Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current Tow Vehicle: 2008 Sequoia 5.7L Limited
Currenting Towing: Boat __ 27' 3" Cuddy Cruiser, Dry 6900lbs, with trailer and grey, black, fresh water and fuel 8000 - 9000lbs.
Trailer: tandem, surge brakes, alum
Tow area: Louisiana to Florida (flat....slight hills in FL panhandle)

Question: My Sequoia pulls this OK at best. Do I upgrade the Sequoia with SC, TRD brakes and add Firestone bags or move on to HD truck?

MPG towing: at 10.4mpg avg, mostly flat, slight hills = manually shift to 4th gear when needed

Should I upgrade the Sequoia or go to and HD truck (Chevy, Dodge, Ford 2500,3500)?

The Sequoia does "ok". Shift down on inclines.... I have to hit the brakes harder than usual to stop (with surge brakes) and the back squats a little (3-6in).

I DON'T want to "upgrade" to the chevy, dodge, ford quality interior/exterior and dependability issues.

I've always had Toyota trucks/SUVs and cannot see myself leaving this Brand. But I need more to tow what I have?

Should I SC, bag, and brake what I have or is it truly to upgrade capacities and downgrade quality?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its fine that the engine shifts down and revs up while towing. That's what gassers are meant to do. Beefier brakes will help although the brakes on the Sequoia are already pretty good IMO.

But having said that, I would say that you are at your max with that boat and the Sequoia. If it were me, I would go with an HD truck like at 250 or 350. Better than the tundra in towing a heavy load.

If you decide to keep the Seq, then what's the tongue weight on that boat? I would guess somewhere between 700-900lbs which means that your vehicle will need a weight distribution hitch (if you aren't already using one).

That will take care of the rear-end sag and Toyota states that it is necessary to use a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity if the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lbs anyway.

If you already have the WDH, than it needs to be adjusted because the rear-end shouldn't sag by that amt. Also, I bet the front end is pretty light. Have you ever weighed the setup at a CAT scale?

The bags will also help with sag, but you might be overweight the rear axle without a WDH. Bags should be used only after a well-adjusted WDH is installed.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Ya- I'd say your pretty maxed out there in terms of what the vehicle is designed to do. If you put on a supercharger, I'd be concerned with heat and the lifespan of the transmission. Especially pulling that big of a load. I think you would take a big hit in the reliability department. I have a Duramax in addition to our Sequoia but my Dad also has a 2010 Tundra. And there is a HUGE difference between towing with a truck that has 400 lb/ft of torque and a diesel that has 750+ lb/ft or more. If you towed that load regularly, I'd upgrade for sure. Trucks designed to tow 23,000 lb loads will do what you're asking like its a Sunday stroll in the park. BTW- don't have reservations about the quality of GM's HD pickups. The Duramax engine paired with an Allison transmission will run 250,000 easy. I know some guys that have more than 500,000 miles on their original motor and transmission that tow regularly. And you're getting a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty right out of the box. Same warranty with a Ram I believe.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
The Sequoia has the component size to pull that load w/o issue. I run the TRD SC on my Tundra, it is a joy while towing large loads... the extra torque is awesome, and the drivetrain has no issue with it.

I recommend fresh fluid in the trans, a drain of the pan once a year replaces about 30% of the fluid and refreshes the TBN and additives. Being in the south, consider at least 5W30 in the engine, some heavier weight synthetic gear oils in the diffs, and maybe the transfer if you tow in AWD.

You won't be gaining anything in the braking department on a 3/4 ton. Some of the latest 1 tons might have a slightly larger brakes. I would get better trailer brakes and start with a higher quality stock sized rotor with a more aggressive pad. If that dosn't do it for you the TRD kit is decent, I finally have some upgrades on the horizon that might work for you, too.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Brian, what are the HP and torque specs on a 5.7 with that TRD blower? Just curious, I've never really looked at one. Does adding that impact your shift patterns or when the torque converter locks or unlocks? I'm not all that familiar with how that system works together.

To the OP- The other thing that was a consideration for me personally is how well the vehicle can control the load behind me if I need to make a high speed avoidance maneuver and/or brake hard. If I'm hauling down the highway with my wife and kids and something pops out in front of me, I want to be damn confident my vehicle will control the trailer no problem. I'm not saying a Sequoia or Tundra wouldn't, but an 8,000 lb. truck designed to do twice what you're asking it to gives you a lot more margin of capability. Most people call that overkill (because it is) but that's just how I am. I also like setting the cruise wherever I want and cruising down the highway in 6th gear up and down hills all day long. The constant up and down shifting in my gasser trucks drove me nuts!

But at the end of the day, the goal is to get the boat to the water for play time and you can do that either way so its all good!

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Jim, the TRD SC pushes output to 504hp and 550tq. Exhaust and headers will add a bit to those numbers. While it's not 750tq, it does extremely well. The ECU is reflashed by the dealer and I suspect just about every parameter is moddified to ensure durability... I need to look it up again, but recall timing changes and increased line pressure. It's a great and very thoroughly designed system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also own a dirtymax and that is what you really should be pulling you trailers with. I just recently pulled a boat with my 2011 sequoia and it did the job. But if i were home and had the choice i would have grabbed the gmc keys in a heart beat. gl just my .02!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Jowett Engineering, hey there interested in the TRD SC kit on the 5.7....Did your local Toyota Dealer have to bring in someone special for the install or was the expertise? Just wondering if my local dealership could do this is I go this route...thanks, CSM-H

Jim, the TRD SC pushes output to 504hp and 550tq. Exhaust and headers will add a bit to those numbers. While it's not 750tq, it does extremely well. The ECU is reflashed by the dealer and I suspect just about every parameter is moddified to ensure durability... I need to look it up again, but recall timing changes and increased line pressure. It's a great and very thoroughly designed system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Sequoia Platinum with the automatic self leveling, the cooled tran and the air bags. I am pulling a 35' trailer with a 6300 dry weight. I am thinking about the SC.

In addition to the air bags and the self leveling suspension I think the next best thing I got is the hitch, I have a Propride hitch, it makes a world of difference.

I got the SUV mainly for the kids to be comfortable on long rides, if I did not have that requirement I would have gone with a truck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is a super old thread, but I have a 2008 Sequoia with air suspension. I see here someone has installed additional airbags as well - to help control bounce/weight. I'm thinking of getting a heavier trailer, might be 9k loaded, and also we travel with all 7 of us (we love our sequoia). I have already upgraded front struts/rear shocks and tires and it has really stiffened thigns up already, but was thinking about even tighter shocks and either ripping out the factory air suspension and putting in the thickest springs I can find, and adding airbags... thoughts on this? Or keeping air suspension? I need a 7 rider and Suburban has no legroom compared to sequoia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011 Sequoia Platinum with the automatic self leveling, the cooled tran and the air bags. I am pulling a 35' trailer with a 6300 dry weight. I am thinking about the SC.

In addition to the air bags and the self leveling suspension I think the next best thing I got is the hitch, I have a Propride hitch, it makes a world of difference.

I got the SUV mainly for the kids to be comfortable on long rides, if I did not have that requirement I would have gone with a truck

Hey do you still have this setup? Just curious if you added aftermarket airbags with your self levelling suspension? I looked under mine (it also has factory self levelling suspension) however it doesn't appear there is any more room to add airbags. Or did I misunderstand you and you still have the stock airbags, (as you referred to both self levelling as well as airbags) - are they not both one in the same thing?

I was thinking about ripping out my factory rear load levelling air suspension and put in thick springs and firestone airbags to keep things level. The company says it adds about 1000lb extra capacity to the rear suspension to avoid sag etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts