What type of hitch are you using? Some weight distribution hitches have sway control devices built into the hitch. When you pass a semi on the freeway, the articulation between the truck and trailer is what causes the sway.

Adding a sway bar to your truck will help you take corners when not towing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Equal-izer WDH with built in anti-sway is what I use on a 6000# TT.

Works great, only its noisy (creaks and squeaks in turns, which is normal for it). But keeps the trailer tracking true.

Reese and Hensley make good set ups as well.

Mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also use an Equal-i-zer WDH on my 6000# TT. They now have an optional teflon slide that reduces noise in turns, etc. The hitch, along with a set of air bags and a prodigy P3 controller is what I have now and the set up works great with zero sway. If I were towing that much weight I would get a set of E rated tires right away. The michelins that came with the truck are ok for now with 6K, but I will replace with E rated when they wear out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
E-rated tires will be a must.

-rockstate
What he said...that will make the biggest improvement. The P rated tires that came from the factory suck so bad that they really could get a golf ball through a garden hose.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Sway control hitch ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts