Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure that you all know of my delima; 13 misfires, since I installed the TRD Supercharger.Toyota Canada Tech. Services have told the Dealership to stop spending anymore time and money on my truck. The Master Tech. was told that the misfires are caused by my truck being lifted and also having bigger tires:laughing3d:. I have filed a complaint with Toyota Canada, and I requested proof of their theory.

Misfire Codes only occur in Cylinders 1,3,5,7
Last 6 misfires occured from Cyl. 1
Work Done
-new plugs
-swapped coils and injectors
-checked valve clearances
-pressure 195-200 Psi
-new hydraulic adjusters
-checked MAF & intake
-new ECU
-swapped VVT

So the question is, does anyone else with the same type of mods on their truck have this same issue?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
what a load of crap, big tires causing engine misfire......sounds like toyota canada can't figure it out and figures they will use your tires and lift as an out.....I don't envy you, I would be furious in your shoes....After fighting with my dealer about a relatively minor (compared to your issue anyway) leaking battery and see how helpful they were, I can't imagine being in your shoes especially given the cost of the supercharger.....gotta say, Toyota is starting to put a bad taste in my mouth.....love my truck but....

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cliff clavin Re: Toyota Canada Tech. Services (TRD SC Tundra)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what a load of crap, big tires causing engine misfire......sounds like toyota canada can't figure it out and figures they will use your tires and lift as an out.....I don't envy you, I would be furious in your shoes....After fighting with my dealer about a relatively minor (compared to your issue anyway) leaking battery and see how helpful they were, I can't imagine being in your shoes especially given the cost of the supercharger.....gotta say, Toyota is starting to put a bad taste in my mouth.....love my truck but....
Thanks for your feedback, hopefully Sparks Toyota jumps in for assistance; and by saying that, I mean,if they have heard of such a situation like mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You didn't have any running issues until the charger was installed.something is obviously wrong.can you feel the missfires? do they set under boost or normal driving? does the engine run smoothly at idle? i'm guessing you have a vacuum leak.:confused:

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does not happen all the time, at Wide Open Throttle. I am sure the Tech checked the hoses when inspecting the Maf & intake. What really scared me is that, on a couple of occassions while trying to merge into traffic it has happened; NOT COOL.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What's the firing pattern on these trucks? Or a better question, what is the cylinder layout? 1357, is that all on one side(driver's side)? If so, why on one side? I would have to consider that during troubleshooting... Like 2K19TRD mentioned, possible leak.... If not the charger itself...

I've only had one CEL with mine.... I was turning hard over to the right and matted it.... I think it was caused by fuel slosh with a somewhat empty tank and it dropped pressure.... I've never been able to duplicate it since...
I never bothered to pull the code....

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lift and tires were on before SC, with no issues. Firing order is 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2. The Master Tech. still wants to fix it, but was told "you are done". So I have to wait and see if there is any responses from other lifted trucks in North America with the same issue. If there is not, well this is more fire power for me too work with. I have told the Tech. that awhile back a couple of people had the chargers replaced, but I could not remember why. I will check hoses myself (No cracks and all tight, just verified).
Keep the suggestions coming guys, it is very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What is the cylinder layout? Is it just mis-firing on one side of the engine?

For instance... is 1357 on one side and 2468 on the other?
Or is 1234 on one side, and 5678 on the other?

To me, this would say allot....

I'm just not familiar with this engine.... although I've read that it was spec'd from GM's 350...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Another question...and please excuse my ignorance...
But I thought I read something about lifted trucks causing drama with VSC....

I can't remember what it was about...just thought I read something about it...

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Their contention is nonsense of course....just another warranty evasion tactic. The lift and tires does add load to the drivetrain, which can increase combustion chamber temperatures and theoretically cause detonation indirectly, but there should be enough margin in the system to deal with this and more.

The truck is rated to tow > 10000 lbs, which remains true with the supercharger. The engine will experience many times more load while towing to capacity with stock ride height and tires than it would without a tow and with the lift / tires. The TRD supercharger was originally developed with towing in mind.

Unless Toyota can provide a document which derates most their towing capacity after the supercharger is installed, they cannot deny the warranty on a lifted truck as stated.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is misfiring on one side of the engine. I am trying to find the engine layout which states this (cylinders = left bank/right bank). The service Tech. told me, but I keep forgetting (left, right); I am so frustrated right now; sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Cylinder numbering starts on the driver's side front going left to right just like a GM. 1,3,5 and 7 are on the driver's side.

I would say the misfire codes are either due to a manifold/sc air leak on the driver's side or a problem with the wiring harness to the injectors (i.e common power wire to the DS injector bank). I would also definitely check the power brake booster and the check valve along with the intake gaskets, if you haven't already done so. The more I think about it, it sounds electrical to me because of how intermittent the problem is.

What is the cylinder layout? Is it just mis-firing on one side of the engine?

For instance... is 1357 on one side and 2468 on the other?
Or is 1234 on one side, and 5678 on the other?

To me, this would say allot....

I'm just not familiar with this engine.... although I've read that it was spec'd from GM's 350...

·
Registered
228 Posts
And don't forget that elongated nibbling pin, that you added when you jacked it up.......Im sure that has the same amount to do with it as the larger tires do........

All I can say is you are a true gentleman to even listen to that BS. I would have been in arm swinging mode with the dealer ship GM.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for your input.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Have you done a compression test?

I would get a hold of probe camera and make sure you don't have carbon build up on any pistons or in the CC.

Have you always ran good gas?

I agree with others that any intake leaks could reak havoc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had problems with my sc as well but my miss fire was finially found to be a bad injector but your with all one side misfiring sounds like some kind of electrical problem to that side.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
20 minutes too half hour min. for warm up. Never below 1/2 tank of fuel also.
Used Octanes 91 - 94 from 4 different Gas Vendors.
Technician stated that it runs lean for awhile then levels out, when trending on laptop (Techstream); ok, whatever that means. He also suggested the upgraded fuel pump could be the culprit, but that would suggest that there should be misfires on the passanger side bank:confused:. Another theory he has is that since I am hooking up so well (wider tires), it is causing the crank shaft to twist aliitle:laughing3d: The Dealership should get another set of eyes to help out troublshooting this issue. It has been over a year now.:td:
When a misfire occurs you loose power/torque; goes in limp mode (safety mode).
Compression test on all cylinders revealed a range of 195 - 200 Psi.:tu:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would think that the tranny would give before the crank twists.... dunno

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Another theory he has is that since I am hooking up so well (wider tires), it is causing the crank shaft to twist aliitle :laughing3d:
Seriously, I highly doubt the crank windage is detectable by the ECM to the point it will cause cam phasing problems.

It's possible that a marginal fuel pump can cause one side to run leaner based on how the fuel rails are fed. If it's worse when it's cold, it could be overboosting slightly to the point the fuel pump can't keep up with the target A/F ratio.

Another option could also be the driver side upstream O2 sensor - even though the ECM runs in open loop at WOT, it still can look at the O2 sensors for "lean trends" under part throttle boost (IOW it's learning a bogus A/F ratio based on incorrect sensor performance) comparing both banks of cylinders. The ECM will learn various part throttle A/F characteristics and apply these to WOT fueling. These new Toyota ECMs are much slicker than we give them credit.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tech. also checked fuel injector balance and coil firing voltages - all ok.
I also had Brian @ Streetacos fab me up a better Carrier Bearing bracket (2 3/4" drop). They (Toyota) said that this was a great idea and should extend the life of the u-joints etc.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts