Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '08 tundra with the 4.7 motor. Question regarding towing.......towing 850 lb. load in an enclosed 5x8 trailer. Do you use only the "S" shift and can you use 5th gear, so to speak, while towing? I was told to use the "S" shift mode only and 5th on flat ground only while towing.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished a tow of a 6x12 trailer comperable weight with '07 DC 4.7 motor IN to FL. Used 5th gear hole time just have to watch long up hills. It likes to shift up quick. I just took it off of cruise during those.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Why use 5th only? That little weight shouldnt be an issue. Id only use the "S" mode on long downhill grades for engine braking. Other than that, "D" and go !!!

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I pull a tad more than that, more like 8,000 lbs and I pull in D except when the tranny wants to downshift too much then I use S and hold it back a gear or two to stop the constant shifting. I have a 5 mile 6% - 7% grade when driving up in the mountains that brings the tranny down to 3rd gear to maintain 55 mph (speed limit) but even then the truck pulls like a champ. :yo:

·
Registered
51 Posts
850 lbs? i carry that when my family all hops in the truck for dinner (6 people). should i put it in S for this? no, the truck doesn't even realize when 850 lbs is being pulled.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The truck shifts just fine in tow haul mode in drive. There is a thread here somewhere that has a toyota sheet that shows in S mode, tow haul is deacivated. Use tow haul, in D.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Tow/Haul works in S mode, I use it all the time.

·
Registered
330 Posts
While we are on the topic, when towing a heavy load in the mountains, do you guys still use 87 octane? Ive read for any engine that is going to be working hard in the upper rpms, higher octane gas is beneficial. (reduces engine ping, fuel burns more complete, etc.)

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
87 octane ignites easier than higher octane so burning completely isn't an issue. And it doesn't ping using 87 octane when I tow in the mountains so don't put higher octane in, I guess I could try it one time to see if there is a worth while mileage (or power) gain.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
The truck shifts just fine in tow haul mode in drive. There is a thread here somewhere that has a toyota sheet that shows in S mode, tow haul is deacivated. Use tow haul, in D.
or since he has a 4.7 just use D since 4.7s dont have the tow haul button...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I am fixing to head out to West Texas hill country and towing an enclosed 16' trailer. Will not have much weight going out. (hope to have more weight coming back haha). With the TRD offroad package it showed i had the 430 gears. Can I drive in D and just put it in towhaul and go. I know on gm's they always said put it tow haul and drive and if it starts to shift down alot in hills to drop back a gear and it would help the transmission.
What it really neat is now i have a transmission gauge which i did not have on the gm. I know the trailer can't be that heavy, but it will pull a lot of wind resistance going down the highway. I see some post where people are driving in sport mode and i guess changing gears manually. Doesn't the tow haul mode help on that factor and keep your rpms up? I only have 7100 miles on truck and want to make sure i do this right. You guys that tow regular I would appreciate any input. It is flat to Houston and once you start getting towards San Antonio it gradually increases and u get some pretty good hills out by Kerrville.
Thanks for any input.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Well there is some truth in the info about keeping it down a gear if it down shifts a lot, I use S (shift mode) when towing along with the tow/haul, I use the highest gear I can that doesn't cause the tranny to shift up and down a lot, I can live with a little higher RPMs better than being annoyed by the constant shifting. I have just put the truck in D and headed out then an hour down the road remember to push the tow/haul button, I believe tow/haul just changed the shift points to allow for more RPMs to not work the engine as hard.

Trust me when you get out on the road the truck will let you know what gear it is happier in. As for tow/haul, like said sometimes I forget to use it. ;)

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Thanks Tank

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I have run through San Antonio a few times, I know what ya mean about hill country.

Hope you come home with a heavy trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Towed an open car hauler from Atlanta to Orlando, the North GA hills are similar to the TX hill country (lived in Austin for 10yrs). The car and trailer was about 6500lbs, I didn't use tow/haul. I forgot about it, when I remembered to push the button, it was dead. I forgot to connect the wire when I was messing with the stereo. I still managed a little over 14MPG, YMMV since you are hauling an enclosed trailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts